Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a 2008 double cab in great condition. However the years have taken their toll on the front plastic above the bumper and some of the hood. I was thinking about just line-x ing the front plastic piece and the hood. Anyone done this before and so what are the advantages or disadvantages? Also if anyone has some pics that would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
I've seen it done on the upper bumper and chrome bumper and it looks sweet. In fact, I'm going to that this summer at some point. I'm interested to see if anyone's done their hood. If you will be the first, I can't wait to see it.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
I'd like to see if anyone has done this. My hood and roof is trashed on my gen1 due to crappy clearcoat. Told wife this weekend I was considering plastidipping just the hood roof and upper parts of the front fenders and doors. Any thoughts on plastidipping vs lineX?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I think Im gonna go ahead and do it. Ill definitely stand out. Black with the dark green will look good, I did the bed myself and it came out great and saved me mad cash. Prob do the same with the hood. I put some pics on here when done.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have seen at least one Tundra (on another site) that has lineX'd the whole truck. Looks bad ass.. not cheap though.

I have seen it on a few Jeeps in person and I gotta say they look sweet.

As for lineX vs PD..
PD is cheaper, reversible, but not as durrable
LineX is stronger, better looking IMO, but not as cheap and I dont think it is something you can undo.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I think it would look good also. Black, dark charcoal or even the same green. It should have the right texture to not show finger prints. Keep in mind, if you want to avoid the little white stripe along with it... you'll have to tape off the edge when waxing.

keep us posted. :yesnod:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Didnt think about the weight. Really? That much weight? If I do it myself it cant weigh more than the gallon of material (approx 8-10lbs). Am I missing something?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Don't do it.
It's going to add a lot of weight. A prop rod or stronger struts will be needed.
Some low gloss black or even better to buy some wrap vinyl. You could even get carbon fiber looking vinyl
Wrapping a vehicle costs as much or more than Line-X/Paint...There's really no good reason to do it unless you're trying to advertise. Plastidip or Line-X, that's the ticket.

It's been said it adds about 200 lbs if you do a full vehicle. It's been done a lot over the years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. Im learning toward the do it yourself bedliner. Ill keep you posted. My bed came out really well when I did it years ago with no issues to date. I used the kit from Advance Auto. It faded after a while but I went to lowes and bought some exterior flat black paint and it look amazing and hasnt faded or chipped one bit. They line-x guy wanted 900.00 for the bed and sides. I paid 89.00 with a military discount and some elbow grease. More to follow.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I'd like to see if anyone has done this. My hood and roof is trashed on my gen1 due to crappy clearcoat. Told wife this weekend I was considering plastidipping just the hood roof and upper parts of the front fenders and doors. Any thoughts on plastidipping vs lineX?
I actually plan on doing this to my first gen also, as the paint is like yours. I am going to do the pd, as I want to be able to take it off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh forgot to ask. How hard is it to take the plastic bumper portion off or should I just tape it off and do it on the truck? Side note: You can see from the first pic I included how I came over the edge of the bed about 4 inches to hide some scratches. I think it came out well.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks good. I think it makes the trucks look tougher also. Why did you decide against plastic piece?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I was being lazy and didn't want to pull it off to spray it. I can always go back and spray it later. I want to pull the bumper and spray it too just didn't have the time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did it

Ok i did it. I think it looks cool. Texture not perfect but Ill fix that after its cured. Different. I was kinda a pain the get the plastic piece off but I did it. One note, under the grill insert along the hood there was allot of rust. Im glad I found it, I sanded and lined it too. Let me know what ya think. Before pic is in my first post.

Attachments

Reactions: BigBlueAZ

·
Registered
740 Posts
Just so you know Line-x has 3 different finishes (if your Line-X shop is worth anything), very light textured (like you can barley notice) to the typical bed liner finish. The weight is not an issue, your prop rod is quite fine. Also Line-X can color match. If youre happy with your truck thats all that matters...personally I would have had line-x do it with the premium coat(never fade).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. It does get attention. I armorall'd it it looks even better. Was thinkin about doin the roof and tailgate. Kinda like a black stripe down the middle. Lol Maybe Im just a nut. I did get rid off all the rock chips (bonus). I like standing out. Plus theres only one other green Tundra in town and its stock.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I really dig it, man. That's gonna save from rock chips so well. Nicely done!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts