Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a 2012 crewmax RWD 4.6L
And I bought a system and got it put on was a super10 full 3in system to 4in black tips
I went and got the rear cats taken off changed the tips to a stainless steel rolled 5in by 15in and I still want it a little louder it’s loud as is but I just want a good little rumble when I’m at idle and taking off I was thinking about getting my front cats dropped and putting high flow cats in replace of those/ or going true duals. Anyone know any other way?

·
Registered
14,152 Posts
Headers is what I would suggest. Not removing cats.

·
Registered
14,152 Posts
Jba makes some for the 4.6. And yes, in general, headers will definitely add more sound.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you disconnect your system from the cats, you will get an idea of how loud is possible. When my muffler went bad on my stock 15 CM 5.7L, the truck was really not that loud. At throttle, it was loud, but when it idled down at a stop, it was amazingly quiet. You will have to take the mufflers off to really know if you like that or not. I am guessing it will be too quiet for you even with only the cats on there.

I am honestly not sure that headers would make it louder. I kind of doubt it, but I don't know for sure. I have run lots of headers in my life and never noticed that it made the engine any louder or quieter. It was always the muffler that determined the noise level.

·
Registered
14,152 Posts
Mike, if you look around, headers actually DO typically make almost every vehicle louder. Manifolds is typically where a bottleneck occurs in exhaust flow, prior to the exhaust, and cats. And they really do make a difference. You can find vids of Tundra's with headers running the same exhaust as others, and it is pretty night and day difference when on the skinny pedal.
Not cats. Cats do quiet vehicles some, but headers make more an an audible difference.

Reactions: BigBrock

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you disconnect your system from the cats, you will get an idea of how loud is possible. When my muffler went bad on my stock 15 CM 5.7L, the truck was really not that loud. At throttle, it was loud, but when it idled down at a stop, it was amazingly quiet. You will have to take the mufflers off to really know if you like that or not. I am guessing it will be too quiet for you even with only the cats on there.

I am honestly not sure that headers would make it louder. I kind of doubt it, but I don't know for sure. I have run lots of headers in my life and never noticed that it made the engine any louder or quieter. It was always the muffler that determined the noise level.
See I only have my front cats on I took the 2 back ones off and ran a 3in pipe to the rest and that only runs into a super 10 then dual out of that

·
Registered
309 Posts
Call me skeptical, but I don't think headers will make it that much louder, but I don't know. The reason I say that is that the stock exhaust manifolds on the 4.6 and 4.7L are pretty close to a headers design as is. The 5.7L uses a similar design but it is not a free flowing as the 4.6 and 4.7L manifolds.

In the 5.7L manifold, some of the noise waves would be bounced back up the pipes and trapped in the manifold, but in the 4.6 and 4.7, they are pretty much straight pipes like a header and there is nothing to stop the sound wave propagation, so I think they are going to sound about the same.

Again, I could be wrong. My only real point was to take off the exhaust after the cats to see how load it is without the mufflers and tail pipes. Without the exhaust system after the cats, you can get an idea of how load the existing system is to determine if it can be an louder or not.

Of course, running it out the back makes it quieter in the cab, but makes it loud for everyone else. If you put a couple turn downs right under the cab, you'll get more noise in the cab, which sounds like what you want anyways. If you turn the turn downs up, you will get even more noise! Ha.

And of course there is the BMW way, which is to pipe fake exhaust noise into the cab through the radio. I'll make no further comment on the manliness of that solution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts