Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of research I finally decided on a Magnaflow dual in/single out cat back exhaust. Found a slightly used one locally for $200 so I was stoked to try it out. Was looking for a little power bump and a throatier sound when asked for, but tame and quiet the rest of the time.

Installed it easily today and it sounded great on start up. Drove down the road and my heart quickly sank. The drone was unbearable. It was muted and nice until it hit about 1600rpm, then the howl took over the cab and increased up to 1900rpm when it disappeared. This happens in every gear, at any speed as long as the rpms are in that range. Of course most of my driving is in that range, so off it comes tomorrow.

Chalk me up for another with the dreaded drone. Take your chances.

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
Magnaflow systems are junk, but the truth is drone will appear with many aftermarket exhausts. I had the same issue with a Borla, which had otherwise excellent fit and finish. The solution to drone is to build a Helmholtz resonator. This is nothing more than a 26" long tube made from exhaust pipe. This can be welded into your tailpipe about half ways between the rear of the muffler and the outlet of the tailpipe. This requires cutting a hole in your tailpipe of course, and cap off the tube at the other end. This will stop the drone completely, as though a switch has been turned off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts