Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been thinking about upgrading my crappy stock stereo and saw that Crutchfield has a nice deal on this radio. Im wondering if anyone on this board has this radio and whats there experience with it.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I have it and love it. even better my wife and kids love it too.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Gets strong reviews on Crutchfield's website.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It's a great deck but, if you are an Android user, you will want to look at the newer Pioneer models which are the AVH-X series. You can get the AVH-X5500bhs for around the same price if you look around for it. With the 5500 you can stream Pandora from your Android phone. Also, I'm not sure if the 4400 is iphone 5 compatible for ap mode but I know the 5500 is.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I had it in my tacoma, liked it a lot. Now, I have the kenwood 9990hd 'cause of the garmin nav. I do miss certain things about the pioneer, but I will say- LOVE the larger screen.

The 4400 is a great stereo with good options, lets you run in app mode if you're a smart phone user (my experience was with an iphone)- and run multiple apps (i'd run a GPS app with pandora or my itunes playing in the background). Go to a local store and play with them though. The newer pioneer app radio is sweet if you're a big smartphone user.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a great deck but, if you are an Android user, you will want to look at the newer Pioneer models which are the AVH-X series. You can get the AVH-X5500bhs for around the same price if you look around for it. With the 5500 you can stream Pandora from your Android phone. Also, I'm not sure if the 4400 is iphone 5 compatible for ap mode but I know the 5500 is.
I have a Iphone so the Android problem wont be a issue.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm looking at the same deck and appreciate the feedback so far. I have another question about this deck (or maybe any deck for that matter) and the steering wheel controls. From what I understand, you can get the adapter to control stereo functions, but is there such a thing as being able to keep the bluetooth controls on the wheel to control phone calls with this deck. I'm really torn.... keep the deck and all stock convenience, but sacrifice the sound quality by using LOCs or go with a new deck for better sound quality, but lose oem steering wheel control convenience??? :confused: :confused:

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm looking at the same deck and appreciate the feedback so far. I have another question about this deck (or maybe any deck for that matter) and the steering wheel controls. From what I understand, you can get the adapter to control stereo functions, but is there such a thing as being able to keep the bluetooth controls on the wheel to control phone calls with this deck. I'm really torn.... keep the deck and all stock convenience, but sacrifice the sound quality by using LOCs or go with a new deck for better sound quality, but lose oem steering wheel control convenience??? :confused: :confused:
Hopefully someone can give you a real answer as my Tacoma didnt have the phone controls on the steering wheel- however, I had my phone mounted in arms reach and can tell you that I'd Hold down my voice control, and it'd automatically would connect and call. (iPhone)

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
ANNNDDDD, that is where I am at...

I have tossed and torn quite a while before deciding...

I am going to try first my amp with high level inputs, then go to a processor, then worst case scenario swap it later...

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've had this stereo since November of 2012 and love it. I've had the android phone the whole time so all I could use with my phone was the bluetooth but next week I'm finally eligible to upgrade so i'll be getting an iPhone 5. One thing I would say is to put the bluetooth microphone on the top right of the windshield, just above the sun visor. I originally had it wired to where they put the stock bluetooth mics, right by the dome lights and nobody could ever hear me.

Crutchfield has it at a good price too. I bought mine on sale at Fry's for 299.99 and ended up paying about $60 for the metra dash kit and another $5 for the wire harness from a local audio shop. I know I was overcharged for the dash kit but it was either that or wait another week to get one shipped to my house and I didn't want to wait.

I also went on eBay and got a parking brake bypass relay for $10:
Pioneer Parking Brake Auto Override Bypass AVH P4400BH AVHP4400BH New Models | eBay
I've never really actually used it but for $10 I went ahead and got it so I could install everything at once.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think ill put the microphone by the roof console. Ill build my own parking brake bypass since i have a ton of relays in my tool box.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have my mic on top of my rear view mirror- have never had an issue with clarity.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts