Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few year stint of being a MOPAR head, I am currently working out the details on a crewmax 1794 TRD Off-Road. TRD Pro grille will be the first order of business, too much chrome for me. Then an Icon Stage II (or OME again, still on the fence here), CB shackles, 35" Duratacs, SDHQ sliders.... Anyways, TTIWWOP....

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Just made the same move . . . was in a '14 Platinum and was abducted by aliens and went into a '16 RAM Sport . . . bad move . . . back into an '18 Platinum and never leaving. Love this truck. Enjoy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Interesting, the RAM Sport was my fallback if I couldn?t find TRD Pro. Would be great to hear your experience, comparison and what you liked/didn?t

Just made the same move . . . was in a '14 Platinum and was abducted by aliens and went into a '16 RAM Sport . . . bad move . . . back into an '18 Platinum and never leaving. Love this truck. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Welcome back gentllmen

Curious to hear about the Ram experiments too, as I was eyeballing a Ram or three a few weeks ago

Reactions: theoat

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I initially left back in 2013 and bought a Cummins. Great truck, but needs changed and the family grew to five. I thought it was impractical to have a truck sit in my driveway for months at a time without moving. VW bought back my work car due to diesel gate so it became my wife's primary mode of transportation (she works from home so it basically continued to sit) and she hated trying to get in and out being seven months pregnant so I sold it and picked up a Durango R/T. I have been happy with it, but have found that as my hobby farm starts taking shape and my daughter starts 4H I really need a truck bed rather than hauling everything on my car trailer. Third row of the Durango worked in theory but in practice it takes all of your cargo space and its a pain to put kids back there if you have any in the second row so I end up just using the second row anyway. It is nice when the inlaws are in town and we all want to take a single vehicle, but for those two times a year I would rather be inconvenienced or rent a Suburban than not have a truck bed the remainder of the year.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Glad your back! I remember your old tundra it was a nice ride!

Reactions: theoat

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I've still got my 2010 CM I bought new. Thought about changing or getting a new one. I've gotten bored multiple times,
but the only issue I've had to date was one of the clear rock guard stickers started to peel so they replaced it under warranty.

All my costs have been self inflicted through mods.
Yesterday I had my most major and expensive repair......brake pads and had the rotors turned while they were in there. :eek::D

Reactions: TOY33

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've actually been thinking of going the other way lately. I'm not super thrilled with the reliability of my Tundra thus far - I bought it because of our experience with our 2005 4Runner. That 4Runner was a beast - we had it for 105,000 miles and it never gave us any problems EVER. We got rid of it due to a growing family. So, I thought that the Tundra would be a good move. I sort of wish that I would have done more research before purchasing it - they have several known issues that have been around for a long time and don't seem to get resolved. My Tundra hasn't been that bad - but it just wasn't what I was expecting from Toyota and the supposed "legendary" reliability.

Anyway, good luck with your Tundra. I hope that it doesn't have the issues that many of them do.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Wondering what issues you are referring to.
Here is what I have dealt with:

1. Cam tower leak (problem with all of these trucks for quite a while now - design flaw in the way it is assembled, IMO).
2. Brake vibrations (there is a TSB for this)
3. Strange noise during cold-temp start ups. I can't seem to figure out what it is - I have heard of several others that have the same issue.
4. The front diffs on these trucks have issues.
5. Paint issues

Other issues that I have heard about (some have been resolved, from what I understand):

6. Bed bounce issue.
7. Air induction pump.
8. Frame rust issues

In Toyota's defense:

They did give me a free 100,000 mile warranty after I had my Cam Tower Leak. Customer service like that goes far in my book. However, dealing with the dealership trying to diagnose my current front-end issue has been frustrating. But, the reason I stuck with the Tundra is because of them giving me the warranty. I think I would have jumped ship a while ago otherwise.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Here is what I have dealt with:

1. Cam tower leak (problem with all of these trucks for quite a while now - design flaw in the way it is assembled, IMO).
2. Brake vibrations (there is a TSB for this)
Is this new? There was some vented shields I believe at one point. I just had my pads and rotors turned on my 2010 which never had an issue.
3. Strange noise during cold-temp start ups. I can't seem to figure out what it is - I have heard of several others that have the same issue.
AIP's operating?
4. The front diffs on these trucks have issues.
Is this still an issue? Was on some earlier 2nd gens I believe.
5. Paint issues
All new vehicles have thin water based paint due to EPA

Other issues that I have heard about (some have been resolved, from what I understand):

6. Bed bounce issue.
Every truck seems to have this to some degree
7. Air induction pump.
Don't think this is an issue although might not have occured in any of the newer ones yet
8. Frame rust issues
What frame rust issue? All vehicles will rust especially in the salted areas

Reactions: riccnick

·
Registered
304 Posts
2. Brake issues - not new. I am not sure why this happens. I follow proper bed-in procedures - just like I do with all of my vehicles. The vehicle just shakes/shimmys under harder decelerations. Has done it ever since I have had it. (Google search found a service bulletin 434583 for this issue).
3. Not the AIP. I have heard some say it is the power steering pump, and others say that it is the pulley/belt tensioner.
4. Apparently it is still an issue. Mine is having an issue, and I have heard of others that are experiencing problems. Mine started prior to me putting the lift on it.
5. I am more complaining about the single stage "super white" crap that they use. It is harder to keep looking good than my other vehicles.
6. Not as bad as the Tundra did (again, I think that they resolved this).
7. It was a big issue from what I understand prior to 2010. I think that they resolved it.
8. 2007-2008 Tundras were included in the big lawsuit settlement that Toyota had for frames rusting excessively. I think that Tacoma was the biggest culprit in that. Again, they resolved this, I believe.

Like I said before - this truck hasn't been "too bad". But - I didn't buy a Toyota to get something that wasn't "too bad". I bought a Toyota because they are supposed to be top notch from a reliability standpoint. So far, I haven't been overly impressed as far as reliability is concerned.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I bought my 2015 brand new and have 44k miles on it now. I haven't had a single issue with the truck. I love mine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.