Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately I've been reading numerous idiotic posts about guys financing there lift kits into there truck purchase due to the fact that they don't want to void there warranty ...

This blows my mind that some people assume that this would be legal/possible so I figured id post a link for y'all to read..

After-market Accessories Do Not Effect New Vehicle Warranties » Tundra Headquarters Blog | Tundra Headquarters Blog

This link is about the Magnusson Moss act of 1975 stating that the dealer ship must prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure otherwise they must still warrant the part...

The only parts I could possibly see being justifiable are possibly wheel bearing for guys who run crazy offsets and possibly the differential for guys running 37"+ and even then it would have to be proven and if you challenge them it would most likely just get covered anyhow ...

Anyhow I hope this helped some of y'all and now you all go buy lift kits ???

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe a lot of that is because of lack of knowledge .... I've had a dealer tell me that they had to replace an intercooler pipe on my turbo diesel vw because it was leaking oil... Now yes some blow by and residual oil could build up there but he told me its a pipe which pressurized oil runs ...

Bottom line is if you have a bit of knowledge you might not get screwed ... And by No means would I let a lift kit deny me of warranty items when they sell lifted trucks...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would say its the exact opposite the dealer doesn't have to prove anything. Your the one with the modded truck so I say you have to prove to them that your lift didn't cause the problem. Lifting changes driveline angles and all of the suspension geometry so if a lift alters any part of the truck and it goes bad I don't think you have much to stand on. Also more than likely if a lift is installed its to run bigger tires and everybody know bigger tires are harder on the front end. That's just my opinion I've been thru it already with a dealer.

Also it's hard to argue with those certified mechanics (if thats what u call it) some of these places employee.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
I believe a lot of that is because of lack of knowledge .... I've had a dealer tell me that they had to replace an intercooler pipe on my turbo diesel vw because it was leaking oil... Now yes some blow by and residual oil could build up there but he told me its a pipe which pressurized oil runs ...

Bottom line is if you have a bit of knowledge you might not get screwed ... And by No means would I let a lift kit deny me of warranty items when they sell lifted trucks...

I had a Dealer tell me that the only way to change transmission fluid on a 100K mile Corolla was to physically pull the transmission out of the car and turn it up on it's end.

·
Registered
219 Posts
per Toyota, any modifications that doesn't involve using oem Toyota parts will void warranties, BUT.... and I stress BUT .. if you have a good rep with your dealer and service department.. they will be blind in favor of you when it comes to seeing the lift you just put on. Toyota has no legal rights to fix anything that has been non factory modded. Toyota will not cover anything that Rocky Ridge does when they install their 6" lifts on new trucks, rocky ridge will cover any problems with a pay check out of their own pocket for amount of warranty coverage they offer.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
It all depends on the dealer. You can if and want this all to death and it doesn't change the fact that you modified a vehicle. Now, if you have your truck's lift/tires/wheels installed at the dealer it would be covered under the vehicle's warranty as it was a "dealer installed part". You go do all this in your cousin's friend's yard at 2pm on a Saturday afternoon you will most likely get a no your xxx repair is not covered answer and I don't blame the dealer at that point because who knows what your cousin's friend and you did to that install or any other part for that matter.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
You need to read the Magnusson Moss Act and legal interpretations. I have consulted an attorney on this one while applying for lemon law remedy on a Chevrolet pickup. I am not an attorney, but there are two items of interest:

Full and limited warranties: Read your owner's manual. You have a limited warranty, which means the manufacturer can put conditions on your vehicle's warranty as long as they are in writing. Non-OEM part arguments apply to replacement parts designed to function under the OEM specifications. A lift or leveling kit does not meet this requirement. Dealers who sell lifted/leveled trucks either installed though a third party or in the service department are on the hook for repairs NOT the manufacturer. Here is an excerpt from the 2014 Tundra warranty:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED
This warranty does not cover damage or failures resulting directly or indirectly from
any of the following:
• Fire, accidents or theft
• Abuse or negligence
• Misuse — for example, racing or overloading
• Improper repairs
• Alteration or tampering, including installation of non-Genuine Toyota Accessories
• Lack of or improper maintenance, including use of fluids other than those specified in the Owner’s Manual
• Installation of non-Genuine Toyota Parts
• Airborne chemicals, tree sap, road debris (including stone chips), rail dust, salt, hail, floods, wind storms, lightning and other environmental conditions
• Water contamination

In most cases, the dealer does one of several things:
1. I installed and sold the lift so I will warranty it. I will submit a claim to Toyota and not say anything about the lift and get reimbursed unless the factory rep wants to take a look.
2. I sent the truck out to a third party for installation. The third party warranty applies and I will facilitate getting the repairs accomplished for the customer.
3. You installed the lift. I will not warranty nor will Toyota for related issues (proven or unproven). You lose on this deal because it does not meet OEM requirements.
4. You installed the lift. I apply conditions in 1 above.

Another fact about your new vehicle warranty is:

Limitations
The performance of necessary repairs and adjustments is the exclusive remedy under these warranties or any implied warranties. Toyota does not authorize any person to create for it any other obligation or liability in connection with this vehicle.

A non-OEM installed lift/leveling kit is on the dealer not Toyota. Toyota does not authorize any person to create for it any other obligation or liability in connection with this vehicle.

By the way: My leveling kit was sold in the parts department and installed in the service department. I expect the dealer to warranty my leveling kit. I paid more than I should have for the leveling kit, but I will not have to worry about coverage.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
I have read through this thread and I am confused.

1. Are we talking about Toyota Warrantying parts they did not put on a vehicle?
2. Toyota Claiming that because of the modification , it altered the factory design and therefore any factory parts that failed were caused by non factory parts?

Magnuson Moss basically says that a manufacturer can't force you to use Toyota Oil ,filters, belts and other items that meet factory specs and then claim that the reason your engine failed was because you didn't use a Toyota Oil filter when you used a fram filter that meets or exceeds the specification of a Toyota filter.

If you put a six inch lift that screws the geometry of the suspension all to hell and a wheel bearing or an axle fails, of course they are going to deny warranty.

If you use Mobil 1 oil that meets or exceeds factory specifications and you spin a rod bearing because of lack of lubrication, they can't deny your warranty because you used Mobil 1 oil.
I used Toyota but it goes for any manufacturer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have read through this thread and I am confused.

1. Are we talking about Toyota Warrantying parts they did not put on a vehicle?

No, the point of this is to let people know that oem parts that are not impacted by your modification are still going to be covered under your warranty :

Example: you install a 6" lift and a month later your ECU fails... It will still be covered.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You guys crack me up. We live in a legal system where you can break into someone's home then sue them and win because you injured yourself. Keep telling yourself all the laws will back you up and make everything ok. Here is a fact Toyota has more lawyers than you and if they don't want to cover something then you won't win. Plain and simple.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
" numerous idiotic posts "

Wow. Really?

There are some fellas on this forum who's wisdom far surpasses that of my own and you as well. Many of these guys have had true, real life experiences with denied coverage of warranty work due to modifications. Your blanket statement is laughably far from real life. I apologize for my crassness but damn dude. :disappointed:

Sometimes wisdom is greater than knowledge. And we all know money is far greater yet. Toyota has more money than you. Peace of mind for many a man is priceless.

Pump the brakes dude, these guys are here to help and share experience, not be called idiots by a newb without wisdom or respect.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here is a fact Toyota has more lawyers than you and if they don't want to cover something then you won't win. Plain and simple.

Speaking from experience with sueing a vehicle manufacturer, taking on their attorneys, and dealing with the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, you are mistaken.

The fact is, economics is key. If it is cheaper to pay you or your claim off than take your case through the court system, your claim will be paid, period. Keep in mind, patience is key because time is on their side.

In my case, I filed a suit with BMW North America on my new motorcycle (had 6 water pumps in 4 months, and still leaking). Obviously this is not an aftermarket part and is not relevant to the original post; however, it is completely relevant to who has more money or more attorneys as dlowry81 says. Instead of letting it drag out in a long court battle, BMW realized it was cheaper to settle than pay in the long run.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Congrats on your success and I mean that, but I think you will find yourself in the minority. Tons of guys on here have threatened and gone thru the legal system only to get rejected in the end on warranty work. My coworker had a mustang overheat and crack a block due to blown head gasket. Reason he didn't pull over was temp gage was faulty. He sued and had tons of proof of faulty gage as reason for not stopping car soon enough. Bottom line he lost big time to ford and he was easily in the right.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks dlowry81. Did your buddy go all the way to court in front of a jury and let the jury decide the outcome? From your explanation, that he "had tons of proof". Tons of proof would certainly gained the sympathy from a jury. A a sympathetic jury would surely have awarded him damages. Perhaps his "tons of proof" was just his word against their "professional witness". He would had to have offered "proof" that could be substantiated by an expert (say an ASE Ford certified Master Mechanic) to rebut their expert's claim(s).

The tons of proof I had was hard copies of all visits to BMW to attempt to repair my bike, hard copies of all correspondence with BMW-NA, and a final confirmation (hard copy) of the last leak plus 22 other cases of the same problems that at the time were unresolved on the same exact model of bike. Supposedly BMW has a new pump and the issue is fixed. I'll find out soon.

·
Premium Member
4,846 Posts
" numerous idiotic posts "

Wow. Really?

There are some fellas on this forum who's wisdom far surpasses that of my own and you as well. Many of these guys have had true, real life experiences with denied coverage of warranty work due to modifications. Your blanket statement is laughably far from real life. I apologize for my crassness but damn dude. :disappointed:

Sometimes wisdom is greater than knowledge. And we all know money is far greater yet. Toyota has more money than you. Peace of mind for many a man is priceless.

Pump the brakes dude, these guys are here to help and share experience, not be called idiots by a newb without wisdom or respect.
great post, couldn't agree more.:)

with the amount of time I have been on these boards (tundrasolutions since 2000 etc), there are way more idiotic posts than that:lol5:

·
Registered
60 Posts
The first thing I did was go talk to the service re manager and asked about the lift and i was told that the lift would cause any part that is attached to the lift parts not to be covered. So if the radiator goes out its covered

1 - 20 of 22 Posts