Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Looking at Truck Caps!

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Dave T 
#1 ·
I am looking for a good truck cap. I have been looking at LEER and ARE but, they are really expensive. Does anyone know about any other good companies? It really isn't the fact that they are so expensive that bothers me. I am not sure that the prices I have been getting are market prices as I know nothing about truck caps. I have been getting prices frome 2196-2595 anyone know if these prices are at least close to market price.

#2 ·
855-460-6800-- LEER Toppers

ext. 424 -Chris

I priced a Leer 100 XL- $1905- colormatched, free shipping- front window is standard and solid, but a slider is only $75 more, roof liner $125

If you call the number above you get up to $100 off.

I'm in the process myself- the A.R.E. Z is similar, a little more expensive but they are offering the front slider and roof liner for free for August

Post up if ya find anything cheaper- these things are really nice, I can see why they ask so much for them- they just nickel and dime you to death for upgrades as well. You either buy a Cadillac version topper or a scaled down version and add your own stuff

Joe

#3 ·
I feel you on the nickel and diming you to death. I have 2 dogs that will be riding back there and I want to make sure they get enough air in the summer time to stay cool and are warm enough in winter time. The only add ons I am looking at are roof liner, front removable slider, and pet gaurds on the side sliders.

#4 ·
I can't talk on prices, as my Leer 180 came with my used truck, but it is a nice cap. its got the slider removeable front window, felt liner and dog mesh on the side slider screens. that last one is really nice as I carry 6 bikes around alot and those screens have been saved from handle bars poking out. plus the +4" height is really good, and it still fits in the garage.

THe only beef I have with the leer is that the rear window/door is 2 handled latch, I wish it was a one handle system, and that the plastic piece that overlaps the tailgate is flimsy and has cracked. Kids grab onto it to flip the window down, and it can't handle that stress. Probably cheap to replace, but I'm even cheaper, so it will stay like that. Its just a poor design. Hopefully they have fixed it in the newer ones.

Other than that, its a great cap, the color match is pretty close, but not perfect. The felt liner is the best, keeps it nice and quiet back there. It also has the thule rack system on the top, but I can't see myself ever using it.

#8 ·
Grain of salt- I'm a graphic designer, so I've got a really touchy eye when it comes to colors. Its probably not that noticeable, I've just trained myself to notice such things. Its actually a pain in the arse anytime I'm outside the office. I wouldn't let it keep you from getting one.

I really wish my cap came with the single center handle.

#6 ·
I have a leer. I got this one with the carpeting on roof for some insulation for the dogs. I would also recommend get removable front window so can wash back window of the truck.
Should be a pic in my profile. There is a thread with a lot of pictures tundra-with-cap club

#7 ·
I got the leer 550 tonneau cover and for matching the paint it was on point. Very impressed with how the paint was matched

#9 ·
ARE caps are built in Ohio. You will probably get a better deal because the shipping will be less. Maybe you could work a deal to pick it up at the factory?

#10 ·
Check Century Caps as well. I just bought the Century Royal today for $1995- It's the same as the 100 XL Leer and ARE Z. I got the tilt out side windows, front slider with tilt, single slam latch in the rear door- colormatched 1f9 to my slate gray. It will be delivered in 2 weeks and installed for free- Oh, it also came with an LED 12 volt interior light, gray carpeted headliner, and LED 3rd Brakelight for the price as well. I had to pay the $134 in tax as well for Florida. I'll post up a few pics once installed

#12 · (Edited)
I have an ARE V series on my 8' bed. Good quality and around $1300

#13 ·

#14 ·
I have an ARE Z series with fold down sliding rear window(the one close to the cab), a roof liner, tilt out side windows and I had them wire the interior light to my cargo light switch in the cab. Ran me a bout $2,000. But I also played them against leer and they knocked a $100 buck or so off. They have a little wiggle room, you just gotta push em on it a little

#15 ·
I've had two SNUGTop camper shells on pick-ups in the past, one on a Ford and one on a Tacoma. Both were excellent. The used SR5 SC,SB 5.7L I just bought came with their tonneau cover and I am delighted. A near $1000 accessory I didn't have to buy. The SNUGTop would have been my choice if I had bought one, based on past experience.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.