Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 Tundra Crewmax with a 7" BDS suspension lift and 20" rims with 12.50x35 tires. I have had the truck for about 7 months now and within the last month I have been getting the vsc off light flashing along with the car skidding light on the dash intermittently. Took to the dealer to see what was causing this problem and found the truck to be giving code C1231. The first step is to reset the computer and then see if the code returns. If the code returns the vsc module will need to be replaced per the dealer. Well the problem returned and they are telling me I need a vsc control module which will cost about $3000. I bought this truck from a Toyota dealer with the lift and tires installed by them and it has also been certified through toyota. Long story short warranty company won't cover the vsc module because they said the lift and tires are causing it. My question is to anyone that has a lifted crewmax and oversized tires/rims have you ever had this problem? I want some proof from other tundra owners that this is not caused by the lift and tires, but that the warranty company is just trying to get out of replacing the module. Any information would be greatly appreciated in getting this issue resolved. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't really see how your lift would cause the VSC control module to go bad. It is possible that it could fail on it's own. I'm pretty sure the code c1231 is for a bad steering angle sensor, so I don't know why the dealer would tell you the VSC control module is defective. The lift could be making the steering angle sensor receive bad data, hence the light coming on. If anything, you might have to replace the steering angle sensor. Also, the warranty company would have to prove that the lift caused this. I would ask them for proof for why the lift caused the steering angle sensor to go bad. I'm pretty sure there is a law that protects consumers from shit like this. It basically states that if you install an aftermarket part on you vehicle, they cannot deny your claim without proof that the aftermarket part caused the failure.

If it were me, I would take it to another dealer. There is really no reason for them to notify the warranty company of the lift. It seems like they just want to get more money from you. Typically when the dealer files a warranty claim, they do not get paid as much as there normal shop labor rate and they can't milk you for extra money. Plus they only get paid wholesale prices for the parts installed. By them rejecting the warranty, the dealer can probably make 40 or 50 percent more. The dealer is supposed to help you out, not try to get one over on you.

If all else fails, I would take it back to the original dealer. If the dealer sold you a certified used vehicle with a warranty, then it falls on them. Assuming that the truck is exactly the same way you bought it.

Hope this helps. Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,713 Posts
I have a 07 Tundra Crewmax with a 7" BDS suspension lift and 20" rims with 12.50x35 tires. I have had the truck for about 7 months now and within the last month I have been getting the vsc off light flashing along with the car skidding light on the dash intermittently. Took to the dealer to see what was causing this problem and found the truck to be giving code C1231. The first step is to reset the computer and then see if the code returns. If the code returns the vsc module will need to be replaced per the dealer. Well the problem returned and they are telling me I need a vsc control module which will cost about $3000. I bought this truck from a Toyota dealer with the lift and tires installed by them and it has also been certified through toyota. Long story short warranty company won't cover the vsc module because they said the lift and tires are causing it. My question is to anyone that has a lifted crewmax and oversized tires/rims have you ever had this problem? I want some proof from other tundra owners that this is not caused by the lift and tires, but that the warranty company is just trying to get out of replacing the module. Any information would be greatly appreciated in getting this issue resolved. Thanks!
Reading this makes me want to meet the person or persons you have talked to and understand whats not clicking in their head. Not only does having your parts installed by the dealership and then certified by Toyota mean they are responsible for anything and everything going on in this issue. But to think some how its your responsibility to cover $0.01 because of the tire and or lift they have installed is ridiculous.

The issue you're having isn't because of the lift and tires. its because of a failed part on the vehicle.The module needs to be replaced, they have figured this much out.. If it were me and only me.. I would read through your warranty info, print it off and highlight the area where it says certified by toyota along with all parts aftermarket or not installed by them a certified installer of toyota. Take the paper work into the dealership and talk to the new guy you talked to along with the manager in the same office. close the door and ask them if they have figured out if they are going to replace the module or replace the vehicle. Tell them you have gone over your warranty info and because of the warranty and the parts that are warranted you feel relieved to know this will be taken care of.. then ask if its something you'll need to drop your truck off for and have a loaner vehicle or if its something they can do fast while you wait. allowing them to charge you one penny is not an option and let them know this. If they give you any lip tell them they will be the proud owner of your truck. :)

You are a customer of there's and have done you part.. they need to do there's. Best of luck to you!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info you have all posted. The dealer I purchased the truck from and the dealer I have been taking it to are two different places. I purchased the truck in Florida and live in the Atlanta, GA area. I don't want to give out the dealerships names yet because they seem to both be trying to help, its the warranty company denying the claim. Per the dealership in Atlanta anything over $2k the warranty company sends a rep out to verify the part is bad. Well as soon as they saw the truck was lifted and the tires they denied the claim stating the lift and tires are causing this code.
I have read how the vsc system on most of the lifted tundra's is more sensitive and that it will activate on turns, but mine is turning itself off. Thats why I was wondering if anyone else with lifts vsc system turns off(vsc off flashing and vehicle skid light on, w/ no other lights) I have no pattern of when it does this. Sometimes its while I'm driving, and sometimes sitting at a light.
I will keep you posted on any updates. Anyone that has had code C1231 on their tundra please let me know what fixed it so I may also suggest it to the dealers and warranty company

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well after over a month of phone calls and emails Fidelity warranty has finally agreed to replace my Tundra's skid control module. The dealership is installing it as I write this post. Hopefully this fixes the vsc from turning itself off. Apparently after telling fidelity numerous times that I purchased my Tundra with the lift and tires/wheel installed someone listened and told me once the dealership I purchased it from contacted them verifying this they would cover the claim. So if anyone in the future purchases a vehicle with oversized wheels/tires or a lift and it comes with an aftermarket warranty be sure it shows this on the buyers order at the time of purchase!! Thanks to everyone that replied.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Hopefully it all works out, I have a gut feeling your Yaw sensor will fail again though due to lift and tires. It activates with excessive body roll or body movement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts