Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Had my old truck stolen over the weekend and spent today looking for a used truck to replace it. Found what looked like a really nice truck at the local Toyota dealer. It's a 2011 Tundra CrewMax with the Platinum package with ~55k miles and they are asking ~$38k. My first thought was that might be a bit high.

After driving it (which felt really good by the way), I started a close inspection all around the truck. That's when I noticed the safety chain attachment point on the receiver was bent outward. It looks like someone might have been towing something that came off the ball and was caught by the safety chain, bending it out about 1/2 - 3/4 inch. This was only on the left safety chain attachment point. The right side was normal.

Then I noticed an outward ping on the outer sidewall behind the right rear tire. Looking closer, there was clearly a dent there that had been straightened out, but it looks like they hit it too hard from the inside which caused the pin point ping and spider cracked the paint. Then about 8" up from that is a strip of touch up paint about an inch wide.

The dealer pulled out the carfax report, which didn't show any accidents, but it had clearly been repaired. Also, on that same side, the underside of the bumper was slightly buckled and looked like someone had tried to straighten it out but couldn't get it all the way out.

I ran an autocheck report on it, but it didn't show an accident. It did however report the vehicle as being announced at auction as a fleet/lease vehicle (this was the third auction it had been through and the previous auctions listed it as a dealer vehicle with essentially the same miles - hadn't been driven more than a few miles between the three auctions).

Other than the cosmetics, I couldn't see anything else wrong.

My biggest concern is the safety chain attachment point on the receiver.

Is this a truck I should try to talk them down on (if so how much is reasonable?) or should I run away and not look back?

Thanks,
Jeremy

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
People hook stuff to the trailer safety chain spots all the time and think they'll hold like tow hooks (which they do not). I wouldn't worry too much about that part of it. The price vs miles thing seems pretty high though. I would imagine that a new one wouldn't be too far off including discounts. If I'm not mistaken, a new truck like that could be discounted well into the low $40k's. I would never buy a truck that has "clearly been repaired" for any kind of real money, Tundra or not. You just never know. Where are you from? I usually use cars.com to get a good look at what dealers have in inventory around where I am. Most dealers will post all of their new and used inventory on cars.com, so it makes it easy to shop dealers that are close or far and compare prices.

Reactions: js4024

·
Registered
607 Posts
the bends and scrapes may not be from an accident. I use mine for work and it gets scratches, my 09 had matching concave areas behind the rear wheels - one where my atv tire hit it when my truck and trailer slid down the drive in the snow, the other from a loader bumping it. My bumper was bent under a little from the atv incident - I bent it back out by hand - that easy to move.

You can do better on that price - much better. Heck, you can get a new one for not much more. For that price, they should fix all your concerns, buy you dinner, and hand you a smoke when they are done. Maybe even a little pillow talk. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice.

I'm in central Texas, and I despise vehicle shopping. Looking at the local dealer's new inventory, all the CrewMax 4WD Limited Tundras are listed between $48k - $51k.

My budget maxes out around $39k because I have no trade in (my stolen truck was paid off and I stupidly cancelled my comprehensive insurance last year, so the theft was not covered and the truck is most likely already across the border).

I really liked the overall package of the CrewMax Tundra I looked at today (4WD and Platinum edition that has the leather, nav, bluetooth, voice control, sunroof, etc...). But the visible repairs made me take a big step back.

I just don't see how I can get a new 4WD CrewMax anywhere close to my budget.

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
What out of pocket will you be fronting?...
Is the insurance cutting a check for full amount? and was stolen truck paid
off? There are several ways to do this, I would not pay that much for a 55k truck...
I got mine granted its not a Plat. but it is a nice crew close to that price new.
I would figure out financial first and buy new using ins. payment as a hefty down and reducing monthly below 300/ month...jmo good luck

·
Registered
535 Posts
Not a chance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TAMUTUNDRA,

No money from insurance. Truck was paid off several years ago and I dropped comprehensive coverage about a year ago. Total loss.

I would say my budget is $39k + TTL, of which I could put $5k down.

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
TAMUTUNDRA,

No money from insurance. Truck was paid off several years ago and I dropped comprehensive coverage about a year ago. Total loss.

I would say my budget is $39k + TTL, of which I could put $5k down.
5k down isn't bad and they should be running deals soon since the 14's are on the horizon...so auto ins won't pay anything? Man that sucks sorry bout that, I would explore home policy? ya never know if they would throw ya a bone or two worth a try...I would think Toyota will be trying to get rid of 13's to make room for the new ones, but it might be to soon if you could hang till they hit the lots but that's pretty unrealistic..just remember they need to unload the truck more than you need to buy from them and explore out of town lots...ie: dallas/san Antonio/tyler there out there and don't be discouraged on a used one, just not that one...good hunting!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so if my local dealer has a new Platinum for $50k on their website, and they are offering 0% financing, what can I realistically negotiate them down to?

It's been many years since I've had to go through the process.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Ok, so if my local dealer has a new Platinum for $50k on their website, and they are offering 0% financing, what can I realistically negotiate them down to?

It's been many years since I've had to go through the process.
Not sure on current incentives, but I'd like 43,500-45,500 depending upon incentives. Go to truecar.com

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
Heck I am not sure what realistic insult you can get away with...lol does it have to be a plat? fully loaded sr5's or even a limited? are plat's that much more than a limited? or vise versa? heck I didn't even look into them..I got on line, built one, contacted a few dealers and asked if they could find me this exact truck...this way you know how much before you walk on the lot, I had a dealer in El Paso find it for me, flew there with $10k in tow signed papers drove back to Frisco that day.. My 2 cents " use the internet a lot!"
make the dealer work for you also...let us know how it goes...and also you will not be disappointed in the tundra new or used...that's the only for sure I know!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again. I'll definitely come back and let you know what I end up with.

I just need to figure this out soon. $50/day for a rental truck is going to get old fast.

Going back to the first truck I was talking about, what do you all think would be a reasonable price for it, if it really only is cosmetic issues? If I walked in and offered $28k, would they kick me out? Would that be a reasonable price?

·
"Seahawks Hater"
4,147 Posts
Little off topic here but, how was it stolen? Broke window and "hot wired" it? I thought that isn't possible but I'm sure thiefs know loopholes. You have alarm activated? And what are you going to do so your new truck isn't stolen?

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
On a new tundra I guarantee that you can get $6-8k off of the listing price, plenty of people on here have done including me. If the dealers around your area won't do it the go a little further & find a dealer that will. Hell order one online and have it delivered, I bet you will still be within your budget

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
Thanks again. I'll definitely come back and let you know what I end up with.

I just need to figure this out soon. $50/day for a rental truck is going to get old fast.

Going back to the first truck I was talking about, what do you all think would be a reasonable price for it, if it really only is cosmetic issues? If I walked in and offered $28k, would they kick me out? Would that be a reasonable price?
I think they would kick ya out ten off is a lot and they will be willing to waite for the person that doesn't have a clue but just has to have that truck! (sounds like this might be you....lol not the clue part just the part about needing it!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Little off topic here but, how was it stolen? Broke window and "hot wired" it? I thought that isn't possible but I'm sure thiefs know loopholes. You have alarm activated? And what are you going to do so your new truck isn't stolen?
Family vacation in San Antonio. Stolen from the hotel parking lot (no video surveillance). Was an '04 Dodge basic package with no alarm or theft deterrent system. No glass on the ground. Only 3 hours away from Mexico makes the area ripe for stolen trucks that are close to 10 years old or older. They target these trucks because they are less likely to have tracking systems.

Will most likely have some sort of theft deterrent/tracking system installed (or purchased with it already installed).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts