Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attempted to install my 2" front leveling kit this morning but was unable to loosen the cams/bolts on lower control arm from the ackward position under my truck lying on my back. I tried hammering my wrench but no luck. I considered buying an air ratchet but I doubt my Porter Cable pancake compressor would get it done. Anyone have recommendation on what to use to loosen?

Are there any other tricky steps to be aware of or lessons learned when installing the leveling kit on front end?

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Leverage, try using a longer rachet, or find some type of pipe to stick into the ratchet where u can do it standing up.. Had the same problem on my buddies tacoma, found a 3-4 ft pipe, stuck it in the ratchet handle and it worked

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I just installed my my lro leveling kit and haven't had an alignment yet. I noticed when facing the front of my truck that my tires now sit like this \ /. Will a normal alignment fix this? Is the camber on tundras adjustable? Thanx

·
Registered
143 Posts
So I just installed my my lro leveling kit and haven't had an alignment yet. I noticed when facing the front of my truck that my tires now sit like this \ /. Will a normal alignment fix this? Is the camber on tundras adjustable? Thanx

Yes, the alignment will fix it and the camber is adjustable. My LF tire was waaaay out of whack on the way to get it aligned. It drove awful and felt like the front tires were going to fall off at any minute.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just wanted to share because I'm an idiot and it took me a while to figure out how to loosen the LCA bolts. Actually snapped my torque wrench on first go around. :)

To loosen LCA bolts:

For the front part of the LCA (Closest to front of vehicle), loosen bolt head that is on outside (or closest to front of vehicle). For back part of LCA (closest to cab) loosen the inner nut, not the outer bolt head facing rear of vehicle.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Leverage, try using a longer rachet, or find some type of pipe to stick into the ratchet where u can do it standing up.. Had the same problem on my buddies tacoma, found a 3-4 ft pipe, stuck it in the ratchet handle and it worked

When in doubt, use the handle for your floor jack as leverage, you can get anything off with that.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts

Yeah, I'd take it to a reputable alignment shop before it chews your tires up.

Mine were like that right after I put my leveling kit on, but I only drove it 5 miles after straight to the alignment shop

·
Premium Member
11,751 Posts
Some say to drive around for a week before your get aligned. This lets the suspension settle into it's new geometry.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Yeah, I'd take it to a reputable alignment shop before it chews your tires up.

Mine were like that right after I put my leveling kit on, but I only drove it 5 miles after straight to the alignment shop
Sorry bro but a reputable alignment shop are all shops that go by factory specs. Some times that will work, most times it wouldn't. Go to a shop that is willing to listen to what you want and read the post by southcal about specs. I installed a top spacer kit and didn't the cam bolts at all.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Sorry bro but a reputable alignment shop are all shops that go by factory specs. Some times that will work, most times it wouldn't. Go to a shop that is willing to listen to what you want and read the post by southcal about specs. I installed a top spacer kit and didn't the cam bolts at all.
Let me specify....I actually went to an alignment shop armed with alignment specs I got from a member (I forget his name) and told them I wanted them within his guided parameters and wanted the print out of the alignment sheet of before and after....

·
Registered
16 Posts
I finally got my alignment yesterday and put the new wheels and tires on. Came out almost perfect, the alignment specs that LRO sent wit the leveling kit worked really well, they want camber at 0 but my truck would only go to 0.1 so hopefully it's good enough. It looks alot better ne way.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NTB did mine last week and all was within factory specs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts