Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grapplers are toast and I need new tires. I still have my stock alum wheels and I know they weight about 35lbs.... and they are boring, but nice for a sleeper.

I need new tires badly so that is certainly happening, and this time I'm going for street tires. Lighter the better. Wheels might happen, but that depends on cost and weight.

Anyone have any long term reviews of the Falken Ziex S/TZ-04 ?
They look nice, seem to have a good tread life, and the price is nice. How do they compare to the 420s ?

I wouldn't mind stepping up to 20" wheels, but that changes things like ride characteristics which, in Rhode island, is important with shit roads and potholes.

I drive very spiritedly and want grip, but not short life (not drag radials).

Thoughts?

fwiw, I run e-rated grapplers 275/65/18 now. Very heavy. well, used to be.....They are bald lol :D;) . I won't be towing much now and can always get something for that later if I need. This is strictly for fun and daily driving.

·
Registered
78 Posts

I'm running the 18" Weds Adventure wheels with Toyo Proxes ST II 285/60/18. Great combo for a street truck. Rims weigh about 20- 22.lbs, tires weigh 40.lbs, this set up is lighter than stock. Traction on these tires are great, just as good as the 305/45/22 Nitto 420s I had before.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Nitto NT420s.. I think 460 treadwear rating and grip very well. I used them for 2 summers, just don't expect them to grip worth a damn in the snow

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dammit I LOVE those wed wheels. Been drooling over them for years now. You are the only one I have seen with them. Any complaints?

I have looked at the hankooks, they look very nice. The others as well.

Good stuff. Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah, I think I'm the only one on here that has the Weds wheels. I try not to post pics because I don't want everybody else getting them, :lol5:.

They are great wheels, just wish the offset was alil lower. They're not as flashy as the 22"s I had before. But they ride alot nicer, truck picks up faster and brakes better.

If you want a light wheel and can't afford Volk's, I'll recommend these. They're just a couple pounds heavier and alot cheaper.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Im running the Cooper Zeon XST 305/40/22. Ive had them for about 6mos. The definitely grip nice (not like my bfg g force) but good. And they are really good in rain. not sure about snow.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Need a little size help here. Please correct me if I'm wrong....

Hankook Ventus ST RH06 295/45R-18

According to the Hankook site the diameter is 28.5"
45% of 295 = 132.75mm (5.23") = sidewall height ? Is this correct?

I REALLY wish WED made 20" wheels. I do not want tiny rubber bands on my wheels, but I also don't want big balloon tires either.

I need some sizing guidance. I have only purchased AT/MTs my entire life. Street tires are different.

·
Registered
228 Posts

I'm running the 18" Weds Adventure wheels with Toyo Proxes ST II 285/60/18. Great combo for a street truck. Rims weigh about 20- 22.lbs, tires weigh 40.lbs, this set up is lighter than stock. Traction on these tires are great, just as good as the 305/45/22 Nitto 420s I had before.
BHLM and that truck would be perfect

bad ass truck dude i love the single cab tundras when done correctly!!

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would love to man.

Questions:
  • Gunmetal or silver on silver?
  • They do not come with lug nuts but they are hubcentric. Do I use my stock alloy nuts, or get ET nuts?
  • Does anyone have a better tire size recommendation? There are a few. I don't want too low profile as our roads stink.

Sizes:
265/50R-20 112W XL B
275/40R-20 106W XL B
275/45R-20 109V XL B
275/55R-20 117V XL B
285/50R-20 112V VSB
295/45R-20 114V XL B

thanks

·
Registered
724 Posts
Saw this thread on the newsletter and thought I'd chime in.

For an inexpensive light weight 18 inch wheel I'd suggest the MB torque. Only 25lbs and $160pc. They have +10mm offset, which pushes them out a little further for a more aggressive look IMO. They come in black or silver/polished. Find MB Wheels Torque custom wheels by size

Those wheels with 235/60/18 Michelin lattitudes up front and 305/45/18 Nitto NT555R in the rear dropped 90lbs of un-sprung mass, compared to my 22's. I have a thread detailing my quest for a lighter drag/street setup and originally tried 17's. http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...-unsprung-weight-reduction-rotating-mass.html

The truck was noticeably quicker with this setup, but I had an issue hitting the rev limiter hard in every gear when WOT. So I sold the wheels a few months ago. I believe now that my home made 4'' intake may have been the cause of this problem.

So now I am supercharged with the stock TRD flash, which I am told alters the shift points. I decided to mount the 305/45/18 555r on my stock 18x8 and test them out to see if the truck would shift properly and it did. Last week I ordered another set of the MB Torque's and mounted the tires on them. I got called to work, so next week I will be mounting all 4 up and looking forward to increased performance and traction. :) Even with the 555r mounted on the heavy stock steel 18's, it pulled noticeably quicker, either because the equivalent of a 4.8 rear end gear due to the shorter tires or the fact that I had 100% traction.

I know you don't want to run a drag radial, but the Nittos should last at least 10k miles if you don't burn out all over the place. Other option is the regular 555r or the Hankooks MPTOY is running. He pulled a 1.8 60ft on those street tires with his SC'D RCSB.

Pics of my old setup, which will now be my new setup again. lol

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the reply man. Trust me, I followed your frustration and even contemplated buying your wheels/tires when you sold them.

I have come to the conclusion that I want 20" wheels with a lower (not too low) profile. Hopefully that will help fill the wheel wells a bit more.

Your nittos had a sidewall heights of 137.25mm or 5.402 inches which is about perfect. I just want a larger out diameter. The 295/45R-20 Hankook has a 132.75mm or 5.23" sidewall and is 30.5" in diamter . Pretty close

1 - 20 of 33 Posts