Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get the camburg LT kit for my ‘18 tundra trd 4x4. I’m new to off road suspension setups but I do know that long travel suspensions and towing capabilities are complete opposites. But I was hoping to have some sort of setup that would still allow a good amount of rear travel and still be ok towing my boat. Is that at all possible? I saw that carli has long travel air bags but only for dodge and ford. Is there any setups that might fit my needs for the rear? Maybe custom leaf spring pack?

Also, what else should I get that doesn’t come with the Camburg LT kit? Diff drop spacers? Drive shaft drop bracket? Are the drive line angles an issue with long travel kits? Aftermarket spindles or will the stock ones be ok with the weld-on gusset kit?

·
Registered
432 Posts
i would suggest researching and reading EVERYTHING you can find on the subject before you commit.
your not just bolting on lt, your paying a shop to do it and then paying them to dial it in for you, or your spending a lot of time doing it yourself.
Its a big project and commitment, and there is no going back.
Worth it in the end? Ill tell you when im done :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What about the Pro Comp Long Travel kit? Seems like a decent setup for someone to get their feet wet in the long travel world. Keep in mind, I’m not gonna be running my tundra hard in the desert, and definitely not on a daily basis. I just want to be able to have some fun when I do go out and play. Not trying to win any races or beauty contests. I just want to be able to do some moderate trails and get a little heavy footed in the desert without too much worry about breaking something and be able to get home without the need for a tow truck.

The tundra is the “daily” driver/ family camping/ hunting truck. And the pro comp advertises it is still street worthy. I say “daily” because most of the time, we take my wife’s car when doing stuff around town. And also because I am deployed over seas 80% of the year anyway, like I am now. So my truck sits at home.

I’ve got an 05 Tacoma prerunner that is going to be my project race truck. That’s the one I’m going to be doing the serious wrenching on.

·
Premium Member
15,631 Posts
Why is that? What’s wrong with it? Not saying you’re wrong, I’m asking so I know what it is you’re looking at to make a suspension system good or bad.
from what i understand they use Cast iron parts that dont do well in the off road desert environment, that and they're not proven.

Total Chaos, Camburg, Icon, ADS. those are proven.
I'd suggest Total chaos.

·
Registered
432 Posts
What about the Pro Comp Long Travel kit? Seems like a decent setup for someone to get their feet wet in the long travel world. Keep in mind, I’m not gonna be running my tundra hard in the desert, and definitely not on a daily basis. I just want to be able to have some fun when I do go out and play. Not trying to win any races or beauty contests. I just want to be able to do some moderate trails and get a little heavy footed in the desert without too much worry about breaking something and be able to get home without the need for a tow truck.

The tundra is the “daily” driver/ family camping/ hunting truck. And the pro comp advertises it is still street worthy. I say “daily” because most of the time, we take my wife’s car when doing stuff around town. And also because I am deployed over seas 80% of the year anyway, like I am now. So my truck sits at home.

I’ve got an 05 Tacoma prerunner that is going to be my project race truck. That’s the one I’m going to be doing the serious wrenching on.

All this you just wrote would lead me to heavily encourage you to consider not "going long travel" with the Tundra. Stick with a very nice mid-travel setup- ICON, TC, Camburg, Fox etc... one that will yield you a 2.5-3": lift and the ability to run 35" tires without issue. Run a 2.5" BODYU FR/RR shock with Remote Rezis. This will give your truck a whole new ride and everything you described will be achieved and then some with that setup. And it wont break the bank or take half a year to dial in. I can build a Tundra with that setup any day of the week, and still have time to get a few Powder Runs in the AM.
If you want more- easy!!
Add the K37 full rear spring pack instead of just a mini pack.
want more- add bypass shocks in rear and a secondary shock in front.
Want more- add hydro bumps on each corner.

I had a very nice ICON mid travel setup on my truck for years. It rode great on most terrain, obviously it had limitations.
But so does a Full LT setup. When LT Kits don't fit the bill- then your off dropping your truck at LSK or Solo getting a Race Kit.

You've got the Taco, so seems like your saying you just want your truck to handle "most" situations on normal trails?

Ha- it all comes down to TIME AND $$$.>:D i am lucky and i have time and the drive (and the tools)to do it all myself (read: hack), if i had to pay a shop...... No Fing way!!

Make sure you start a build thread so we can all rip on you thru the process, and come wheeling with me- and my family- when your back on tires!!! We get out into Death Valley, Eastern Sierras, and N. Nevada quite often. Really fun and gorgeous places to tour

·
Premium Member
15,631 Posts
@zidaro gave some great advice.
If you're not gungo-ho on getting LT, definitely consider going MT.
my truck is MT, bypasses in all 4 corners, Total Chaos UCA, TC bypass hoop, TC spindle gussets, TC cam tab gussets, Fox coil overs and fox triple bypasses up front, ADS triple bypasses in rear, alcan progressive leaf pack and coach builder leafs. I have them dialed in to where i can hang behind most LT guys on the medium trails, obviously the LT guys can fly past me once it gets really choppy but with the valving i have now, i can fly off road.
and i can still tow, which i do quite a lot, boat, horse trailer, flat trailer, dump trailer all on a regular basis.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your setup sounds exactly like what I need. I wanna be able to have some fun in the dirt, but still be able to tow my boat safely when I need to.

I can’t seem to find coach builder leafs. I found shackles but not leafs. What are coachbuilders anyway? Is that a name brand? Or a part build for a specific purpose?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So you don’t run air bags to help support weight like zidaros setup? You just use a heavy leaf spring pack? When I emailed Deaver about what I was looking for, they told me they had a pack like what I’m looking for. Part number U748. Couldn’t find it on their website but they said the sites out of date.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And why did you choose to go with all total chaos parts? Why not icon or camburg?

I was told that the SPC UCAs were much better that most uniballs because it has the same performance and strength as uniballs but they last longer and are more adjustable for easier alignment. I heard the uniball is supposed to be replaced about every 15-20k miles, sooner if you run your truck harder more often.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.