Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to trade in and need some advice pls. I have a 2010 dodge laramie with 37k miles and am looking at an 07 tundra limited with 170k miles. Obviously i would get it checked out by my mechanic but what are your thoughts on this? it would save me a ton of money but i am more interested in the lifespan of it. any thoughts? below is the link for the truck.

2007 Toyota Tundra Used Car Details | Randall Reed Ford OKC | (888) 597-6432 | Oklahoma City Ford Dealer serving Edmond & Norman, OK

thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
That's a lot of miles for most any vehicle. It doesn't look like it has excessive wear so someone probably took care of it. What's the price, and you just looking to get out of payments with the Dodge?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I mean I'd say buy a Toyota over a Dodge any day but why would you trade a truck with that low a miles for one with 170k?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are asking 14900. I've got a 470/month payment and I've got baby #2 on the way so just trying to save money where I can. My dodge is a Laramie so it's fully loaded and I love it. This Tundra has everything that my Dodge has so that plus the price is why I'm interested in it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Now, by saving money on gas with this car, you can afford to take a vacation

Saving money compared to what? lol

don't get me wrong the tundra looks great, but 170k miles would scare me off

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Depending on your equity situation with the dodge (did you buy new or used?), they may not even want to do the deal for you. Also, a without counting any trade money, positive or negative, your looking at roughly $367 for a standard 48 month (remember now, its over six years old) car loan. Is saving $100 a month worth adding 110 thousand miles (and possibly years until you pay off a vehicle)? Even for a Tundra, I wouldn't do it if I were in your situation

Of course, don't listen to me, I went from a Tundra, to a Subaru to save money, and back to a Tundra within 18 months... So I am a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to doing what makes sense with car loans... Thing is I don't have any children, or mortgage responsibilities, so my justification to switch in the first place wouldn't have been enough for most people.

Even with all things considered, you could find a similar truck with 100,000 fewer miles for only a few grand more (and one that would be eligible for longer loan terms, which means a lower payment). Or one like the red one that has 70,000 fewer miles. I bet with negotiations, you could be a lot closer to the $15,000 mark on some of these trucks.

Search Results
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...d=20145&yrId=20200&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT

2010 White SR5 with the 5.7 and 98,000 miles: $18,995
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...pp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=national&listType=1

2007 Limited with 109,000 miles: $18,995
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...pp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=national&listType=1

2010 with cloth and sweet camo accents with 78,000 miles: $18,950

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Riccnick- Thanks that's what I was looking for. I was pretty against it but needed some pushing in that direction. It's gonna be hard to get rid this truck since it has everything I wanted.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Great advice Riccnick.

My ONE thought for you...shy away from the Tundras with the Flex-Fuel engine. There's a long thread about these over in the problem thread. Some people have issues with them some people don't.

Reactions: riccnick

·
Registered
245 Posts
I wouldn't do it. You also have to consider maintenance. I'm not impressed with dodge for reliability, but at 37,000 miles it should last awhile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts