Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Trans-Immigrant
15,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys doing for back pain relief?

Every few months my back pain acts up.
I've had a x-ray done a few months ago at my chiropractor's office when it was really bad and my L5 - S1 disks are herniated...

Last time it flared up i was out of commission for almost a month.
I usually take Alleve for inflammation and when the pain is really bad i'll take a Vicodin, which doesnt cover the pain, but makes it tolerable.

·
"A Man Needs A Maid"
1,277 Posts

·
Trans-Immigrant
15,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
10,631 Posts
Extra Strength Robaxacet contains two active ingredients: 500 mg of acetaminophen to relieve back pain without upsetting your stomach and 400 mg of methocarbamol to relax tense back muscles. www.backrelief.com for important information. Packet contains 18 Caplets DIN 02231176

Get edumacated

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
Rest and spinal decompression. Or, at least doing everything to relieve compression, like not lifting things and sitting for long periods, etc.
The last thing you want to do for herniated disks is go get twisted up by a physical therapist or chiropractor.
I also don't like taking anything for pain. I want to know when it hurts, so I don't make a motion that does more damage.
If you rest it and take as much compression/pressure off your spine as possible, it will heal.
The problem is when you have to work and can't give yourself time to heal.
Muscle relaxers, pain pills, etc, are band aids for the discomfort. Not letting it heal, is making it worse and if one of the discs rupture, you're fukked.

·
Trans-Immigrant
15,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny you say that about pain killers,

last time it was really bad my family dr. suggested that i take vicodin at night to help with sleep.. so i did

that was the worst thing possible.
i slept, didnt feel any pain.
but the next day it was triple the pain.. i must have slept in a position that pinched the nerve even more.

when i do take vicodin i still feel the pain, its not covered up, it just makes it tolerable....

pretty much it hurts no matter how i sit, stand or lay.....

guess its going to be another one of those months.... :(

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Spinal decompression and flexibility work are key. As we get older fluid and cartilage wear out for everybody to one degree or another. For some who have put more strain on their backs it is worse but it happens to is all. All you can really do is loosen up the spine and pull those vertebrae back apart on a regular basis with rehab so they don't grind away at each other too badly.

I think alot of times it gets worse for people if they only address it with pills and don't try to rehab in the early stages.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
I haven't looked into what my insurance will cover yet. I know they will do chiropractors and such, just not sure about spinal decompression.
I know a few people that have that teeter hang up chair thingy and say it works great, but I can't be upside down. My head would explode.
I do my own home brew stretches that are hard to explain. But I would recommend the chair or looking up a clinic that does actual spinal decompression. Depending on the severity of the herniation, I would see an expert before trying a home remedy.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
I hear a lot of good things about the inversion table. I have mainly been able to control the minor lower back pain I get with simple stretches and hanging from pull-up rings for a couple minutes at a time. I make sure to do lower back flexibility work after any weight routine that puts any kind of stress on the spine. But by all means see a pro and use appropriate devices if the problem is severe. I have never gotten to the point where it was debilitating except for once quite a few years ago before I got into my stretching routines.

A lot of people try to self adjust with extreme and forceful twisting exercises. Gotta be careful there. If you don't really know what you're doing it can make things worse down the line. Slow and gentle is key, and nothing that puts extreme twisting forces on the spine. The machines and techniques used in the chiropractor's office to decompress are just more extreme forms of stretching for when the problem is severe enough that normal exercise of the area won't fix it anymore.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I recently bought a half decent quality memory foam mattress and that has helped calm down my back pain a good bit. Been looking into inversion tables as well. My buddy has one and loves it.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
I use the big exerercise ball, yoga ball, whatever they are called. Lay on that thing and just start bending backwards. Let gravity help you stretch out the back. I used to have an inversion table, but that thing killed my head.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts