Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to give my engine compartment a detail today and noticed a bunch of leaves and debris under the cowl vent. Apparently, the PO parked under a eucalyptus tree and half of its leaves ended up under the cowl. Well, the area under the cowl vent is designed to direct water behind the front wheel in the quarter panel. It works for water, but not debris. Here's a picture of the area after I cleaned it. I didn't take a before pic, but it was gross.

I knew there had to be a ton of debris down in the quarter panel, but I didn't know how to get to it. I first tried taking off the mud flap, but that was a dead end. Then I opened the door and looked behind this little rubber flap.

Bingo, there it was! I couldn't believe how much stuff was in there. I can't imagine this is a good thing to have hiding in your quarter panel. Looks like a recipe for rust and corrosion. The rubber cover just peels back and pops back into position when your'e done. I figure this is what it was designed for.

And here's everything removed. I'm going to check this area from time to time and blow it out with compressed air.

I posted this so that maybe others can look to see if they have a tree's worth of leaves living in their quarter panels. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
thanks, was it hard to pull off the cowl?

Funny thing that leaves & debris in the cowl really bother me on our cars and trucks in the family. When the my 20 something boys come home for a visit, I end up cleaning all this crap out... it's just can't be a good thing to clog up the venting.

one of my pet peeves...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cowl comes off easily. There is a button screw on either end and several tabs along the bottom. Remove the wipers with an 8mm? wrench and it pops right off.

I'm pretty anal about that stuff too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yep...all that debris holds moisture against the metal...perfect scenario for rust...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had the same issue years ago when I bought my old Taco. I had an ant problem... Ants everywhere and couldn't figure out where they were coming from. I searched the truck top to bottom and cleaned it out thinking there was some old food somewhere. Turns out the ants had built a home in all the debris behind the fender. Flushed out all the debris with the hose and the problem was solved. The previous owner must have parked under a tree or something.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
The cowl comes off easily. There is a button screw on either end and several tabs along the bottom. Remove the wipers with an 8mm? wrench and it pops right off.

I'm pretty anal about that stuff too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Make sure you get it back on good or pad the touch points. The windshield cowl is one of the worst noise makers on the Tundra.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Im going to have to check mine when I get back to the states.

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
yeah I found this on my 08 tundra too. Just pull the little flap once a year and rinse with a garden hose

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Dang. I was hoping for Leprechaun treasure! Or at least a squirrel or mouse.

In a Lotus we usually find a wrench or hammer or a personal note from a guy at the factory.

Good to know how to get in there and clean it out though. Thanks!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Tv show

I had the same issue years ago when I bought my old Taco. I had an ant problem... Ants everywhere and couldn't figure out where they were coming from. I searched the truck top to bottom and cleaned it out thinking there was some old food somewhere. Turns out the ants had built a home in all the debris behind the fender. Flushed out all the debris with the hose and the problem was solved. The previous owner must have parked under a tree or something.
Sounds like you should start a new tv show called Tundra Infested.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I tried to get into mine today but ran out of time. With rain on the way, I had to put the wipers back on. I'm usually pretty good with this stuff but ran into trouble getting the cowl off! I have a dash noise that I want to eliminate / solve with removing the cowl and keeping it off to confirm it as the source. If the noise is gone without the cowl in place, then I will pad the contact points and reassemble. Which way do you pull the clips from under the hood? Towards the grill or towards the cab?? Any tips on getting this cowl off? Thanks guys..

·
Registered
138 Posts
I found someone who said you pry those tabs under the cowl towards the grill with a flatblade screwdriver, working from one side to the other. Will try again.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I removed the cowl. It is on my workbench in the garage and I still have that annoying rattle in the dash, so the cowl was not it!! Im going to clean out the leaves and re-install tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
When I removed my glove box to run a speaker wire for my center channel from the MS-8, I came across the cabin filter door.
I wasn't aware my 14 had an in cabin filter, but found it when I pulled the glove box.
I removed the filter and found this, the truck only had 4K miles on it.

Apparently the dealership that my dealership got my truck from used balloons on their vehicles on the show lot.>:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
I removed the cowl. It is on my workbench in the garage and I still have that annoying rattle in the dash, so the cowl was not it!! Im going to clean out the leaves and re-install tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts