Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals. this is my first post here. I have a 08 Tundra 5.7 TRD with 230 000 km and to be honest it has treated me great. However, i have the pesky limp mode happening off and on now for about a year and lately its more often than not. So here's the deal....the code reader tells me it the secondary AIR injection pump malfunction and the dash lights that gets thrown on are the check engine, 4 low, anti skid and abs. Funny thing is, sometimes its just the check engine. So i will reset the codes with my reader and it will be fine for the remainder of the day most times, especially if its dry. On wet/damp days it will set off frequently, usually on every start up.
So what i'm trying to avoid is a costly bill where they try everything under the sun to fix it and after 2K later its fixed and a dozen different parts have been replaced. My thoughts are if its actually the pump itself defective then i shouldn't be able to reset the code successfully daily. And since its worst when wet outside, it leads me to believe its more electrical related and maybe wiring???? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
133 Posts
There are bypasses that plug into your harness on ebay for really cheap (in comparison to a fix). Never used one, maybe someone can chime in but def worth looking into. I'm thinking of getting one to keep in my truck for when that dreaded moment occurs.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
If you are in limp mode the problem is probably a "valve stuck open" failure. A bypass kit is the only fix other than replacement.
These are probably the best kits around although they are not the cheapest. http://www.hewitt-tech.com/

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I would ask a dealer about it, as there was a 10 yr warranty where Toyota would fix it for free. Mine went out after my 100k mile warranty (probably 3 years ago) and I was also worried about the fix costing thousands. They said it was for 10 years, so I would take it in to get it fixed rather than keep clearing it. From my understanding, it's basically just for first start up emissions. You can do a bypass though like others have said.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I would ask a dealer about it, as there was a 10 yr warranty where Toyota would fix it for free. Mine went out after my 100k mile warranty (probably 3 years ago) and I was also worried about the fix costing thousands. They said it was for 10 years, so I would take it in to get it fixed rather than keep clearing it. From my understanding, it's basically just for first start up emissions. You can do a bypass though like others have said.
10 years OR 150,000 miles. Seeing how the OP is counting km, I'm not sure if it applies to non-US trucks.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
That's true, wasn't sure about that. Worth a shot though if you can get it done.

·
Premium Member
10,982 Posts
You can reset the code several times, but eventually it will become a hard code and the only way to reset it is to take it to the dealer. So don't mess around, get the bypass module linked above and call it a day. You can install the module and blocking plates in less than an hour and never have to worry about it again.

BTW, you will have to create an intro thread in the new member section before you can respond.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.