Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
I have been researching headers and exhaust systems for street use, and the Direct Connect system ARH offers looks really good.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I recently added a custom BAMuffler cat-back exhaust with Helmholtz device (black horizontal pipe), the factory tail-pipe had to be cut in order to clear my lowered rear suspension.

This exhaust system makes my truck feel 1000 lbs lighter, it's much more responsive than it was with the stock exhaust. I am currently looking at extending the tail-pipe straight back using the section of pipe I removed. This additional tail-pipe may allow me to delete the Helmholtz resonator... we shall see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great blog and great photos. I will be lowering mine. A few questions that I know you can help on, did you measure before the lower? Why did you change your leafs springs out? Do you think that had anything to do with having to add airbags later? Do you think there is enough room with a non-restrictive exhaust under there now with the flip, to install cat-back duals? That is all for now. I want my truck to look very similar to yours. it looks great, I think I have the same wheels as well. I will post before and after for sure before I start. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Great blog and great photos. I will be lowering mine. A few questions that I know you can help on, did you measure before the lower? Why did you change your leafs springs out? Do you think that had anything to do with having to add airbags later? Do you think there is enough room with a non-restrictive exhaust under there now with the flip, to install cat-back duals? That is all for now. I want my truck to look very similar to yours. it looks great, I think I have the same wheels as well. I will post before and after for sure before I start. Thanks for your time.
Thank you! I am having fun setting it up the way I want, and it's a blast to drive around town and on road trips.

Putting the axle on top of the axle lowered the rear by 3.25", and this was confirmed by my before & after measurements. My original leaf springs were toast so I went with new Alcans. I would have preferred using the originals to save money and utilize the overload spring. The air bags serve two purposes, prevent sagging when carrying a heavy load and to prevent the axle from contacting a cross-member.

I think you could install duals, but you will need to dump after crossing over the axle as I have done, or have tailpipes custom bent to come straight back without contacting the leaf pack on either side before turning out. The single tailpipe was cost effective for me, and I didn't lose any low end torque.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is all good news. I cannot tell the difference between your truck and a SOS kit that they are currently selling that is 2/5 kit, which moves the spring perches in front but uses OEM coils, but not OEM shocks. Since my rear at the fender well is 5 inches higher than my front, I just wonder what is going on with the truck, the difference in front to back. 36.5 in front, and a solid 41.5 in back. Do you happen to know how many leaves are in a stock spring, for the 5.7 RCSB 2010? I was trying to get by w/o air bags also, but I do use my truck from time to time but not every week. Do you have the 5.7?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I am currently looking at extending the tail-pipe straight back using the section of pipe I removed. This additional tail-pipe may allow me to delete the Helmholtz resonator... we shall see.
I was not unable to extend the tailpipe, but I was able to delete the resonator using a blocking plate that Dirty Deeds supplied. Also, I believe the Helmholtz works best with a full length tailpipe.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
This is all good news. I cannot tell the difference between your truck and a SOS kit that they are currently selling that is 2/5 kit, which moves the spring perches in front but uses OEM coils, but not OEM shocks. Since my rear at the fender well is 5 inches higher than my front, I just wonder what is going on with the truck, the difference in front to back. 36.5 in front, and a solid 41.5 in back. Do you happen to know how many leaves are in a stock spring, for the 5.7 RCSB 2010? I was trying to get by w/o air bags also, but I do use my truck from time to time but not every week. Do you have the 5.7?
Mine is a 2WD with the 5.7
Here is a look at the original springs, 3 plus the overload leaf. I imagine the rear on mine would have sat as high as yours if my original springs weren't as worn out as they were. I highly recommend the air lift kit and the shorter rear shocks (Bilstein part # 24-024792), I can't comment on lowering the front end as I left mine stock.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
How it sounds...the cell phone does not pick up the lower tones & rumble but they are present.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
H2O Man,

Did you notice any improvement in your highway fuel economy once you lowered your Tundra's suspension?

Lowering the rear involved the suspension, but it doesn't actually lower the suspension... the rear axle is the same distance above the road as it was when it left the factory. I didn't make any changes to the the front except replace the coils with fresh factory coils, it sits at factory height.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts