Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
2005 Tundra Sr5 4.7L V8 300,000 miles.
A few weeks back I was on ice/snow and engaged 4wd. When I did, the passenger side CV bearing/joint came apart (literally in pieces). I replaced the shaft and joints with a complete unit from Rockauto, but after doing so, I get a very loud banging sound when in 4wd. It seems to coincide with the rotation of the shaft, but only happens when engaged. With the truck lifted, everything seems to rotate smoothly, with no binding. I thought that maybe the driver's side shaft may have been damaged too so I replaced it today, but I'm still having the issue. Any ideas where to look next? Transfer case or front differential? Again, it only seems to happen when in 4hi or 4Low. In 2wd it drives perfectly fine. I appreciate any help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also want to add that i do use the truck in 4wd occasionally, and it was working fine prior too all this....(not sure if that's helpful, but thought I'd add this info).
Thanks Again!

·
I Kick Hippies
1,264 Posts
Sorry that I can't answer your question but I just wanted to suggest editing your name/address from the photo displaying a shipping label.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Check the U joints on your front drive shaft. A few years ago I had a rock get stuck on top of the cross member under the transmission. It would hit the U joint when the front drive shaft rotated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can you put the truck up on a lift and run it in 2 and 4WD to see if you can localize the sound?
The front drive shaft turns all the time even in 2WD.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did. It seems to be coming from the propeller shaft where it enters the front differential. Thinking either bearing or gears? is it possible to rebuild in place, or do I need to remove the whole thing?
Thank you for responding!

·
Registered
18 Posts
300K miles it could be many things? Maybe when the CV broke it tweaked the electrical axle disconnect or chipped a tooth in the diff? It might be a pinion bearing/
Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, I'm thinking I may need to take it to a shop... hate doing that. at 300K she's up there, but she runs great so I hate to let her go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts