Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
That is what I think too, our paint quality isn't the best and this dealer may hire a cut rate to fix it. It would be new truck, new paint job on the truck, or top of the line Line-X all the way around.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
New truck. Period. You should not have to deal with some detailer having to molest your clear coat on a 5 day old 40,000 dollar truck due to the linex dealer's screw-up. Even trade, nothing changes, they take this one back and fix it and put it on the lot and sell it to someone else. You get a brand new one that is perfect and unmolested just like you paid for.

The overspray has happened before. Sometimes no matter how good a truck appears to be masked material can work its way under there and get on the paint. And people HAVE had luck with the clay bar. But it's typically not the whole side of the bed or the truck. If this were a few small areas I would say let them have at it and demand something on top of that like free accessories to compensate you for the issue. But if these goofs got the whole side of the truck someone really Fed up. Could be it can all be removed with a clay bar and some chemicals and it will look great again, could be some areas are too thick and it will never look right. The dealer doesn't lose much on giving the 2-300 dollar detail job a shot. They hope it works but it is not much lost if they have to pay for a repaint anyway. You are the one who loses out as you now have to spend your own time dealing with this. And you waste even more time without the truck if it comes out looking less than perfect and they need to move onto a plan B. And your already thin paint will get even thinner and I bet when you have fading and clear coat failure 5-6 years down the line they will act like they have nothing to do with it.

This should become their headache and not yours, let them get compensation from the linex dealer and then dispose of the truck from their used lot. If they are that confident that they can give you back a truck that will look just like it did when you took it in, then no huge amount of money should be lost if they fix it up then re-sell it at a slight mark-down.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
If you paid for it through the dealer then the dealer hired the linex guy, not you...it is the dealers problem. That's how interpret this statement "I paid for the Line X bed treatment from the dealer"

Reactions: riccnick

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Seems the concensus is to have dealer buy it back for what you paid for it and get near identical truck. Dealer's problem, do not let it be yours 1-3 years down the road. If what you say is true and entire side is bad, then no way will it be ever the same. Even if it looks like new again when done, the effect say 1-4 years down the road will be there 95% probability. Black paint sucks to keep clean and the sun most likely will take it's toll on the clearcoat and paint down the road, just go back now and demand a new truck and tell them to sell the truck on their used car lot and demand a new truck. At the very least, talk to sales mgr. or president of dealer and get out of the deal entirely NOW and go somewhere else if they say anything else. Way too many dealers around to just keep going to only one. I use to go to 1 dealer all the time until they screwed me over and I kept going back to them off and on and they still don't want to deal so piss on them. Their loss, not mine. I am not loyal to any one car dealer since they all try to take as much money away from you as possible and I try to find the one who takes the least.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sorry to hear about your brand new truck :(

Who are you working with at the dealership? Is it the service writer, salesman, management??? You might try calling Toyota's customer experience center, 800-331-4331. You can open a helpdesk ticket and will be followed up by the manufacturer with the dealership. Here's a link to the web page:

Toyota Help

HTH

Reactions: ronaldjay

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yes the Line X was a part of my car deal. It was the dealers responsibility to have the work done as condition of sale. They hired the subcontractor. I have heard that if you go through Toyota corporate "things happen". Apparently the individual dealerships do not want to piss off the customer. They run on some sort of point system that apparently means a whole heck of a lot to the dealer. Getting "demerits" from corporate is not a good thing. Either way I will keep you all up to date on the outcome. The whole situation is frustrating at best. It would have been so much simpler if the Line-X shop simply would have paid attention to detail and masked the truck properly. Its unfoutunate the dealership has to pay for something thier subcontractor screwed up. I suppose that's the cost of doing big buisness.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
DEALERS PROBLEM! And definitely call Toyota and make a case file. But ultimately you should get a new truck. I actually took delivery of my truck with two scratches on the door. I had it six days, and they took it to a local body shop to get it painted, and they put me in a used hyundai sonata (not even the nice body style) that smelled like cat piss. SIX DAYS AFTER DROPPING $40,000 at their dealership. I had the truck repainted three more times after that, because they kept putting the same two scratches in the same spot every time I brought it in for an oil change. Get a new truck, and if the service dept sucks as hard as the sales dept, get a new dealer. Remember, its $40,000! It better be perfect!

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Yes the Line X was a part of my car deal. It was the dealers responsibility to have the work done as condition of sale. They hired the subcontractor. I have heard that if you go through Toyota corporate "things happen". Apparently the individual dealerships do not want to piss off the customer. They run on some sort of point system that apparently means a whole heck of a lot to the dealer. Getting "demerits" from corporate is not a good thing. Either way I will keep you all up to date on the outcome. The whole situation is frustrating at best. It would have been so much simpler if the Line-X shop simply would have paid attention to detail and masked the truck properly. Its unfoutunate the dealership has to pay for something thier subcontractor screwed up. I suppose that's the cost of doing big buisness.
don't even get me started on the point system crap with corp. mfgs. I use to fill out those surveys honestly when I worked for GM. I filled one out once and if you DO NOT put 'completely satisfied' on ALL questions instead of just 'satisfied' the dealer losses allotment on their inventory levels on lot from mfg. I did satisfied on a few questions since wasn't perfect but just satisfied and my name came up working for GM on the survey back to GM dealer and it almost got me fired - NO JOKE. I swore to never ever fill out another dealer survey ever again and have not in past 15 years since this happened. GM sucks now just like they use to back in the 90's and wish I would've got fired to be honest the way they do things. Personally, I do not feel GM or Chrysler should have gotten a bailout and let them fail all on their own. Haven't bought a GM product since 2007 and haven't looked since then either - they have left too many bad feelings for me but that is another story.

