Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1221 - 1240 of 1296 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have been rocking the rear level since December. Rides just like stock with less body roll feel in the cab. I got rear helper bags from SOS for towing/hauling.

Last week I dropped the front 2.5"(images to come on that-a few projects on the truck in the works) but here is it with the rear tr.375 only

]

·
Registered
482 Posts
I am lowering the rear to match the stock height of the front.

The new rear leaf springs will not be here for a few weeks, but my new front coil springs & Bilsteins are here.

Questions:

Should I wait for leaf springs to arrive, and do this all at once?

OR

Should I install the front now, and install the rear springs, SOS kit & TRD sway bar when the leaf springs arrive a few weeks from now?

Thanks

·
Registered
406 Posts
H2O Man - I'd wait and install everything at once

·
Registered
406 Posts
Finally got around to taking a few pics with the new KMC wheels and Borla exhaust. I know it looks horrible with the mud flaps, but had to put them back on temporarily until they finish a bunch of road repaving projects in our area. Tired of all the rock chips and kicked up tar from the freshly paved roads. Wanted a simple wheel that was easy to clean and ultimately these fit the bill.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have been rocking the rear level since December. Rides just like stock with less body roll feel in the cab. I got rear helper bags from SOS for towing/hauling.

Last week I dropped the front 2.5"(images to come on that-a few projects on the truck in the works) but here is it with the rear tr.375 only

]

Looks good but those step make it look funny. The lowered look with steps kinda kill the look for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts

]

Looks good but those step make it look funny. The lowered look with steps kinda kill the look for me.
Ya, I?ve considered taking them off, but I?m tired of selling stuff at a fraction of what I paid. These are pretty much new and my 3 year old gets good use out of em ?

This thread has been a great resource- thanks all. Wanted to continue to share now that I have put some miles with the drop.

The only noticeable difference is light bouncing when exiting freeway ramps. When I had just the rear dropped it was exactly like factory-I was very impressed with how the truck felt so smooth riding over bumps ect. I did the front and the road bumps became more noticeable- almost like when you change to skinnier tires- it?s not harsh, just not like riding on clouds when stock.Overall, kit is great. Had rub at stock height that went away once dropped ??*???

I did have a major concern before dropping I did not see address in my research- that was changing drive habits. I don?t drive like a dick, but I have always hated lowered cars driving so slow over speed bumps and approaching business entrance.

With 2.5? drop I can still ride over speed bumps going standard speeds.Have hit bump stops once and that was approaching a business entrance fast- like 35 mph without slowing down. Happy I can be as aggressive on the road as I want.

Well, here she is folks. Happy to have it all together- slowly been working on it for a year buying parts and learning how to paint just for this project. Hard to balance with kids.

How she will sit for a while- few things I need to tidy up including wet sand and buff the painted parts including grill, bulge, bumpers caps ect.

Issues encountered:
-Spyders are out of spec and have a gap
-Color match is slightly darker- flake is perfect
- xkglow 2 in one demon eyes/leds are low beam only

Mods:
-SOS performance 2.5/4.5 drop
-SOS Performance helped bags
-Diamondback Hd- color matched using Raptor Berliner
-pop & lock
-Nfab steps
-T-Rex Grill
-Spyder lights with Xkglow 2 in one Led/ demon eyes- Bluetooth controlled
-Rigid Radiance (Blue)
-305/45/r22 Incubus Shylock

On the short list:
-finish assembly of front end
-Buff painted parts
-lower rear to last hole- .5? lower
-Reverse light black out and Winjets
-wire fogs
-Stubby antenna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your truck looks nice. Don't change a thing.
One question for you....
After you installed everything, did you get an alignment, and did you have any issues?
Thanks man. No issues aligning. Truck aligns to factory specs.

Some assclown on Craigslist sold me some 24s. I went to install and it rode horrible- vibration and wobble. Went to put my wheels back on, got it alignment again and now I get steering wheel vibration from my wheels which previously rode great...

Going in for a routine 5k alignment/rotation this week- hope it clears up some of the steering wheel vibration. My previous truck had the same steering wheel vibration issue- seems common with aftermarket wheels

·
Registered
61 Posts
For all those that have lowered your Tundras....looking for some advice and recommendations.

I have a 2011 Tundra Double Cab, 2WD, SR5 TRD Off Road. I just bought the truck a week ago and would like to lower it 3" in the front and 5" rear. After doing alot of research lowering the truck more than a 2/4 means more tire wear. I considered the following kits:

Belltech 2/4 (441sp kit): Called Belltech but they said since I have the TRD their shocks will not fit the truck.
DJM2808-3/5 : Their kit only includes the rear flip and Callmax control arms...no shocks not coils.
TR2051 2/4: Must purchase rear short Billstein shocks, no coils. Heard great things about these kits...not to mention the customer service is top notch.
McGaughys 2/4 (98010): Haven't hear much about this kit.

Considering I would like close to 3/5....It looks like I might have to settle for a 2/4. Which doesn't look bad. Is there anyone who had a 2WD SR5 TRD truck who has lowered their truck?

Any recommendations, insights...your experience and knowledge will help me decide what to do here.
Thank You
Jim

·
Registered
406 Posts
We have a 2007 Crewmax LTD 2WD that had the TRD offroad package. Front is lowered 2" using Belltech Street Performance adjustable struts and rear lowered 4.5" with SOS Performance rear flip kit and Belltech Street Performance shocks. Ride quality is still good. If you want 3" in front I'd recommend McGaughy's 2" lowering spindle combined with Belltech strut or SOS spring perch for the additional 1" because I've heard the DJM kit throws off the front alignment.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
For all those that have lowered your Tundras....looking for some advice and recommendations.

I have a 2011 Tundra Double Cab, 2WD, SR5 TRD Off Road. I just bought the truck a week ago and would like to lower it 3" in the front and 5" rear. After doing alot of research lowering the truck more than a 2/4 means more tire wear. I considered the following kits:

Belltech 2/4 (441sp kit): Called Belltech but they said since I have the TRD their shocks will not fit the truck.
DJM2808-3/5 : Their kit only includes the rear flip and Callmax control arms...no shocks not coils.
TR2051 2/4: Must purchase rear short Billstein shocks, no coils. Heard great things about these kits...not to mention the customer service is top notch.
McGaughys 2/4 (98010): Haven't hear much about this kit.

Considering I would like close to 3/5....It looks like I might have to settle for a 2/4. Which doesn't look bad. Is there anyone who had a 2WD SR5 TRD truck who has lowered their truck?

Any recommendations, insights...your experience and knowledge will help me decide what to do here.
Thank You
Jim
I had the McGaughys on my trd. Lowering spindles up front and flip on the rear, I liked it, rode good and didn't have to replace anything else that way. Front spindles are the way to go as far as alignment goes. I did feel like I got more than 4" drop in the rear, probably more what you're looking for. When towing I ran bags so it wouldn't bottom out it was so low. I ran 22" wheels with a 33" tire equivalent on it. I'll try to find a pic of it for you.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'd like to join the group. Had the TRD lowering kit installed on Saturday.

·
Registered
893 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
It could the angle where the picture been taken.
It's look like back higher the front ? It's possible you take some more picture . What is the measurement between the center of back wheel to the rear fender?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I will try and get some measurements this weekend in between all my other crap to do. The front and rear are both lowered with the TRD kit. It's not a huge drop being a 2/4 kit.

It could the angle where the picture been taken.
It's look like back higher the front ? It's possible you take some more picture . What is the measurement between the center of back wheel to the rear fender?

1221 - 1240 of 1296 Posts