Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lighted cupholder mod

Well Ive seen on some other forums this mod done, and also got annoyed by how dark the center console is at night especially with tinted windows. I Figured EL wire was perfect for the job, ive used this stuff before on my pc. I used an EL wire kit from Xoxide.com. Its 2.3mm dia.

Just a few pics showing what i did.

Drilled a hole in the back side and mocked up the wire, and pre formed it to the shape of the cup holder.

Got it all glued in place. Used just a little bit of plastic glue around the lip. Fit perfect.

Wired everything in to the 12v plug that only on with ignition and drilled a hole for the wire to run through under the cup holder.

Everything back together. Shot in daylight and you can hardly tell its on. Perfect.

Ill upload a pic or 2 tonight once its dark outside.

Let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I think its dark enough to see in the pics.

Flash on:

No flash:

It looks kinda blue on my cell phone camera, but it is actually white.

The third cup holder and storage compartment may get done tomorrow. Pics will follow.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually EL strips and wire are exactly what was used to make the TRON costumes. You can buy AA battery packs to power about 40ft of el wire for an entire day...

Reactions: thetastelingers

·
Registered
146 Posts
I like it, I would have put it in the bottom on the lip though. how does white look at night? I might have went with an orange to match the other lights. Is it inline with your driving lights or always on with the truck? how bright is it?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The white looks great to me! Its not very bright like LEDs would be. Its just a wire that illuminates. For the time being it is wired in to the cigarette lighter, so its always on with the truck, though i will be wiring it in with the headlights so its only on at night to help it last longer.

·
I Kick Hippies
1,274 Posts
looks good! thanks for the info on EL wire, never heard of it before.

·
Registered
383 Posts
My '09 Ford Fusion had the lighted cup holders just like this. I could change the colors but always left it red. It made me feel like I at "battle stations" in a submarine since I had 5% tint.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I can think of a ton of stuff to do with that wire. What's the average lifespan?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The stuff should last for years. It does eventually dim, but its hard to know just how long it will last due to quality variance from different manufacturers, kinda like cheap vs good LEDs.

Update, did the other cup holder and the little change holder as well.

Decided to tap power into where the cupholder LED is (Blue is +, Brown -). This is also controlled by the dimmer, so i can now control how bright the EL wire is, not that its very bright anyways.

Reactions: 909SCUM

·
Registered
193 Posts
This is a great mod !

I'm going to have to do this!..... Where is a good place to buy "EL" wire?.... I like the idea of tapping the small existing cup holder light so you can control the brightness with the dimmer.

Great Idea pbasil1

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are many various wire sets out there, I bought this one from Xoxide.com and got a splitter + a second strand of el wire. They have many colors and are cheap. Its designed for a computer, but i just cut all the extra wires and switch off and just direct wire it in.

Also, to be noted for those unfamiliar, el wire can simply be cut to any length. no splicing or anything needed. Just a pair of scissors.

Some pics of it all done:
Flash on

Flash off

·
Registered
214 Posts
Nice. I have lots of ideas floating around in my head now.
Thanks for sharing

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Oh boy... I've found a new addiction....

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is sweet looking. So you don't need a converter or anything ? It'll run right of the 12v system?

Send from my HTC DNA

1 - 20 of 29 Posts