Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am literally stuck on my tundra I don't know what to do. I wired a front camera a few months ago and since then I've been stuck. I used a drill bit to make a hole so I can take the wire from the engine to the cabin. (The same where the engine harness comes in from) after that I disconnected the accelerator pedal plug to wrap the wire around it, plugged it back in, wired the camera to the headunit started the truck, pressed the pedal when I was backing up and it didn't engage until I was past half way, the check engine light came on. Things I've done
Brand new Accelerator pedal (nothing)
Checked all fuses (nothing)
Showed it to someone and they're telling me I need a new ecm

Attachments

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
I would guess you damaged the harness. I have seen it many times with people trying to drill through boots.

The damaged harness can also lead to a fried ecm/ecu.

·
Registered
132 Posts
When you unplugged the harness to the peddle the 1st time did a pin break off in one side or the other?

·
Registered
139 Posts
What wire did you tap into to power the camera?

Try disconnecting it, then the battery and let it sit for a few minutes. Reconnect the battery (but not the camera) and see if that helps.

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
The grommet is a pita, you have to unwrap all the tape around the outer lips of the grommet, I believe on both sides.

There is a nipple on the bottom of the grommet that you can cut the tip off and fit at least a 4ga wire through without issues or worries of damaging the harness.

And it only takes two wires to be bare touching, or one wire to be cut to cause an issue.

It's that, or you undo the head unit you installed and see if that's the cause...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do remember a bunch of clicking noise happening as soon as I turned the drill on and the sound continued, but I think the drill was stuck at that point

·
Registered
116 Posts
You may have created a communications problem between the ECM and the pedal. The pedal wire is probably carrying a digital communications and I am guessing that the wire(s) you wrapped around it are interfering with the communications. It may also be interfering with the communications in the wire harness where it goes through the dash as well. Try removing all that wiring, resent the computer by disconnecting the battery, and see if the pedal starts working again.

Also, you should really should pull your power supply right off of the battery because if you tapped into a one of the wires under the hood, you could screw up the digital communications as well.

If it works, use temporary wiring to relocate the wire(s) away from all those harnesses and see if your camera AND the rest of the truck works. If so, run the permanent wiring for your camera so it is away from your truck harness. If it stops working again, you should be able to figure out hot it is interfering.

This stuff can be difficult to figure out. You might also go see one of your local Truck and Stuff type places that install cameras like this. They may be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You may have created a communications problem between the ECM and the pedal. The pedal wire is probably carrying a digital communications and I am guessing that the wire(s) you wrapped around it are interfering with the communications. It may also be interfering with the communications in the wire harness where it goes through the dash as well. Try removing all that wiring, resent the computer by disconnecting the battery, and see if the pedal starts working again.

Also, you should really should pull your power supply right off of the battery because if you tapped into a one of the wires under the hood, you could screw up the digital communications as well.

If it works, use temporary wiring to relocate the wire(s) away from all those harnesses and see if your camera AND the rest of the truck works. If so, run the permanent wiring for your camera so it is away from your truck harness. If it stops working again, you should be able to figure out hot it is interfering.

This stuff can be difficult to figure out. You might also go see one of your local Truck and Stuff type places that install cameras like this. They may be able to point you in the right direction.

Great tips, I'll try to do that. I grounded the camera wire on the crossmember (I think that's what its called) its near the battery. I was thinking about dropping it off to the dealership for a diagnostics only

·
Registered
116 Posts
This uses a CANbus communications protocol which is a digital signal placed on top of the wire voltage. It can be easy to interfere with that. And since your pedal starts working as you push it further, that can be an indication that it is an interference problem. Your camera may use some communications over its wires too. Getting that all separated is not always easy. I would just pull the wires to start and see if things start working again. If so, be careful to separate everything when you re-install it. Use a relay for the power supply, don't run the wires close to the truck harness, etc. , and I think things will stay working.

Also, I am not sure if the dealership will be helpful. Those guys seem to know OEM equipment but once you introduce a Non-OEM part, they tend to not know what to do. They can tell you what is going wrong, but I am not sure they will be able to help get it working. I think a shop that installs aftermarket equipment would be better to help get this going. They may not be able to do the diagnostics, but they will know how to install these so the OEM systems keep working.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This uses a CANbus communications protocol which is a digital signal placed on top of the wire voltage. It can be easy to interfere with that. And since your pedal starts working as you push it further, that can be an indication that it is an interference problem. Your camera may use some communications over its wires too. Getting that all separated is not always easy. I would just pull the wires to start and see if things start working again. If so, be careful to separate everything when you re-install it. Use a relay for the power supply, don't run the wires close to the truck harness, etc. , and I think things will stay working.

Also, I am not sure if the dealership will be helpful. Those guys seem to know OEM equipment but once you introduce a Non-OEM part, they tend to not know what to do. They can tell you what is going wrong, but I am not sure they will be able to help get it working. I think a shop that installs aftermarket equipment would be better to help get this going. They may not be able to do the diagnostics, but they will know how to install these so the OEM systems keep working.

Good luck!
Remove all wires correct? Basically undo the install?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Good luck!

I also forgot to mention that my airbag light has come on as well

·
Registered
139 Posts
An obvious question is, have you unplugged the camera power wire and tested to see if the other issues go away?

It does appear you may have interfered with the CANbus system but I don't think having any wires run together in a harness (insulated wires run together in the harness touching I mean, NOT bare wires touching each other which would cause a definite problem) would cause any issue with it at all. CANbus is not like a radio signal so "interference" is not as much of a concern as having bare wires touching. The signal is an electrical current running through the wires. Interfere with one of those wires and you get fault codes.

In simplest terms, the CANbus monitors how may amps each circuit is using and if any circuit pulls more amps than prescribed by the computer, it will shut that circuit down, which will trigger fault code messages. Having said that, the first 2 things I would check are:

1. Did you nick ANY wire in the harness, your new harness or the factory one when you routed your wire(s)? If so, they need to be re-insulated.

2. What are you using as a power source (did you splice into the factory wire to get power)?

Either can cause CANbus issues, assuming you've nicked or tapped into an item that is monitored by the CANbus system.

If no wires have been nicked that would lead me to believe that your power source would be the problem. It this case, use a relay to get power from the battery as mentioned above. Use a different power wire to tap into to trigger the relay. I'm not sure which systems are on the CANbus circuits and which aren't on our Tundras. Not all are monitored by the CANbus system on Toyota's. My experience come with BMW's where all systems are monitored by the CANbus. I've been down this road a couple of times with my BMW bike and have helped many friends redo wiring etc on their bikes due to issues just like this one. We've discovered that the tail light and low beam head light wires can be used as a trigger wire although it is still on the CANbus system. The tiny amount of power required to trigger the relay doesn't cause errors on our bikes when using those as a power source.

For an interested read (will show you how finicky and complex the CANbus is):
A little info/explanation about the BMW's CANbus (written by an electrical engineer on the YF-22 (now the F22) project.
https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-maintenance-do-yourself/3440-canbus-adventure-begins.html
By hacking the CANbus system (newly designed in 2010 by BMW and firewalled), he hacked it as described in the K1600 link above and invented the "digital dash", plugged into the GPS cradle, as seen in the video.

BACK ON TOPIC:
Don't be afraid of the CANbus system. Do be afraid of tapping into a power source that may be part of the CANbus system. ALWAYS use a relay with the trigger wire for that relay being tapped into a known non-CANbus power source.
You may want to search this forum for a suitable power wire to use as a trigger wire for a relay or contact a car audio shop near you that is familiar with Tundras and ask them what wire they would use.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts