Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just picked up a 2016 TRD Pro two weeks ago. I love the truck. However, coming from a 2002 Avalanche, and doing my best to replace said truck, I really miss the enclosed cargo box/bed.

With the Avalanche, as you are no doubt aware one could remove the three cargo panels and leave them in one's garage inside five minutes. If you had the silly bag with you, you could stow them onboard in the bed inside ten minutes. The covers meant that unless the tailgate was unlocked, access was denied to the bed without inflicting serious damage on the truck or covers.

I want similar functionality for my Tundra.

Additionally, I want access to the deck rail system without moving the rails around. I wouldn't mind if the cover used the rails to attach to the bed. I don't expect to use the rails when the cover is in place, but want then right where they are when the cover is open or off the truck.

I like the Bak Revolver X It seems easy to use, and secure as well. What I don't like is that there is no quick release to pull the whole cover off and leave it behind in the garage. Also it requires that one relocates the side deck railing.

I like the tri-fold hard panel style, but many of them seem to fold up vertically when stowed, blocking visibility out the back window.

I don't mind not being able to use the deck rails if the cover is closed, but I wish to be able to pop the cover off, leave it in the garage, load up a couple/few bikes (which use the front deck rail for mounting) and go out for a ride.

Does such a cover exist?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Check out the Extang Solid Fold 2.0. I'm somewhat torn between that and the Bakflip G2/F1 with the rail drop kit. The Extang is very quick to remove while the Bakflip looks a bit slower, but the Bakflip sits flush with the existing bed rail caps which looks somewhat nicer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Extang Solid Fold - it tends to freeze a lot in the winter keep that in mind not sure where you live.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Here are some suggestions for you.

Undercover Flex - Does not relocate the track rails, but does utilize them.
Truck Gear (by LINE-X) Hard Folding Cover - Sort of a cross between an Undercover Flex and a Bakflip. Does not relocate the track rails, but does utilize them. Has a lifetime warranty against factory defects.
Bakflips (several models) - They require relocating the track rails.
Extang Encore - The only "con" to some people is that the water channels in the rails are sort of large. If you decide on the Encore, be sure you get the new model made out of FRP, not the old model made of aluminum.
Extang Solid Fold 2.0 - Already mentioned.
FoldACover - Con is that it uses sort of old technology such as the "piano" style hinges.

·
Registered
9 Posts
TonnoPro hard fold. I mounted this 2 months ago and it has been great. NO leaks, folds open flat if you need partial bed access. Removes in 2 minutes with no tools if you want it off for a particular load. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
BAKFlip gives you two choices. One is to relocate the factory tracks. The other is not to relocate them but to use them for the installation. I opted for the second.

Any folding type cover that channels the water into a drain gutter will freeze. That's the only complaint I have against BAKFlip F1. They are built like a tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tonno Pro pics attached. I knew I wanted a hard folder so I could lock stuff inside and not worry about someone getting to it. I liked this one because the top is finished in vinyl so it looks nice and doesn't leak & it was several hundred bucks less than some of the other hard folds. No problems thus far. I actually loosened up the mounting wingnuts this weekend to reposition it a bit, and its so easy to remove. You could have this off and in the garage in about one minute if you need to use the whole bed for large items.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great find in this thread.. good thing I searched.

2016 Tundra DC XP.. need to find a good cover. Will review all these brands. Doesn't appear to have favorites.. I guess its whatever works for your situation and location. I live in Charlotte NC.. we get freezing rains no more than a few times a year (i don't think..lol)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here are some suggestions for you.

Undercover Flex - Does not relocate the track rails, but does utilize them.
Truck Gear (by LINE-X) Hard Folding Cover - Sort of a cross between an Undercover Flex and a Bakflip. Does not relocate the track rails, but does utilize them. Has a lifetime warranty against factory defects.
Extang Encore - The only "con" to some people is that the water channels in the rails are sort of large. If you decide on the Encore, be sure you get the new model made out of FRP, not the old model made of aluminum.
Extang Solid Fold 2.0 - Already mentioned.
FoldACover - Con is that it uses sort of old technology such as the "piano" style hinges.
Forgive my ignorance but what exactly does relocating the tracks mean?

I'm looking into buying this. Toyota dealer where I got my truck charges over $900, installed. Thought I do it myself.. .will be Youtubing. lol

·
Registered
437 Posts
Forgive my ignorance but what exactly does relocating the tracks mean?

I'm looking into buying this. Toyota dealer where I got my truck charges over $900, installed. Thought I do it myself.. .will be Youtubing. lol
Here's a youtube vid, go to the 38 second spot. You can see that the track rails have been lowered so that they are not in the way of the cover's rails which are installed to the bed rails.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Honestly I'll recommend Diamondback. Best cover out there for turning the bed into a trunk. Can be made watertight, or virtually watertight.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Sorry having issues with the connection I guess

[URL="http://gatorcovers.com/p-6147-gator-evo-tonneau-cover.aspx[/URL]

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sorry having issues with the connection I guess

[URL="http://gatorcovers.com/p-6147-gator-evo-tonneau-cover.aspx[/URL]
I don't think Gator makes any of their covers, they are just rebranded. For example, the retractable covers are all Retrax covers. You may be able to find a better deal. For example, the LINE-X Truck Gear retractable cover is a RetraxPro MX. You get a lifetime warranty against factory defects which you can't get with Retrax or Gator, they offer a prorated lifetime warranty. The Truck Gear cover may cost less also.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'm looking at getting one of the Truxedo titanium or BAK revolve x2. Found a guy from another forum that will sell them for under $600. They're normally 800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm looking at getting one of the Truxedo titanium or BAK revolve x2. Found a guy from another forum that will sell them for under $600. They're normally 800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just my opinion: The Revolver X2 is a better cover, but it's priced higher than the Titanium.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts