Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post on this forum.Looks like a very good site.I am looking at a 2003 4.7 V8 4wd creampuff that my boss is selling.It has 95,000 miles on it.Hardly ever used 4wd since he only used it going to and from work.Never really had anything in the bed other than maybe a garbage can and a tennis racket---All the paint is still in the bed.I will be going over the frame for rot and such with a fine tooth comb.I will be using this as an interim truck and a crappy weather truck since I am ordering a new 2500 Chevy HD 4wd.Like to know anything I should look at before I consider purchasing it.He wants $8k and basically won't budge.I am selling an 02 Ford F250 for $4k so theoretically I am paying only $4k for the tundra.How is the pricing on something like this.He just had the interior detailed since he is pretty anal about his stuff.Also it is an extended cab which is what I want just to store tools and hunting equipment.Till I get my HD ,how much can I tow short haul with this ? I have a 10,000 lb dump trailer that at most would haul 5-6k including trailer weight.10 miles to the quarry for stone and mulch.Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated. Thanks Ed M

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
5 or 6 speed transmission? The five speed had week planetary gears. I toasted my 02 bytowing in od. My mistake. As long as you don't heavy tow that seems like a decent price. Truck is good for lots more miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have not got that far with questions yet.I thought though from reading that they were 4spd autos back then.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have not got that far with questions yet.I thought though from reading that they were 4spd autos back then.
Price sounds nice. I paid just under 9K for a 2001 at 106k almost 2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
5 speed or 6 speed? Not sure what kind of truck you're talking about. 03 Tundra has a 4 speed auto, 05-06 Tundra has 5 speed auto. Damn second gen guys. :lol5:

The 03 has several upgrades over previous models including a stronger planetary gear, drive by wire, larger brake calipers from mid-year on. The front of the body is slightly restyled and looks better.

Things to look for: Was the timing belt/water pump maintenance done? This is the only major maintenance these trucks need, it can get pricey. If it hasn't been done that isn't a reason to walk from the deal but could be ammo to get your boss budging. If that fails, I'm at 156k with original timing belt/water pump still.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts