Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After more than 4 years of wanting a Rock Warrior, I finally pulled the trigger on a 2011 Crew Max. I found it on AutoTrader.com from a private party. Although it had a couple cosmetic flaws, it was priced right and in excellent shape otherwise. I didn't fully understand how awesome these trucks are until my drive home in it. Wow, Tundras are really great trucks.

I had the opportunity to drive a Chevy Silverado 4x4 and F150 4x4, both full 4 door models, this past summer on Overhead Wildland Fire assignments. The Silverado was unimpressive, but the F150 was very nice. However, my Tundra blows them both away in power, handling, comfort and looks. You just can't beat a Toyota, trust me, this is my 8th.

On to the Build:

My plan is to keep it simple. I think these trucks look great with a mild lift, larger tires and stock wheels. I love the look of the Rock Warrior wheels and they are built solid, so they are staying on. There's not much else I plan on changing. With that being said, here is my projected list of mods. They may change as time goes on and more research is done, but it's going to look something like this:

SUSPENSION:
Bilstein 6112 front coil overs
Bilstein 5160 rear shocks
Total Chaos UCA's
CB +2 shackles

or

TRD PRO shocks front & rear
Total Chaos UCA's
CB +1 shackles

WHEELS & TIRES
Rock Warrior 17" Wheels
BFG A/T KO2 35x12.5x17

PERFORMANCE
TRD CAI
BA Muffler

EXTERIOR
Darker tint front/rear
Shorter antenna
Line-X bed
Bed rails

INTERIOR
WeatherTech floor mats
LED lights
Katzkin leather

As of 11/27/15

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Curious your thoughts now owning one: I have looked at Rockwarriors myself since I really just love the style overall even without any mods. One thing I notced, other than the suspension 'upgrade" is that it seems like RW models are pretty stripped down Tundras in the big picture...not that its a huge deal but most Ive found don't even have power seats, cd changer, or even the 'info' buttons..let alone a sunroof option. Reguardless - I like them still and would take one! I currently have a Doublecab and want CM badly. I have not even tested another brand, so what was the biggest thing that sold you on the Tundra again? I think its clear to most people 'comparing' that the 2nd Gen Tundra are nearly as 'refined' as the newer fords / chevys etc..and as you stated they can be very nice as well..Just curious!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@rptipton You really hit the nail on the head. They are a stripped down Tundra, but that's what I like. There's NO chrome, except the faux bead locks, the interior is blacked out, and it's clean looking. Honestly, I drove the newer ford and Silverado and didn't like all of the ancillaries. The only thing I'd like is power seats since my wife drives the Tundra fairly often. There are fewer things to go wrong, not that Toyotas have a problem with that. If had purchased anything other than a RW, if have to paint all the chrome to match. Finally, with the RW you are getting a special vehicle, like the current PRO models. It's something "different". Get one! You'll have zero regrets.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Love the white. Welcome ,good luck with the build and it will never stop.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I love my rock warrior wheels as well. Only thing i am not happy about is the beadlock ring bolts. One came out and now i can't get a new one to thread in, the bolts are too short. I think i am going to have to go to discount tire and have them remove the wheel then break the tire from the wheel. That will remove pressure from the bead protector lip of the tire which is causing the gap between the wheel and bead lock ring.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Detail begins

The PO told me he had the truck detailed not long before I bought it. Either he and I have two different definitions of "detail" or he got the worst detailer ever. The paint is in good condition, but it needs to be brought back to life.

I have all the gear to do a decent detail myself, so I'm going to save myself $200+ and do it. It's a big truck and I don't have all day to devote to detailing it, so I'm going to do a panel at a time.

Here's what I'm using:

I'm a fan of the Meguiar's products. After washing and claying its ready for the good stuff. The paint Correction Compound removes swirl marks and brings back the luster of the paint. Then I finish with the Finishing Wax.

Before and after:

Hard to tell in the pic, but the quarter panel is glossy smooth and has crisp reflections. The hood is rough and dull.

Hopefully I'll have the entire truck done in a week... right before it rains :|

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The PO told me he had the truck detailed not long before I bought it. Either he and I have two different definitions of "detail" or he got the worst detailer ever. The paint is in good condition, but it needs to be brought back to life.

I have all the gear to do a decent detail myself, so I'm going to save myself $200+ and do it. It's a big truck and I don't have all day to devote to detailing it, so I'm going to do a panel at a time.

Here's what I'm using:

I'm a fan of the Meguiar's products. After washing and claying its ready for the good stuff. The paint Correction Compound removes swirl marks and brings back the luster of the paint. Then I finish with the Finishing Wax.

Before and after:

Hard to tell in the pic, but the quarter panel is glossy smooth and has crisp reflections. The hood is rough and dull.

Hopefully I'll have the entire truck done in a week... right before it rains :|

I've used the Wolfgang kit on my truck and the results are incredible. I highly recommend their products. I've tried everything from 3m to flash and all the big box store brands and Wolfgang is my favorite by far.

Reactions: MrLukie

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A couple recent additions thanks to Santa. I got the 13" AntennaX because the reviews were decent and I really like the look. Now I don't see the stock antenna whipping back and forth out of the corner of my eye.

Admittedly, I have a full on flashlight addiction. As of my newest addition, I officially have nowhere to put them all. Regardless, this powerful little Streamlight fit perfectly in the center console and is provided power from the AC outlet.

Finally, we have a trip in a couple weeks to the desert and are renting a travel trailer. The trailer has electric brakes, so I installed a Prodigy P2 Brake Controller. I ordered the wiring harness and in all it took 5 minutes to install. It will come in handy when we finally purchase a trailer of our own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Originally, I was going to wait until I lifted the truck to put a new bumper on, but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on this. I really like the Addictive Desert Design front bumper. It has great lines and looks like it provides good protection. I'm going to look into having a cap fabricated for the top of the bumper to fill in the gap between the bumper and the front of the truck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Truck looks great man. I almost pulled the trigger on that bumper as well but ended up going another direction. And the black rock rings look super clean.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My waiting paid off! BFG recently released the new KM3 tire, so I got a set in 315/70/17. They fit perfectly with only a very slight rub on the skid plate. I'll easily take care of that with a little bend. I'm stoked on how it looks. I'll have more info on rode quality, etc after dinner time behind the wheel. Thank you @ discounttire!Great customer service as always.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
450 Posts
Can you get a picture of the rub? I am looking at new tires for my rig (2013 RW Crewmax). Did you have to level it at all?

My waiting paid off! BFG recently released the new KM3 tire, so I got a set in 315/70/17. They fit perfectly with only a very slight rub on the skid plate. I'll easily take care of that with a little bend. I'm stoked on how it looks. I'll have more info on rode quality, etc after dinner time behind the wheel. Thank you @ discounttire!Great customer service as always.
\

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can you get a picture of the rub? I am looking at new tires for my rig (2013 RW Crewmax). Did you have to level it at all?
Tank, the rub is so minimal there's nothing to take a pic of. It only rubbed at full lock and moderate articulation. I'm on a fire for a couple of weeks, but I'll try to take a pic when I get home.

I have done zero suspension lift so far.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts