Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first post. I’m not new to Toyota trucks but my 2015 rclb is my first half ton. My tires aren’t doing very well in the snow and ice right now so I’m looking into new tires. Im looking at Cooper at3 4s as I want the winter performance. They are however not LT tires... do I really need LT if I go off-roading on rocks and actual tough terrain maybe 5 times a year for hunting and fishing and don’t haul much? I have the truck mainly for towing and utility.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree that they hold up better, but Toyota didn't put LT tires on mine from the factory.. P Metrics will give you a smoother ride with better gas mileage, while LT tires will give you stronger sidewalls and reinforce chords for better towing. If your p metric tires meet the load rating for whatever you're hauling then you should be fine, but they will certainly wear out faster.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, now for part 2:

I searched and can’t seem to find an answer to a seemingly simple query, how big can I go on a stock 2015 sr5 4x4? I was thinking 275/70-18. That size looks great on my buddies tundra but he has a levelling kit

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a sticky in the wheels/tires area that has that info, but YMMV depending upon the actual brand of tires you choose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Those Coopers are all season. Nothing wrong with that but I would highly recommend winter specific tires if you really want performance in ice and snow. Also, if you are able to, nothing wrong with two sets of tires that are switched out each season. That is what I do and I don’t regret it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I learned the hard way, 10 ply all the way. All it takes is once to cut a tire in sharp rocks. Changing a tire in rough terrain makes the extra expense worth it. Cooper is a good brand. I ran them on several trucks. I’m a nitto terra grappler fan these days. My 2010 is on its 4th set. All it’s ever had on it. Good in all but the worst mud. Great in sand and rocks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I find the LT tires hold up much better than the p metric tires. If you do anything other than carry passengers on the highway, I think LT is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I run Cooper LT on my 2019 and they are great. I had a 2011 tundra before and also ran Cooper LT on it. Can't recommend them enough. They are ten ply and last for several years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts