Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site and new to Tundra. Recently installed a RC 3" - 1.5" lift on my 2014 TRD Crew. After install I noticed a small popping noise when starting off in 4wd. It happens when I start off in reverse also. The kit came with a top spacer and 2 shims for each side. I put the spacer and one shim on each side and now I am wondering if that was too much. Took my truck to the dealer after install (complaining of the popping noise) and they installed a new CV axle but the noise is still there and its only on the drivers side. Should I remove one of the shims? Please help.

·
Registered
587 Posts
If the popping noise started after installing the lift, then one would suspect it’s related to the lift. I’d make sure everything is tight, and you didn’t pull a CV joint out of the axle somehow when you put the lift on.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Jack up the front end, and turn the wheel(s) slowly to reproduce the popping noise. As @Brian20 said, my money is on you having something going on with the axle CV joints...i.e. every pop may represent the CV joint halves breaking over the direction change angle. Others will have to say whether your lift/shims/spacers are within accepted limits.

Or...We could just go with: Your CM TRD is cracking it's knuckles and getting ready to kick some terrain azz. :D

Reactions: NLTundra7

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am probably going to remove the extra shim and see if this does the trick (fingers crossed). Curious as to what others have for a spacer (actual thickness). Anyone that has a RC (Rough Country) lift on a TRD please chime in.

Thanks for the responses guys.

·
Registered
432 Posts
did you add a diff drop?

Ill second the "jack it up and rotate the wheels, but id also check all bolts and linkages assoc. with the front suspension. sometimes just having one loose bolt will make that noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I did do a diff drop. I am wondering if the bolts for the diff drop are not tight enough and that is what is causing the popping. Its weird to me that one side is doing it and the other is not. Do you have a RC lift zidaro?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I had a RC level like you do. Right after i installed it, i kept hearing clanks and pops in the front end. Every time i went from drive to reverse, a pop would happen. Every time i went from reverse to drive, it would clank or pop. It seems to happen when weight is shifted. Keep in mind, i know for a fact this noise is coming from up front. So i have no idea as to what it could be. Kicker here is, i am 2wd. I have heard it on many 4x4's as well. Can't track down that clank and pop. I replaced both lower and upper control arms, switched to icon coilovers, new tie rod ends, nothing fixed this noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. So obviously in your case it had noting to do with CV joints or a diff drop. I just really don't want to screw up anything on this truck. I can't afford screw ups!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I can't afford screw ups!
You already did, you bought a cheap spacer lift.
Rip it out, dump it on CL and buy yourself Bilstein 5100's all around and make sure all the bolts are torqued properly after.

That'll put you in a better place and likely fix your issue.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Reactions: NLTundra7

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
If you went the full 3" with a spacer lift up front, I can almost guarantee one of two things is happening. I've seen this before with spacer lifts, not only are they dangerous to run, but they also never fit the truck well.

Most likely what's going on, is your driver's side upper control arm is contacting the coil spring. Because of the new geometry with the spacer now pushing the strut assembly down, and essentially pulling the upper control arm in towards the truck, the inside "U" shape on the upper control arm will rub the spring. I think the rotational position of the coil is different on the passenger side, allowing the control arm to fit in a spot in between the winds of the coil, where it contacts on the drivers side.

The other thing that happens, but sounds less likely in this situation, is that when you put the swaybar back on sometimes the cradle that it sits in gets bent if you're not the gentle type when working on vehicles. This causes the bushing inside the sway bar link to "snap" against the metal cradle and make noise when the suspension articulates one way and then the other. I had this problem after installing my 5100's, and a little silicone and some massaging of the cradle fixed it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.