Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I keep expecting my maint light to come on so I can change the oil, but I swear I'm at about 5600 miles since I reset it and it has still not come on. Still waiting....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just did my 10k service which includes my first oil change. Light came flashing @9800k.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Weird. Mine blinks at me around 4800 miles. Does your flash when you start up? I don't remember mine actually turning solid, just blinks.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I think its 2010 and up come on near 10k, 07-09 come on around 5k.

When Toyota started including free maintenance ( oil changes ) when you bought a new tundra, they extended the oil change interval.

Reactions: Mickey

·
Registered
442 Posts
So do they program that into the ECU?

Reactions: Mickey

·
Registered
34 Posts
I do remember the flashing light near 5k mark as well. Prolly around 4800 miles.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Every 4850 miles on my truck

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mines a 2008 with 36,700 miles and my light has not come on since last change at 31,150. No flash on start up either. Weird!

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
From factory, reguardless of oil change interval, the Maintenance Required light (which can not be changed for the interval) blinks for 5 seconds at startup after 4,500 miles from last reset and will stay solid after 5,000 miles.

This is set this way because per the owners manual, every 5,000 miles there is a tire rotation scheduled, even if the oil is on a 10,000 cycle. The light is only a reminder light and does not have a sensor reading the quality of your oil or anything at all, it is strictly an odometer light reading 4,500 and 5,000 miles. If the light has not come on, but you know you performed your last service interval, perform your next service when it is due, reguardless if the light is on or not.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
From factory, reguardless of oil change interval, the Maintenance Required light (which can not be changed for the interval) blinks for 5 seconds at startup after 4,500 miles from last reset and will stay solid after 5,000 miles.

This is set this way because per the owners manual, every 5,000 miles there is a tire rotation scheduled, even if the oil is on a 10,000 cycle. The light is only a reminder light and does not have a sensor reading the quality of your oil or anything at all, it is strictly an odometer light reading 4,500 and 5,000 miles. If the light has not come on, but you know you performed your last service interval, perform your next service when it is due, reguardless if the light is on or not.
Thanks for the info. Good to know a rep is in house. Thanks for your service too. 21 year Navy here 1982-2003.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Don't worry!! If you wait long enough ALL the dash lights will come on! :eek:;):D

That's good right there!! I change the stuff when it needs to be changed regardless if a light comes on and tells me....We all would be lost if we woke up and we were all driving a 1978 Chvy or Ford with no " change oil lights" haha....Funny how dependent we have become on technology...

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
I think its 2010 and up come on near 10k, 07-09 come on around 5k.

When Toyota started including free maintenance ( oil changes ) when you bought a new tundra, they extended the oil change interval.
Ha Ha....No, They started using synthetic oils and extended the maint interval.

I change my oil at 10K because oil analysis said that my mobil one can go that long not because toyota said 10K is a good number. I rotate my tires every 10K when I change the oil.

If I could disconnect that stupid maintenance reminder system I would. I just reset it when it starts flashing just so it'll go away.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's good right there!! I change the stuff when it needs to be changed regardless if a light comes on and tells me....We all would be lost if we woke up and we were all driving a 1978 Chvy or Ford with no " change oil lights" haha....Funny how dependent we have become on technology...
It's not I depend on it it's that I wonder why it's not working, and what else might not be working properly. Oh and by the way my other cars are a 1959 Belair and a 1954 pickup. Imagine that. No TPMS. OH GOD NO!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts