Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

61 - 80 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm not hard to satisfy,I will take what I can get. However, i'm with fishin dude on this one. For the money we spend on these trucks, there should be more options. I knitter its more cost effective for Toyota to offer less options....and I respect that.

She thinks my Tundras sexy!

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
you are only paying under 35k for a 2wd full sized. 30k is not much money these days, back in the day a fire fighter brought home 27k and that was a good amount of money now on average in Texas one will start at 45k yet we still are in the same tax bracket. the us dollar does not buy as much as it used to. hell a coke from the gas station is 1.25 now when it used to be 5 cents. not calling out trucks cheap but its just a full sized truck, its not some big named dripping in leather and class vehicle. my truck was 26k otd and its all just engine and power my interior is total crap lol black cloth and a stereo with a loose aux connection but its what i paid for. it looks good on the outside and goes like a stuck pig but it still has huge areas to improve on. saying our trucks are 30k is not saying much anymore, if they were 50 grand and exactly what they are now then yeah i'd agree that we should get whatever we want done to them.

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
I hear you. I wanted black because my last 4 trucks were black. Did that stop me from still getting a $40k truck? No. It was best for me to get what I like. Never I repeat never go buying a vehicle with one color in mind or tell the salesman you like what color. I like several dark colors so I went with this Nautical Blue. I like it better than the black now. Guess what? It doesn't come in the platinum pkg colors. That won't stop me from buying a platinum on my next ride. If you're going to buy a Raptor just for the color then you wasted $50k on a color. As mentioned before what doesn't sell they make changes. If not look at the article about Pontiac, Mi. To keep competitive you don't have as much colors as before. Also the factory now makes Tundra's alongside Tacoma's Too many different colors so now they both use the same paint colors. Cost effective. It's okay to vent but to change manufacturer's on a color and as mention before you can get it painted your color you like for less than a Raptor then it's all about you, not the truck. Just so you can see I don't own a ferd nor chebby anymore:cool:

As you can see they are black but was I did you hear me (I) wasn't still satisfied. If I tell you how many trips to the shop I made with both trucks I could write a short story and be on the New York finest best seller's list.

you are only paying under 35k for a 2wd full sized. 30k is not much money these days, back in the day a fire fighter brought home 27k and that was a good amount of money now on average in Texas one will start at 45k yet we still are in the same tax bracket. the us dollar does not buy as much as it used to. hell a coke from the gas station is 1.25 now when it used to be 5 cents. not calling out trucks cheap but its just a full sized truck, its not some big named dripping in leather and class vehicle. my truck was 26k otd and its all just engine and power my interior is total crap lol black cloth and a stereo with a loose aux connection but its what i paid for. it looks good on the outside and goes like a stuck pig but it still has huge areas to improve on. saying our trucks are 30k is not saying much anymore, if they were 50 grand and exactly what they are now then yeah i'd agree that we should get whatever we want done to them.

although i agree that all manufacturers should have certain specific special order colors, i also see that there is a limit...

how many colors are enough colors?

if someone wants neon green, or extreme pink, should they have that available?

what about blue, royal blue, sea blue, navy blue... i can keep going, now: metallic flake? diamond flake? pearlescent specs?

ford blue looks dumb, and there are 3 that all owners work near my work, every day i see them and it looks just like one of the other workers trucks.

any aftermarket paint job will be better than oem...

however, if 1 in 300 people arent happy with the other ten colors, they should get it painted or deal with it.

i mean really, to say im gonna buy a ford just to get the color, thats about as stupid as saying u were going to ... thought lost sry

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Yes color is important, but to me it isn't worth stepping into a different vehicle I am not impressed with. I would just look for a color I can live with while searching for a paint booth in my area that does quality work and has a good reputation.

Reminds me of when some women go car shopping. Dealer asks them which model are they interested in and the women responds with a blue one :hilarious:!

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
I can't understand why they dropped the Blue Streak Metallic. I have a 2009 Corolla S in that color and it looks great. Other than where my daughter backed over it.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I can't understand why they dropped the Blue Streak Metallic. I have a 2009 Corolla S in that color and it looks great. Other than where my daughter backed over it.
Yeah, only the dark blue now. :confused:
They also dropped Salsa Red Pearl.
They now have two reds and two mica colors that are almost identical.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I'm with the guy who dislikes the color choices and what the trucks cost nowadays without toyota having an option to get what you exactly want from the factory and take what is just on the lots. Less than 5 years ago, I could go into any chevy showroom floor and order my exact truck with exact options I wanted. Not so with toyota and never has been. I see the reasoning to save money, but a 30K+ vehicle should be able to order from factory and wait for it just like a GM/Ford product ONLY IF one is not available in your option selection on lots within say a 200 mile radius.

Now on color, I too dislike the options on 2012 tundras. Color is personal preference, but I am extremely fussy on color and think that is just as important as options. I loved the 2007/08' timberline green metallic and hate the new spruce mica green (too forest green and with gold flakes, not silver, in the paint, it looks butt ugly especially in direct sunlight). Now, toyota also got rid of slate gray metallic very nice color and instead has magnetic gray metallic (not as nice). Also, what I have now is salsa red which is a nicer darker red metallic than the medium red barcelona red metallic. Does anyone get the fact that Toyota is ONLY offering colors that are in other Toyota vehicles such as magnetic gray metallic same exact color as in toyota corolla and barcelona red metallic offered in the RAV4. What I really want is a nice dark blue color but the nautical blue metallic is about the ONLY color choice still available since I think either 2007 or 2008 model year tundra and has not changed. Nautical blue is way too dark of blue and is near black especially cloudy days and at night, it looks black to me. If toyota came out with a dark blue, but has more blue than black in the paint, I would either get that color for sure or only if toyota came out with salsa red again because barcelona red is too light of a color. Personally, I dislike blue streak metallic (I like darker colors in full size trucks), but can see the niche where someone would want it I guess.

Toyota, are you listening? I doubt it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is some research to suggest that the colors White and Silver make a vehicle that is slightly more visible. I am not sure if that is enough to sway your opinion but it is worth consideration. A study in Australia concluded that Silver was the safest, but I think that only applies to the night time. White is considered more visible except in snow. I am not sure what the percentages are, but I would guess White or Silver is ten percent more visible? Colors like sand and grey that blend in more, and, in my opinion less likely to be seen.

"An Investigation into the relationship between vehicle colour and crash risk."
http://www.monash.edu.au/miri/research/reports/muarc263.pdf

"Investigation of the Relationship Between Vehicle Color and Safety."
OhioLINK ETD: Owusu-Ansah, Stephen

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
You know... all you guys whining about the colors and options need to go buy some ferds or chebbys... It's simply not Toyota's sales model to do a la carte on its vehicles... get over it and yourselves.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
fishin guy, I used to think and hope, like you, that if I as an individual would just give a reasonable explanation to a big company they would understand and try to help; they won't.

Mickey, nice yard! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
ok, now that i slept, i remember my thought...

last week i did a plow install on a new 2011 chev 1 ton, it was some stupid ass green, not like forest green, like kinda pastel green, with pukish colored tan interior...

they guy said they took 10k off it because it was a special ordered color and the customer wasn't happy with it and didn't buy it...

maybe thats another reason many manufacturers do not do special colors.

ohh, and wheres this article about pontiac lol

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
There is some research to suggest that the colors White and Silver make a vehicle that is slightly more visible. I am not sure if that is enough to sway your opinion but it is worth consideration. A study in Australia concluded that Silver was the safest, but I think that only applies to the night time. White is considered more visible except in snow. I am not sure what the percentages are, but I would guess White or Silver is ten percent more visible? Colors like sand and grey that blend in more, and, in my opinion less likely to be seen.

"An Investigation into the relationship between vehicle colour and crash risk."
http://www.monash.edu.au/miri/research/reports/muarc263.pdf

"Investigation of the Relationship Between Vehicle Color and Safety."
OhioLINK ETD: Owusu-Ansah, Stephen
I don't care about research on safest colors. I want the best looking color and for me, dark metallic colors look better on a full sized truck. Never will I get white here in WI since it is totally unseen and not visible 5 months of the year in the snow. I almost hit a vehicle in a blizzard and never saw it coming at me and it was white.

As far as CodyH goes, bite me! Color is important and options and if you don't like it, too bad. We have as much right to our opinions and we like the tundra just that color and options are more important to us than you, we have a right to be picky and you don't need to badmouth us. If you have nothing good or constructive to say, keep quiet.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Just venting fellas.... no need to get all bent out of shape. I'd just like to see Toyota offer customizations, or at least more options.

This is what makes everyone different. It's not a big deal to you, but it is to me. I'm not asking for your approval or for you to agree with me. I'm just complaining because I can.
Copy the vent but like I said when Toyota started building the tacomas at the San Antonio plant alongside the Tundra you have to see Toyota's point. First and foremost how many Tundra's are sold per year? Now compare that to GM and Ford. That's why they can tailor to the customer better than Toyota can In actuality the Tundra is a near failure because they aren;t putting out the #'s they wanted. So in saving cost and keeping the Tundra going Toyota brought in the Tacoma to the same plant for cost savings. Now look at the Tacoma paint and Tundra paint. Only a few matched so Toyota went with saving cost and keeping the price down by downsizing the paint colors and putting those on both trucks.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
About what time next year should the 2014 models be out??

Hell, I may just do a few more mods to my current truck (and install the ostrich skin leather seats ive been wanting - with blue stripes), and just get the new model!
Now you're talking. Keep what you like. Being close to 128k miles you got a long time to enjoy your truck.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
fishin guy, I used to think and hope, like you, that if I as an individual would just give a reasonable explanation to a big company they would understand and try to help; they won't.

Mickey, nice yard! :thumbsup:
Thanks. It was my last house off the Intercoastal Waterway.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Copy the vent but like I said when Toyota started building the tacomas at the San Antonio plant alongside the Tundra you have to see Toyota's point. First and foremost how many Tundra's are sold per year? Now compare that to GM and Ford. That's why they can tailor to the customer better than Toyota can In actuality the Tundra is a near failure because they aren;t putting out the #'s they wanted. So in saving cost and keeping the Tundra going Toyota brought in the Tacoma to the same plant for cost savings. Now look at the Tacoma paint and Tundra paint. Only a few matched so Toyota went with saving cost and keeping the price down by downsizing the paint colors and putting those on both trucks.
yah, cost savings pinching pennies but they also have the barcelona red and magnetic gray and other colors on most of the toyota lineup and the other toyota vehicles all are not made in the same plant? It is not that hard of a job to switch paint assembly from one paint color to the other with all the automation going on in the plants. It just seems that the same exact colors are on almost all the other vehicles in toyotas' lineup and the designers at toyota who make up those colors are not very original.

61 - 80 of 130 Posts