Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 2017 tundra and was wondering if there was a way to adjust the mileage when the message comes on. with the synthetic oil i only change every 10000 miles not 5000 miles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I rotate tires and change oil at 10,000. It has worked very well. Tires are wearing nice and even and I am getting good life out of them. Been doing this for 10 years now.
What mileage do you get out of your tires? My 2016 DC Ltd only has 26K on it and the tires appear to be getting close to replacement time. My driving is about 70% city,28% hiway (about 2% of hiway is towing an enclosed cargo trailer of about 3500 lbs), and rarely on a good dirt road to get to the shooting range. Guess I'll soon know if they really need changing once the snow shows up!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I get 60-70K out of a set of tires. I run the stock Michelin tires the Tundra's come with. I also am careful to keep my tires aired up correctly and I watch for unusual wear. If the outside edges are getting more wear than the middle, I add a couple psi to take the pressure off the edges, and I seem to find that the tires wear best with about 33-35 psi. I also only rotate front to back, never criss cross. My driving is 80% highway, never any dirt roads, never any off roading.

With in town driving, watch the feathering on the front tires. Some is always going to happen, but don't let it get too bad before you rotate. If it gets bad, change them side to side so they get straightened out. Adding more air pressure to the tires helps with edge feathering, but don't add more than 2-4 psi over the recommended pressure on the door post (I think it says 31 psi front and 33 psi rear). As I said, I am usually running 33-35 psi (all 4 tires at the same pressure). Too much air pressure will cause the center of the tire to wear more than the edges, so adjust your pressure so the tires wear as evenly across the face of the tire as possible.

For oil, I run Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20 and Fram Tough Guard oil filters. I use about 1 quart of oil in 10,000 miles. One Tip: You can buy 5 qts of Mobil 1 at Walmart for about $22-24.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts