Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning

The other day I saw photos of an accident caused by a snapped lower ball joint in an 07 Tundra. The owner claims there had once been a recall for this.

Is this a problem? My DD 07 has 145k miles and I tow. I don't mind getting new ones for peace of mind, but what should I buy? OEM, Moog, or something better that you might recommend?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
No recall for those. Plus, the ball joints are actually made into the lower control arm. You'd have to replace the entire control arm to replace the ball joint.

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
As stated, no recall.

Yes, the lower BJ is built into the LCA, however, if you are creative and good at internet searching, you can find the replacement.

Dealers will show only available with the lower control arm...

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I have seen those press in replacements. They seem like a good value, but there have been 3 or 4 Tundras and a couple of Sequoias come in to the shop with these installed and having issues. Not saying they can't work, but they definitely can fail a lot quicker than the stock ones, especially if you're lifted at all.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
I have seen those press in replacements. They seem like a good value, but there have been 3 or 4 Tundras and a couple of Sequoias come in to the shop with these installed and having issues. Not saying they can't work, but they definitely can fail a lot quicker than the stock ones, especially if you're lifted at all.
I guess there are a few factors in replacement BJ's.

Installation error, and quality of the BJ itself. Moog, ok, chinese something or other... Well, likely not great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.