Skip the surveys since it will only hurt you in the long run if you do not lie and mark completely satisfied on all questions. It will get back to the dealer and they will ignore you even more so then.

·
Registered
501 Posts
DO NOT GET CORPORATE INVOLVED YET!!!!! Please dont, I went through the same thing and my lawyer advised me save it as a LAST resort! The dealership DOES NOT want to hear from corporate before they get a chance to make it right. Once you call the 1-800# everything is out the window because there already getting bitched at from them so they wont do anything "extra" to hide it from Mom. See what you can agree on and only if youre not happy then go further. Its a pretty big deal to the dealerships to get complaints from top-down. Luckily I never had to go that route and hopefully you dont either.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
DO NOT GET CORPORATE INVOLVED YET!!!!! Please dont, I went through the same thing and my lawyer advised me save it as a LAST resort! The dealership DOES NOT want to hear from corporate before they get a chance to make it right. Once you call the 1-800# everything is out the window because there already getting bitched at from them so they wont do anything "extra" to hide it from Mom. See what you can agree on and only if youre not happy then go further. Its a pretty big deal to the dealerships to get complaints from top-down. Luckily I never had to go that route and hopefully you dont either.
lawyers are not always right. I, ONLY after went thru dealer 3 times for same repair not fixed right, called corp. toyota and got them involved. Took 2 more times to get it fixed and replaced, but his line-x overspray is much more of an issue than what I had. Corp. toyota could bitch and talk to the dealer as much as they want since don't care if they know I called corp., toyota or not. Face it, they screwed up (or at least the subcontractor) and someone has to make it right and the more corp. toyota gets involved, maybe the better? For my troubles of 5 repair attempts and wasting 100 bucks in gas and a few days off work no pay, I got 250 bucks to use at any toyota dealer for anything at all for life until used up. Yah, I wasted easily 500 bucks in gas and no pay at work but something is better than nothing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd ask for a new truck. When you purchased the truck, you signed a contract stating that you are receiving it in a certain condition. Since they messed it up, they should be held to that agreement. I wouldn't settle for the line-x removed truck either.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I agree with Ken, if this was done through the dealer, then it is their responsibility. They can go after the bed liner people. Hopefully they have insurance, although I'm amazed at how many independent shops that work on cars do not have a garage keepers policy.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
yeah trust me corporate's not worth a crap... i've been trying to talk to them about extended warranty or compensation for my motor leaking oil at 10 months old, and they flat out told me that they don't compensate for it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I don't mean to disturb the lynch mobing. But overspray line-x can easily be removed with a remover. Id say it is easier to remove than bird poop. If it is just overspray. I would say it is nothing to get worked up about.

Light rub it with denatured alcohol and line-x becomes soft and easily comes off. I would personally do the remove myself to prevent them from f-in things up further.

I don't work for or have any association with line-x in any kind, nut I have many pieces of my truck linexed and have more experience with line-x than just the regular guy.

I understand you being upset, but I believe it is an overreaction, (however I do also feel it is justified overreaction).

Don't have them try to "buff" it out or even clay it off. The line-x becomes sandpaper to paint then. Just soft, gentle denatured alcohol and piece of cake. Really, give it a try.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I know when I had mine line x done, they wanted the tailgate left down for 24 hrs so it could cure and harden, so I imagine the longer you wait to use the de-natured alcohol the harder it would be to get off. If you had waxed the truck recently prior to the overspray I'm sure that will help in getting the overspray off.

Part of the process to apply the material is to sand or scuff the surface so the material being applied has something to grip onto, since the exterior wasn't prepped for application it should come off without affecting the underlying paint. Just be careful and don't rub very hard so that the material being removed doesn't end up acting like sandpaper, use lots of clean rags only.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Update

I don't mean to disturb the lynch mobing. But overspray line-x can easily be removed with a remover. Id say it is easier to remove than bird poop. If it is just overspray. I would say it is nothing to get worked up about.

Light rub it with denatured alcohol and line-x becomes soft and easily comes off. I would personally do the remove myself to prevent them from f-in things up further.

I don't work for or have any association with line-x in any kind, nut I have many pieces of my truck linexed and have more experience with line-x than just the regular guy.

I understand you being upset, but I believe it is an overreaction, (however I do also feel it is justified overreaction).

Don't have them try to "buff" it out or even clay it off. The line-x becomes sandpaper to paint then. Just soft, gentle denatured alcohol and piece of cake. Really, give it a try.
So I did get a call from the dealership today unsolicited. I was appreciative they proactively called to let me know to "not waste my time" to come down and pick up my ride today. The folks at Line -x made an attempt to remove the overspray with some "de-natured alchohol and another "super secret" solvent. While it did remove most of the overspray they didn't get it all nor was the dealership happy with the overall outcome. They are sending it to some specialty detail/paint shop here locally to see what they can do. It was good for the dealer to call me and admit fault for the problem. They are doing everything they can to make it right. I did let them know that being as the truck is 5 days old, if I don't get it back in the same condition I left it or better I will not be taking delivery of the truck and we will escalate to the next level. They assured me that won't be nessesary.
For good measure I drove to the dealer this evening and found my truck in the back lot. Took a look.... and guess what... still some overspray and the entire side where they used the cleaner looked hazy and in the sunlight scratched. Nothing deep or major, just scratches. Like you would have with a dirty wash mitt. I guess that means the dealers story checks out. I certainly wouldn't have taken the truck back in that condition. I'm glad they didn't waste my time. This whole process is garbage. Friggin irritating. :mad:

21 - 40 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.