Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to TT i have a 2007 limited toyota tundra crewmax 4x2 and I have always wanted to have a beast of a truck!! Im trying to decide on what kind of lift to get and whats a good size. I know its not a 4x4 so i cant do as much off road as i would like but i still would love to have that beastly appearance. Any suggestions? I have been looking at different videos online and 6" lift kits look nice and i saw a 10" that was just a monster but i know that the higher i go the bigger the tires the lower the MPG. I gave up on MPG really when i purchased the truck in the first place since I knew it wouldnt be anything like a car.

·
Registered
701 Posts
For a 4x2 I'd look into CST Spindles, UCA's and OME coil overs to set you 6-8" in the front depending on which OME's you get. For the rear a set of Coachbuilder's shackles and either new springs or a block.

Lifting a 4x2 there are much better options than the box kits that us 4x4 guys have to go with. The biggest advantage to the setup I mentioned is that you wouldn't have to have the drop bracket in the front that comes with box kits.

As for tire size vs MPG I was stunned. I went from a 34.5x11" Trail Grappler to a 37x14" Terra Grappler (7" lift since it was new). My MPG is actually marginally better now than before. The M/T tires effected my MPG worse than larger diameter A/T. I am consistently averaging 13+ MPG now. My last tank was 13.93. I was rarely breaking 13 mpg before. Just food for thought. In sure some wouldn't believe those number but I have ever mile and every gallon recorded front this truck. I wouldn't believe it otherwise.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I have been looking at videos and reading a lot in forums and checking out different websites. I was just looking into buying a whole 6 inch lift kit. Although i know with the kit comes buying wheels and tires which for me is going to be a whole different challenge in its own. (Im not really good with vehicle terms and tire size and wheel size and stuff) I try to do as much research as i can since i am not as knowledgeable as others and I dont want to go somewhere to get this installed or buy some products and get screwed.

I am thinking i am going to have to go through my dealership though so it doesnt void my warrenty. Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Everyone on here is willing to help you figure out lift, tires, wheels and even what prices are great, fair, or bad.

Your said your truck is 2007 right?... How much warranty do you have? I see no benefit to a dealer install. The warranty will be effected the same either way. In fact most dealers shop lift installs out to other local shops and mark up their cost on it.

On a warranty note the warranty is more effected by the individual dealer than a lift. Some will still cover any part that has not been altered. Others will say your warranty is void because its lifted. Legally to decline warranty they have to be able to prove on court that the lift directly caused premature failure. Results and interpretation will vary from dealer to dealer.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

·
Registered
701 Posts
It's a ProComp Stage II kit. It's known to be a good kit.

Arguably better off to go with a ProComp Stage I and upgrade to Stage II with King or Fox Coilovers instead of the Icon ones that ProComp uses- if you are on the market for a Stage II lift and want the upgraded suspension components. Icon is supposed to be good too, just not as good.

BDS has a Stage II kit that comes with Fox Coilovers. I believe it's a comparable price to the ProComp kit you listed.

·
Registered
232 Posts
For a 4x2 I'd look into CST Spindles, UCA's and OME coil overs to set you 6-8" in the front depending on which OME's you get. For the rear a set of Coachbuilder's shackles and either new springs or a block.

Lifting a 4x2 there are much better options than the box kits that us 4x4 guys have to go with. The biggest advantage to the setup I mentioned is that you wouldn't have to have the drop bracket in the front that comes with box kits.

As for tire size vs MPG I was stunned. I went from a 34.5x11" Trail Grappler to a 37x14" Terra Grappler (7" lift since it was new). My MPG is actually marginally better now than before. The M/T tires effected my MPG worse than larger diameter A/T. I am consistently averaging 13+ MPG now. My last tank was 13.93. I was rarely breaking 13 mpg before. Just food for thought. In sure some wouldn't believe those number but I have ever mile and every gallon recorded front this truck. I wouldn't believe it otherwise.

i guess when you consider friction, the knobby tires would hurt you more than an AT. however, i would think the increased weight would far outweight the extra knobs of the mud terrains...very interesting

one thing to think of (not that it matters) is that unless you corrected your speedometer, you are getting better MPG than your gauge tells you since you are actually traveling further per wheel/tire revolution than your truck thinks you are...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome thanks!! Im on a deployment right now and wont be returning to the states till mid to end november so i will continue to do research until i return for the exact right kit and stuff I will need. That way I can get it taken care of as soon as i get back.

Thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I hate to hijack the thread but I have to reply to this. I am too happy with my MPG to not share the info.

i guess when you consider friction, the knobby tires would hurt you more than an AT. however, i would think the increased weight would far outweight the extra knobs of the mud terrains...very interesting

one thing to think of (not that it matters) is that unless you corrected your speedometer, you are getting better MPG than your gauge tells you since you are actually traveling further per wheel/tire revolution than your truck thinks you are...
Trail Grappler 295/70r18 (34.57x11.73) is 10 ply and weights 82 lb.

Terra Grappler 355/65r18 (36.69x14.02) is 8 ply and weights 87 lb.

Probably due to dropping from 10 ply to 8 ply the weight only goes up 5 lb. honestly it rides and drives smoother, handles better and gets better mpg. I did lose power but I still have plenty.

I have the Hypertech calibrator and calibrated it with my gps for the old tires and new. My mpg is calculated by an App- miles, gallons, date, and $$/gal are input. The App then totals fuel $$ and I compare that to what the pump says to make sure everything was entered correct. I commute 112 mile round trip to my office so mpg is still important to me with a lifted truck.

The 13.93 I mentioned was traveling mostly I-77 and US-460 here in the mountains of WV @ 70-73 mph. I expect I could probably get over 15+ mpg on flat, open highway. I have noticed that for whatever reason it actually holds 6th gear better at cruising speed on the few flat sections of ground (possibly the reduced rolling resistance from the A/T). This puts my RPMs down to around 1600 @ 70 mph. When I get on a hill it does dig to a lower gear than before. I am still amazed at how well it is pulling them and that the huge tires are getting better mileage.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I hate to hijack the thread but I have to reply to this. I am too happy with my MPG to not share the info.

Trail Grappler 295/70r18 (34.57x11.73) is 10 ply and weights 82 lb.

Terra Grappler 355/65r18 (36.69x14.02) is 8 ply and weights 87 lb.

Probably due to dropping from 10 ply to 8 ply the weight only goes up 5 lb. honestly it rides and drives smoother, handles better and gets better mpg. I did lose power but I still have plenty.

I have the Hypertech calibrator and calibrated it with my gps for the old tires and new. My mpg is calculated by an App- miles, gallons, date, and $$/gal are input. The App then totals fuel $$ and I compare that to what the pump says to make sure everything was entered correct. I commute 112 mile round trip to my office so mpg is still important to me with a lifted truck.

The 13.93 I mentioned was traveling mostly I-77 and US-460 here in the mountains of WV @ 70-73 mph. I expect I could probably get over 15+ mpg on flat, open highway. I have noticed that for whatever reason it actually holds 6th gear better at cruising speed on the few flat sections of ground (possibly the reduced rolling resistance from the A/T). This puts my RPMs down to around 1600 @ 70 mph. When I get on a hill it does dig to a lower gear than before. I am still amazed at how well it is pulling them and that the huge tires are getting better mileage.

Nice. I'm shocked its only 5 pounds per tire. Good news though

I have the 34.5x11 terra grapplers and usually get around 15 to 15.3 in the summer and 14 to 14.5 winter according to my incorrected factory gauge. That is probably 90% interstate (55 mile round trip to work)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
6inch lift and 35's. I wanted to go with 37's but there is no way that would have happened without rubbing ALOT unless you go to an expensive lift BDS 7inch lift is the smallest lift you can get 37's under. Stick with 35's toyo MT look tough and last forever... buuuuut. Are super heavy. If you don't care about the environment like myself and you have the money for fuel then screw it. I like Nitto but they usually wear out after about 30k. Toyos will do 50k... toss up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts