Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
As the owner of a 2018, I can say I'd probably been just as good with a 2017. The issues with the first year of the radar (2018) were a hassle. 2nd and 3gens are nearly identical, but I like the look of the 3gen best, and the 1gen is too small. If I was in the market TODAY, I'd buy a Certified Used 2017 Platinum, no matter how many miles it had.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had three Tundras, '08, '16, & currently '19, all double cab limited 5.7 4x4s. Long stories about why I'm on number three, but I wish I still had my 2008.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As the owner of a 2018, I can say I'd probably been just as good with a 2017. The issues with the first year of the radar (2018) were a hassle. ...
I was nervous about all the "nanny" junk on 2018s, but I've had zero problems. I've set the "pre collision" and "lane drift" to their default settings, I think I've had at most 1-2 truly wrong/false alerts in 1.5 years, and none tried to apply brakes.
The "lane drift" warning often "sees" better than my 68 yr old eyes when it's very dark (no moon, no street lights) and the lane markings are faded -- I kinda like it.
I've had a few "pre collision" warnings when jack asses have cut in front of me, but no brakes were applied, and I would have let off the gas but no brakes, with or without the alert.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had 2000, 2008, and 2018. Love my 2018 Platinum Crewmax, but really looking forward to the second year of the Gen 4.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2008 SR5 Crewmax still drive it with 230,000 rear wheel bearings starting to growl time for new bearings
I read a survey done by a reputable rag a few months ago, it was composed of the best vehicles made in the last 10 years. 2006-2016, the 2008-2009 Tundra came in second behind a Camry (cant remember the cars year) the list was compiled from any customer repairs and recall issues. A truck that scored second out of all the vehicles is mind-blowing when you think many of them get used for work, towing etc. Lucky me, I also have a 2008 and fingers crossed it goes forever, mine has 125k on it and I purchased with 92k on it. She has now seen mud, snow and sand. Was like new underneath when I purchased it. I have towed over 8,000 pounds on many occasions and the only thing I did was upgrade the front brakes for better stopping power, it needed new pads but I always felt the pedal was dead as it didn't give any feedback and something I noticed in Tacos as well. Huge difference! Shortly after took it to the mountains and did many long braking declines including one that was 5 miles as steep as any road I have seen. Those new rotors and pads made a huge difference. Anyway I think you might have one of the best trucks of the best trucks ever made.

Also the 2013 Honda Pilot came in the top 5, and its what I purchased my wife. She hates it now and I found a 1999 LX470 (Landcruiser) with 215k miles on it cheap and she hasn't touched the Honda since. BTW the Landcruiser is listed as the most likely to hit 300k miles and I dont doubt it either by 2 to 1 over the Sequoia, mall crawlers I know..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ive had a 2000, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2014 Tundra and my current 2011 Rock Warrior. They were all great but the 2004 Dbl. Cab (crew cab back then) Limited was probably my favorite but my current pristine ‘11 Rock Warrior is a close 2nd.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For "full-size" without the bulk the first gen can't be beat. Some Tacoma models are longer than my Access cab but lack the seating comfort, power and bed size. Luv the 2nd+3rd gen but they sure got super-sized and would never fit my mini-mansion garage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts