Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never used Lucas oil products. What do you think of the Lucas Oil Products Pure Synthetic Oil Stabilizer?

Thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
From what I have been told, it is supposed to be pretty good stuff. One of the better oil additives on the market. This has been by several people, including friends who work in shops, who are not necessarily trying to sell me something. So I tend to trust their opinion. However, I don't see much need for it or any additive, if you do regular maintenance with quality products to begin with.

My personal experience with it... I was using it with oil changes in my previous truck, and noticed no difference good or bad. I only had that truck 2.5 years though. Other than that, We used lucas oil additives on an old shop truck that was in pretty bad shape back when I worked in a shop in high school. Some fresh gas, oil change, new plugs, half azz throttle body cleaning, and of course some lucas additives and truck seemed to run just well enough. I couldn't tell you what it was that helped or if it was a combo of all, but something worked. That old F-150 just would not give up, and it got treated like crap.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
However, I don't see much need for it or any additive, if you do regular maintenance with quality products to begin with.
And that's all that needs to be said.
Additives and all that autozone snake oil crap is the same as "extra" gun laws every time something goes wrong.
Feel-good horseshit to make you feel like you did something, because you don't know how things actually work or how to do it right in the first place.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would ask why you feel the need to “stabilize” your oil... What makes you think it’s unstable?
Its a marketing name. If you could sell the same product under a similar name for large profit, you'd do the same thing.

I only asked a question. I didn't say..... my oil was unstable or that I needed to stabilize it.

In all honesty, I don't like how my engine sounds at times throughout the year like it does. I have never liked it. In fact, I think I have begun to hate it.

Granted, I've been mechanical all my life. I've worked on my farr share or automobiles. I know why it does it. I just don't like it. The STUPID Obama administration's EPA put in place minimum MPG requirements that caused the manufactures to do things they would have NEVER done otherwise. This created monopolies that gather BIG monies for investors. Which is EXACTLY why the OBAMA EPA did what they did.

I was thinking about trying it to see if cold starts wouldn't "sound" so bad.

That's all.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And that's all that needs to be said.
Additives and all that autozone snake oil crap is the same as "extra" gun laws every time something goes wrong.
Feel-good horseshit to make you feel like you did something, because you don't know how things actually work or how to do it right in the first place.
What about the "snake oil" from the EPA that created Ethanol and 0-20 oils?

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
I wonder how much 20 wt oil improves fuel efficiency, over 30 wt.
It must be a substantial improvement for a company like Toyota to compromise engine longevity for the sake of making the EPA happy.
My truck averages a hair over 14 MPG. I'd say that's pretty close to what most folks with the 5.7 and 4wd get.
Must be a lot worse for guys running 5w30. No?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder how much 20 wt oil improves fuel efficiency, over 30 wt.
It must be a substantial improvement for a company like Toyota to compromise engine longevity for the sake of making the EPA happy.
My truck averages a hair over 14 MPG. I'd say that's pretty close to what most folks with the 5.7 and 4wd get.
Must be a lot worse for guys running 5w30. No?
I get 14.5 so I got you beat. :)

Automobile engines have been around a very long time. LONG before 0-20 weight oil. Many of them did just fine with the old tech oils.

Think about it. Lets say you can get a .10 to .20 MPG increase by the "numbers" because "real world" has never mattered to the EPA....

You average that increase over millions of vehicles sold over the year and by the "numbers"..... it "adds" up.

I just gave my opinion and I said why I asked my question. I'm not wanting to argue over it but I'm no idiot....

I'm all for synthetic oils. They can seriously refine oil now till it looks almost like water. I bought a bottle of the Lucas to just take a look at it and it is seriously almost as clear as water.

It might not make any difference. Just looking for opinions. Thanks for sharing your opinion. I sincerely appreciate it. I might disagree with you and that ok and good. Thanks.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
Sorry, this is the Lucas thread. Not sure how it ended up on the 0w20 discussion.
At any rate, I was seriously curious as to why anyone thinks 20 improves fuel efficiency but doesn't protect the engines as well. And if someone could explain the science behind why that's true, or why they think that. I figured there was a legitimate reason behind saying such things.
I guess I'll have research it to see if there's anything to it.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, this is the Lucas thread. Not sure how it ended up on the 0w20 discussion.
At any rate, I was seriously curious as to why anyone thinks 20 improves fuel efficiency but doesn't protect the engines as well. And if someone could explain the science behind why that's true, or why they think that. I figured there was a legitimate reason behind saying such things.
I'm personally skeptical of 20 weight being enough at times but who knows for sure. Time will tell in the longevity department.

·
Premium Member
8,114 Posts
This seems to hit right in that wheelhouse.

https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/03/f8/deer11_fenske.pdf

Look at this guy, he's running 0W20 on a 17K change interval. The analysis is posted
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4713683/Mobil_1_AFE_0W/20,_17,304,_182

This is some good Q/A on Bob is the oil guy:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/lower-viscosity-grades-round-3/

Yikes:
The SAE recently approved the definition of 16 weight oils and the API has introduced them into their licensable specs, you can expect this to be the next “new” standard weight of oil on the market.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its a marketing name. If you could sell the same product under a similar name for large profit, you'd do the same thing.

I only asked a question. I didn't say..... my oil was unstable or that I needed to stabilize it.

In all honesty, I don't like how my engine sounds at times throughout the year like it does. I have never liked it. In fact, I think I have begun to hate it.

Granted, I've been mechanical all my life. I've worked on my farr share or automobiles. I know why it does it. I just don't like it. The STUPID Obama administration's EPA put in place minimum MPG requirements that caused the manufactures to do things they would have NEVER done otherwise. This created monopolies that gather BIG monies for investors. Which is EXACTLY why the OBAMA EPA did what they did.

I was thinking about trying it to see if cold starts wouldn't "sound" so bad.

That's all.
POS

·
Registered
10 Posts
lucas oil products are the best one i ever used i have several options avaible in the market but the lucas are the best ever!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts