Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Tundra 5.7 with only 12,000 miles. Yesterday I thought I would check the air filter, oil, etc. (I check oil about once per month and it has never used a drop) Upon checking the air filter, I have big problems. Mice had been living in the air filter box, there was about 20 hickory nuts, hickory nut shavings and other debris. They ate through the air filter itself in 3 or 4 places. I checked the oil and it was almost 2 quarts low. Throughout this, it has never missed or thrown a CEL. Has ran perfectly. Today, I changed the oil and put in a new filter and put rat wire over the air box opening.

Could the debris have caused the sudden oil usage? What other problems could I have?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Off the top of my head I am wondering if something got inside your engine and scratched the walls of one or more of the cylinders.
The sudden oil usage seems to be a huge concern. If I were you I would take it to a shop and have them use a bore scope and take some pictures of inside the cylinders.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Now that you've cleaned up the evidence...uh, I mean serviced the truck....I would fill the oil to the full mark, and watch it closely. If it drops again, take it to the dealer and play dumb....It's using oil, can you check it out please.

No chance it just didn't get full on the last change? Burning 2 quarts a month would smoke like a beeotch, I would think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that you've cleaned up the evidence...uh, I mean serviced the truck....I would fill the oil to the full mark, and watch it closely. If it drops again, take it to the dealer and play dumb....It's using oil, can you check it out please.

No chance it just didn't get full on the last change? Burning 2 quarts a month would smoke like a beeotch, I would think.
Thanks for the advice. Possible it was unfilled as dealer did it as part of "free service" for 2 years. If engine damage was caused by debris through air intake, could they determine this and thus void warranty?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Bummer.

I would go with the notion that it was underfilled. Sometimes you get "lucky" and it's two completely unrelated things happening at the same time.

I'm guessing the oil change was done at 10k? 2qt in 2,000 miles is 1qt/1k, and I don't know if Toyota would consider that "excessive" consumption. I would, especially at this low level of miles; but it might fly under the radar. 1qt/1k won't blow blue smoke, you have to get below like 100miles/qt before you start to trail blue smoke. Goes to show why one should check their oil level like at every fill up, or at least every 1k.

Some people drive with no air filter at all. Not a good way to drive, it will wear the engine out quickly. But I'm going to guess that it's just plain too early to tell here. Clean out the mess, put in some rat traps, and monitor the situation. I have a tough time believing that ingested acorn nuts would score the cylinder walls, so I might not mention that to the dealer, if you ever try to warrenty this at a later date.

Reactions: Ogtoyfan and Chas
1 - 7 of 7 Posts