Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Owner of a 2006 black Tundra, Limited, 4.7L, automatic, 4wd, TRD option with Limited Slip Diff (LSD). I've had other trucks, this is my my first Toyota. Great ride for 88 K miles.

Ok, here is my question (previously posted on drivetrain sub-forum but zero replies)

When taking off from a stop, turning left or right, it feels like the rear tires get a bit of a hop/chirp. Like 4wd is on. Maybe a little thump happens. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a problem? Is this normal? I just want to get ahead of a potential problem.

I verified with the local Toyota dealer that it does have the LSD and tow package. My performance car has limited slip and doesn't seem to act like this. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, after reading this forum, I plan to change the differential and transfer case fluid. Any recommendations? Use OEM fluid with LSD additive, or other?
I figure at 88 K miles, I might as well give it a good start.

Yes, I have read about the auto trans fluid and the various controversies (To change, or not to change, THAT, is the question!) so I'll hold off on that. I DO know (from a transmission professional that I trust) that if you flush every 30 K miles, that is good. If you leave it for 100K, its better to leave it alone; no "flush". So I really don't know what I'll do. I want to tow a boat. I only occasionally tow a dump trailer but that is for short distances. I'll figure it out. (sorry to stray from my original LSD question)

Thanks
Pete R

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sounds like the limited slip isnt slipping. So try changing the fluid with some slip additive. At a minimum this will serve as a good diagnosis tool. Just keep an eye our for chunks etc. in the old fluid when you drain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To close out this thread, I changed to Royal Purple ($20/qt, ouch), just shy of 4 qts used. The RP comes with limited slip additives.

It worked! no more clunk drivetrain noise when starting off with front wheels turned.

I was hoping to find black fluid and then a change would be obvious. But the old fluid looked pretty good. no real metal to speak of on the drain plug magnet either. The previous owner just not must have had the corect fluid in there.

(This may not be the correct sub-forum. I received very little advice or response. The other sub-forum I found discussed this in great detail. It was a big topic. Maybe a moderator can link this. Otherwise, consider this closed. Thanks for those who did reply.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts