Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased a brand new 2012 DC last week. I paid for the Line X bed treatment from the dealer. This morning I drop it off after I completely washed the shining black truck. Fast forward to 10 hours later. I pick up the truck and the passenger side of my once shiny black truck looks like it was in a dust storm. The drivers side.. still shines. Upon further inspection it turns out the line x company oversprayed the entire side of my truck! If you rub the back of your finger across the vehicle it feels like sandpaper. Needless to say I wasn't happy. It sounds like the dealerships is going to have the truck professionally cleaned and polished. My question to the forum is... what is fair compensation for hammering the paint on a brand new 40k truck I have had less than 5 days? What should I do? I refused to take delivery of the truck in that condition. They gave me a rental car and said it would probably be a couple of days. C'mon forum, what would you ask for or do? Advice appreciated. :eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. Keep them coming. Im pretty bummed out about this to be honest. It only makes it worse its a black truck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It sounds like they are going to try and make it go away by sending it to a "detail" shop to remove the line x with some sort of miracle solvent beacause "the line x will wipe right off the clear coat with no damage." this is the first line of defense. Ill keep you all posted. Thanks again for your stories and advice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yes the Line X was a part of my car deal. It was the dealers responsibility to have the work done as condition of sale. They hired the subcontractor. I have heard that if you go through Toyota corporate "things happen". Apparently the individual dealerships do not want to piss off the customer. They run on some sort of point system that apparently means a whole heck of a lot to the dealer. Getting "demerits" from corporate is not a good thing. Either way I will keep you all up to date on the outcome. The whole situation is frustrating at best. It would have been so much simpler if the Line-X shop simply would have paid attention to detail and masked the truck properly. Its unfoutunate the dealership has to pay for something thier subcontractor screwed up. I suppose that's the cost of doing big buisness.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Update

I don't mean to disturb the lynch mobing. But overspray line-x can easily be removed with a remover. Id say it is easier to remove than bird poop. If it is just overspray. I would say it is nothing to get worked up about.

Light rub it with denatured alcohol and line-x becomes soft and easily comes off. I would personally do the remove myself to prevent them from f-in things up further.

I don't work for or have any association with line-x in any kind, nut I have many pieces of my truck linexed and have more experience with line-x than just the regular guy.

I understand you being upset, but I believe it is an overreaction, (however I do also feel it is justified overreaction).

Don't have them try to "buff" it out or even clay it off. The line-x becomes sandpaper to paint then. Just soft, gentle denatured alcohol and piece of cake. Really, give it a try.
So I did get a call from the dealership today unsolicited. I was appreciative they proactively called to let me know to "not waste my time" to come down and pick up my ride today. The folks at Line -x made an attempt to remove the overspray with some "de-natured alchohol and another "super secret" solvent. While it did remove most of the overspray they didn't get it all nor was the dealership happy with the overall outcome. They are sending it to some specialty detail/paint shop here locally to see what they can do. It was good for the dealer to call me and admit fault for the problem. They are doing everything they can to make it right. I did let them know that being as the truck is 5 days old, if I don't get it back in the same condition I left it or better I will not be taking delivery of the truck and we will escalate to the next level. They assured me that won't be nessesary.
For good measure I drove to the dealer this evening and found my truck in the back lot. Took a look.... and guess what... still some overspray and the entire side where they used the cleaner looked hazy and in the sunlight scratched. Nothing deep or major, just scratches. Like you would have with a dirty wash mitt. I guess that means the dealers story checks out. I certainly wouldn't have taken the truck back in that condition. I'm glad they didn't waste my time. This whole process is garbage. Friggin irritating. :mad:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I agree

DO NOT GET CORPORATE INVOLVED YET!!!!! Please dont, I went through the same thing and my lawyer advised me save it as a LAST resort! The dealership DOES NOT want to hear from corporate before they get a chance to make it right. Once you call the 1-800# everything is out the window because there already getting bitched at from them so they wont do anything "extra" to hide it from Mom. See what you can agree on and only if youre not happy then go further. Its a pretty big deal to the dealerships to get complaints from top-down. Luckily I never had to go that route and hopefully you dont either.
I agree. I think this would be a last resort. When corporate gets involved all flexibility goes out the window. I understand the dealer didn't cause the problem. At this point there is no reason to make thier lives any more miserable. Dealing with me is probably bad enough...... and we just started!:lol5:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Update: The dealer has decided to send the truck to the body shop they use for all of their work. I spoke with the manager and he gave me the real story. It sounds like the line x company made things worse by trying to "clean it up' themselves. They are now going to use the method they prefer to remove the overspray, color sand, touch up paint and polish the entire truck. If it's not to my satisfaction they will explore other options (re-paint). They assure me it will be better than new after everything they intend to do. At this point the dealer is sticking to thier word and trying the best they can to make this situation "right". I'm going to keep giving them the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong. I would just like to have my rig back. It's 5 days old! Thanks for the tips and stories. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Conclusion

Well since my last post i recieved my truck back from the dealership. It was pretty goodbut i wanted one more pass by the detail shop. A week later i went to pick up the truck after that only to find MORE DAMAGE! It appeared like the detail shop drove the truck under a dangling hose. My truck is lifted so it made a small series of scratches on the roof. You can imagine my response. I was furious. They ended up having to repaint the roof to get it back to my liking. At this point i decided it was time to meet with the president of the dealership as opposed to middle management. I fully went into this meeting expecting some heated exchange. I couldnt have been more wrong. They were prepared to give me a new truck, repaint mine, let me order a new one or whayever else i thought was within reason. Aside from the obligatory repairs and having them all written into my warranty (including the paint), I ended up settling on about 10k in car payments and "extra" compensations. Given my history i will probably have this truck 2-3 years. The warranty will still be in effect beyond the life of the vehicle while in my possesion.

Even though this experiance was miserable It goes to show that despite a bad situation, it how that situation is handled in the end that really matters. The entire staff at Toyota of Puyallup couldnt have done a better job taking the hot mess by thier subcontractor, owning it and going above and beyond to take care of the customer.

Thanks to all the forum members who shared thier advice and personal stories. They all helped throughout the process. I was armed with some valuable information to bring to the bargaining table. One of the many reasons why this forum is so valuable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Easy

Glad it worked out for you.

Let me ask you this, after this experience and the way they treated you, will you purchase your next vehicle from them or go somewhere else?

Based on what I read, I would go right back to them.
Without question ill be back in 2-3 years to buy another Tundra from them. The dealership was aces to deal with. I couldnt have asked for better service bottom to top.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts