Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's come time to do the suspension on my 05 Double Cab 4WD. I've already got a set of 2001-2004 stock steel wheels. Refinished in silver and very pretty :D. Call me odd I like Steelies. Ordered a set 285/75-16Yokohama Geolandar ATs to wrap them in. I've been doing allot of reading to work the lift and level out. I'd like to be able to not rub, in tight turns at least without cutting the bumper cover, I'm OK with grinding the split seam. I'd like to avoid wheel spacers too.

The stock steel wheels are 16 x 7 with a +15mm off set and 4.5", that makes it pretty tight, correct? Would a 2.5" front 1" rear lift give me enough clearance or do I go 3" front and 1.5" rear? If I go with the 3" I'll need the 930 boots and a diff drop to keep from wrecking the CVs if what I've been reading. That sound about right.

For the 2.5" lift I'm looking at the Toyotec's old man Emu kit: OME lift kit for 00-06 Tundra. For the 3" guess I'd go with the Ultimate lift kit with Bilstein shocks: Ultimate lift kit with Bilstein shocks for Tundra

Love to hear from anyone that has used either or if the is a better way I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's gonna be tight. I got the Bilstein 5100s which lifted the front 2.75" I think (plus 1.25" blocks in back, and the diff drop) and with the stock wheel/tire combo it just barely cleared the UCAs on the inside top of the tire since the lift causes the arms to pivot/splay outward. I then went to 285/70-17s (just slightly smaller than 285/75-16) on aftermarket wheels which were -12 offset, so that pushed the center plane of the wheels far enough outboard to accommodate the wider tires with another 1/2" or so to clear the UCAs ~ except then I did end up with some slight rubbing on the inside of the fender wells at full turn.

I've since replaced the 285/70-17s with 275/65-18, only slightly smaller but no more rubbing (and gained back about 1mpg too).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. So I'll have to live with some rub or spaces. I've been running 265/75 Dyna Pro AT-m's for the last 50,000 miles, they just don't fill the fenders enough even with a lift. I've moved to where it doesn't snow and am on pavement more nowadays so I want to go with an AT. It would be so much easier if there 255/85/16 ATs were still available.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Would a 2.5" front 1" rear lift give me enough clearance or do I go 3" front and 1.5" rear?
Do you care if you rub when you hit a bump? If you do, then the lift doesn't buy you clearance. You have to trim as though there was no lift. You need about a 6"+ drop bracket lift before that isn't the case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I care... 6+ lift is allot. I guess I'm rethinking it. I can swap the tires out no problem. I guess it's 2.5" Front 1" rear lift with either the Cooper STs in 255/85-16 and take the factory mud flaps off or Geolandars in 265/75-16

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If you like big tires I'd suggest searching for what others have done on the 1st gens. It probably isn't that big of a deal to make clearance. I don't think the body mount chop is that big of a deal either. I'd never cut metal before and it was kinda fun; sparks flying everywhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.