Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a Tundra. Have any of your guys with the 2d generation gone over 100k miles yet? The Fords I have owned have been very reliable and I have 200k on the present 2002 model but I don't really like the newer models too well. I read on a post elsewhere on here where a guy had to replace his tranny at 90k.

I tend to keep my trucks for a long time. Which engine, the 5.7 or 4.6 has historically had the least problems and lasted the longest. I could probably live with either one and I don't tow anything really heavy.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
They will last a long time if you do your maintenance and don't drive it like you stole it. :lol5:

My 1993 Supra is still running without any problems after 18 years. ;)

Now my friend had a new 2010 F150 and only after 3 months of owning it he need a new trainsmission. :eek: Did you see that I said "he had" a F150 he is now driving a Tundra.

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
I am considering a Tundra. Have any of your guys with the 2d generation gone over 100k miles yet? The Fords I have owned have been very reliable and I have 200k on the present 2002 model but I don't really like the newer models too well. I read on a post elsewhere on here where a guy had to replace his tranny at 90k.

I tend to keep my trucks for a long time. Which engine, the 5.7 or 4.6 has historically had the least problems and lasted the longest. I could probably live with either one and I don't tow anything really heavy.

Thanks.
I'm the one who had tranny and torque go at 96k. I think I'm the only one also that had that issue. I'm at 121,633 miles now. Still on my original brake pads. Just bought my 3rd set of Bridgestone Duelers. I have mostly interstate miles. I may have 30,000 in city driving. You hve a guy called coolrays who has near if not 200,000 on his 07. I haven't heard anyone yet with a 4.6 with high mileage. If I had the choice again I would stay where I'm at. I had a couple of warranty issues which I caused that were repaired at no cost to me. I would go with another CM platinum series.

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
every toyota my family has owned has gone for a long time, and i feel that a big v8 even though its still kind of new territory for toyota would last even longer since its such a hefty engine with durable parts. best thing that could give you the best idea is go to you tube and look up toyota tundra 100,000 mile break down. they took a 07 dc long bed with the 5.7 and 6 speed and gave it to a texas rancher for its first 100,000 miles and after it was done they ripped it down to nothing just see what kind of stress it went through. and o yeah, the guy who was driving it towed horse trailers that were over its capacities and when they took it apart the inner parts looked amazing and still pretty damn close to new.

·
Premium Member
5,489 Posts
I have a tech at work with an 07 and he has over 230K on the 5.7 with no issues. Original trans and differentials. He also runs a 3/1 lift and drives it hard.

39K on my 10 with no issues.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Engines are fine. Transmission is the weakest link in these trucks. Lack of gearing causing excessive shifting. Same problem the other makers are having with a few of their car trans.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have heard of 5.7L Tundras over 100k and still smoking the tires and running quarter miles as fast as they were new. That impresses me. I also love the accelerator pedal on my 5.7L. The seat of the pants feel just puts a big grin on my face while making my fiance go for the oh crap handles. :D

·
Registered
762 Posts
The 4.6 and 5.7 are essentially the same engine, just a few differences to change the displacement. Toyota supplies plenty of build info on the engine, I can send some PDF files via e-mail for anyone interested.

IME, the transmission issues are mostly due to the long service intervals using up the fluid. Change the fluid and it will enjoy a nice long life.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The 4.6 and 5.7 are essentially the same engine, just a few differences to change the displacement. Toyota supplies plenty of build info on the engine, I can send some PDF files via e-mail for anyone interested.

IME, the transmission issues are mostly due to the long service intervals using up the fluid. Change the fluid and it will enjoy a nice long life.

Anyone drain and fill before the 100K? have read horror stories about folks changing out the tranny fluid early and starting to have issues. What about using REDLINE Tranny fluid as opposed to the Toyota blend? Just curious

Semper Fi

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Flex 5.7L. I don’t run ethanol in it due to decreased mileage. Not worth it with prices so close. I currently have 120k. I travel for work and haul a job box full of tools. I am just now needing new brake pads. I have bought one set of tires. The ones that came on it cupped at 40k. I like to run Nitto Terra grapplers G2, load rated. They rate them for 65k. My tread was at half life when I hit 65k on them. [I have had zero issues and that’s even being max payload and driving through mountains. QUOTE="Slidellkid, post: 633399, member: 42817"]

Thanks.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
62 Posts

Thanks.
Wow, if you got that many miles out of a Ford you'll be fine with either. I can't hardly wait to find out how you'll do with a Tundra. I've had Ford's and Chevy's with 200,000 miles on them, but they were a money pit and totally unreliable. Conversely, I've had 20+ Toyota's of all models and gotten 500,000 miles or more with regular maintenance (tires, brakes, plugs, air filters, thermostats, belts, radiator rodded out, a starter on 1 and alternator on another).

·
Registered
665 Posts
I bought my '07 5.7L when it had 270,000 ... it has 302,000 and all I have done is replace the fuel pump. It runs great, makes plenty of power, and it's a blast to drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wanted a Tundra for a long time, but I drove 40 miles one way to work and didn't want to have to feed it.
I now work 2 miles away and got an '07 DC TRD 5.7 Didn;t want spend 40k for a new one. It had 168k on it when I got it and now has 178k.
I knew about the frame issues and gave it a good look underneath before buying. I was lucky, the guy who had it before me had it undercoated when new and about 5 years ago he had it recoated.
I've had to replace the tranny solenoid and the secondary air injection valves. But it runs and drives as good as my wife's Camry XLE.
It's everything I could have hoped for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The people commenting that they have 60K miles with no issues lol. I certainly hope so! This thread is for 150-200K owners if you haven't figured it out yet.
Back on topic. If you look at the prices of Tundras with 100K miles on them, I think that answers your question.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts