Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post as I just discovered these forums when seeking information on a possible truck purchase.
First - I hope I posted this in the correct place!

A little info: I have been leasing a 2018 SR5 Tundra for the past 3 years, and absolutely loved it. It is mainly used to tow our 6K lb camper all over the USA. Unfortunately, I am not able to afford to purchase this off lease, but would love to stay in the Tundra family. I have found a 2008 Tundra (specs in post title) with 85K miles for sale for $20K. I am a little leery of buying a 12 year old vehicle, but the mileage and price seem fairly decent for my current budget. I am also looking at similar spec F150 that is about $2K cheaper.

What do you all think about the possibility of a vehicle of this age and layout as a primary tow vehicle? Should I be concerned about the age, or not really because it is still a Tundra and they seem to last forever and hold their value tremendously?

Thank you for any advice on this!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Buy one with manual 4x4 shifter. Problem is they don't have those any more. Lot of problems with actuator or 4x4 switch on dash. 2015 crewmax 89k

·
Registered
867 Posts
It is one of the best year Tundra's in terms of build quality and reliability. The engine is great. As long as it was maintained decently it should still be very strong. See if it's been checked for underbody/frame rust as part of the recall and if it passed...

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think some of the 07-09 had some kind of issue with the (don't know what it is called) exhaust pump that injects exhaust back into the cylinders. If it did not have that issue, or if it was repaired all is good. That is a low mileage truck, is that a 4x4? Two door cab? Toyota made those back then. As long as all checks out I would not be afraid of a 85,000 mile tundra.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Truck sounds good. I have a 08 SR5 DC with 139k now bought in 2013 with 72k on it. I have been very pleased with it with the only major repair was a water pump in 2015.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Please stay away from the F150 - I think you'll be better off with the Tundra. It's a much better built truck. I have a 2008 Crewmax SR5 5.7L (non 4x4) that I bought new. I have about 125K on it and still going strong/haven't had any issues at all. The engine is strong as an ox which is great since I also ocassionally tow a 9k RV trailer. Been to Montana from Los Angeles twice without any problems. I also go up to the Sierra's a couple times a year with the RV. I'd have the truck checked out good before you consider it and you can always make a lower offer if 20K is a bit too high for you. The 4 wheel drive is icing on the cake and is always great to have. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First, thank you all for the replies, I appreciate the advice! Unfortunately, the truck sold before I could make an offer, but I am now convinced that I do want to stick with a Tundra. I have found there are more of the 4.6 L V8's available in my price range. Would it be better to get a newer 4.6L w/o 4WD or an older 5.7L if I am mainly using this to tow my 6K lb travel trailer?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd take the 5.7 because that's what I have. I'm not sure about the 4.6 would be up for the towing task, but maybe someone on here who has the 4.6 can comment. I just don't think it would be a good choice since you're towing a trailer. Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2008 SR5 4x4. I love it. It has 248,000 miles on it and I've owned it since it was new. I tow an ATV trailer at about 9,000 #'s.

The only issues I've had other than rotating tires and changing oil/filter every 5k miles are

1. Replaced the rack and pinion steering unit at 195,000 miles. Approximately $1,800? My independent Toyota mechanic says that this is common on a Tundra or Sequoia at 125K + miles. Make sure to check for leaking fluid and torn boots on the rack. Mine just had a torn boot and was leaking a little fluid. It was working fine but replaced it knowing I was holding on to this truck for a while.

2. Replaced charcoal vapor canister as it was setting off the check engine light. No performance issues just the light would come on and I'm anal. Mechanic installed a used unit and I've been fine for 2 years. $425.

3. Rear seal on transfer case replaced as it was leaking a little gear oil. $250?

4. Not an issue but I replaced the stereo head unit as I wanted navigation and blue tooth for phone and music.

I consider all of the above to be age and wear and tear issues not quality issues. My plan is to drive this thing into the ground. Can't justify a $900/mo payment on a new one when this one runs great.

I can't imagine having a Ford F-150 with 248,000 miles as it would probably be on it's second motor and at least $15k in repairs. Buy the Tundra 5.7.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all, this is my first post as I just discovered these forums when seeking information on a possible truck purchase.
First - I hope I posted this in the correct place!

A little info: I have been leasing a 2018 SR5 Tundra for the past 3 years, and absolutely loved it. It is mainly used to tow our 6K lb camper all over the USA. Unfortunately, I am not able to afford to purchase this off lease, but would love to stay in the Tundra family. I have found a 2008 Tundra (specs in post title) with 85K miles for sale for $20K. I am a little leery of buying a 12 year old vehicle, but the mileage and price seem fairly decent for my current budget. I am also looking at similar spec F150 that is about $2K cheaper.

What do you all think about the possibility of a vehicle of this age and layout as a primary tow vehicle? Should I be concerned about the age, or not really because it is still a Tundra and they seem to last forever and hold their value tremendously?

Thank you for any advice on this!
I have that exact vehicle and can afford a new one, but why? Doesn’t have fancy modern stuff but runs good and starts everytime. A lot of good things about this truck. Recalls are minimal. Mine is not garage kept, but folks think it’s new, funny since it has 116k on the odometer. Steel timing chain. Lots of solid parts. Biggest question is if they owner has maintained it. Serpentine belt replacement, oil, and alignment are the main things I look at. Payload is low on these, but for your use it’s fine. There are a couple quirks , so pm me so I can call you. $20k is high side but reasonable considering there is a demand on good used trucks. Mine still has factory suspension and exhaust. It is a lil rough on brake pads and rotors , but it’s not due to bad calipers. In any negotiation, there’s room. Have it checked out and if all passes, then offer $18, bring cash as it’s hard to pass up. Mike

·
Registered
867 Posts
Older 5.7...they age well...

First, thank you all for the replies, I appreciate the advice! Unfortunately, the truck sold before I could make an offer, but I am now convinced that I do want to stick with a Tundra. I have found there are more of the 4.6 L V8's available in my price range. Would it be better to get a newer 4.6L w/o 4WD or an older 5.7L if I am mainly using this to tow my 6K lb travel trailer?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put a 3" OME lift on my truck at 110K miles with 35" tires. I also put dual exhaust on it when I bought it. Truck has not had any issues other than mentioned above.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks again!
You don't want the 4.6 to tow the trailer. The 4.6 doesn't have the tow package, and the tranny won't hold up to the strain. You need the 5,7, since all 5.7's include the tow package. Your trailer is at the upper weight limit of what a Tundra can tow, based on tongue load, so a 4.6 would be underpowered and overloaded.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is one of the best year Tundra's in terms of build quality and reliability. The engine is great. As long as it was maintained decently it should still be very strong. See if it's been checked for underbody/frame rust as part of the recall and if it passed...

I would agree. This one should have an external trans cooler the gauge and i heard way more pedal response. The downside is that 08 had the old style backing plates on them which will need updating when they start grinding and the trans pan bolts like to break off. I would not drop the pan i wpuld just do drain and fills on the trans if you buy it. I have experienced both issues but my truck is rusty

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congrats and welcome... Go for it..any pixs?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got the first year, 2000 SR5 Ext Cab 4X4, 4.7L TRD, that I bought brand new in Aug of 1999. I don't drive it much anymore but it has over 208K miles on it and still runs strong. I put a leveling lift on it, after I had it for 2 years, along with flow masters that make it sound great. I use it mainly for picking up large items or doing dump runs. I just did the 2nd timing belt, along with all the other items that get replaced with this repair, and the mechanic, I had do the work, said the belt still looked fine. First belt I replaced at about 99K and the mechanic said the same thing with that original timing belt. It'll probably be the last time I do that and cost for timing belt, thermostat, tensioners and pulleys and thermostat housing was $1241. Way cheaper than the dealership as they quoted me 1500 just for the timing belt, tensioners and pulleys. I've had to replace a few CV axels due to the boots cracking but mostly on the passenger side. I have replaced 4 on the passenger side and only one on the driver side. They are easy to do, takes me about the same time as an oil change (30 min). This truck has been bullet proof and It's by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. I run synthetic 10w30 and change the oil very infrequently since it's not driven much. I've done the front brakes, multiple times, but the rear brake only once from the original shoes. I'll keep it until it dies but it doesn't feel like that will be anytime soon. Love this truck and it's definitely paid for itself.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I towed with a 07 DC with the 4.7L and a 2011 and 2012 CM with the 4.6. I towed a 32 ft TT and it towed nice. The 4.6L is a 300 HP truck and that is plenty to tow. One caution, they changed the rear axle that is paired with the 4.6L in about 2012 to the lighter duty 6 cyl rear end and that reduced the tow capacity rating of the truck. I towed my 32 Ft TT with it no problem, but it does have a lower tow rating than the 5.7L. That was the only change they made.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That seems a bit pricey as I sold my latest Tundra 2007, 68K for $15,500, and that was with a lift level and new BF A/T's.
Great truck. With the A/T's got about 18 mpg on trips. only one battery change. Towed well, and it would hold a ton (literally) in the bed, and drive without a hitch. Never had any problems with the 4 wheel drive engagement. The only down side is the high maintenance to keep the rust off. Would have kept that truck for another bunch of years, but the kids grew to fast.
Good luck on your purchase!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2010 5.7 Crewmax tows like a beast at its age. Sadly I have it up for sale. New trailer coming in at 14k lbs plus.
20210115_132914.jpg
20210122_165258.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts