Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks like somebody had some debris (rock) in their polishing pad. I can't totally tell from the photos, but I think you are right and the scratches go into the base coat. If you try to sand or polish it out, you may end up all the way through into the primer. Since the truck is new I would take it back to the dealer and see if they can make it right.
Ahh- that makes sense. I will take it to the dealer at least for a "teaching moment" and I will not let them touch the truck. I suppose even if they offered to repaint the hood, I'd risk them half-as-ing it.

Eazy - do you have all the stuff in to do it right? Machine and everything? The dealer isn't going to pay to repaint the truck, best case they'll do is have their detailer come and try to level it out. I bet he messes it up and does it half assed because I agree with ^davidson^, looks like a contaminated polishing pad was used. So probably won't ever go away, if you take it back to the dealer you risk the same idiot who did it the first time making it worse when they try to fix it. Thats just IMO though.
I have a good washing set-up, including clay and lube, and I bought a Griot's 6" Random Orbital polishing machine (I didn't notice that most people are talking about dual-action machines- ought I send this one back and upgrade?). I have orange and white pads in the mail along with Meguiar's 105 and 205. I haven't decided on a finish yet, but I'm leaning toward a good sealer. I have a beat up Vanagon that I figured I'd practice on. I could also hire a professional to just smooth out the scratches and let me do the rest?

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Ahh- that makes sense. I will take it to the dealer at least for a "teaching moment" and I will not let them touch the truck. I suppose even if they offered to repaint the hood, I'd risk them half-as-ing it.

I have a good washing set-up, including clay and lube, and I bought a Griot's 6" Random Orbital polishing machine (I didn't notice that most people are talking about dual-action machines- ought I send this one back and upgrade?). I have orange and white pads in the mail along with Meguiar's 105 and 205. I haven't decided on a finish yet, but I'm leaning toward a good sealer. I have a beat up Vanagon that I figured I'd practice on. I could also hire a professional to just smooth out the scratches and let me do the rest?

Thanks for the feedback!
Yea, most people recommend dual-action instead of RO. I personally have the Porter Cable machine and it works pretty nicely. I figure I'll eventually upgrade to flex, but plan on using the PC for a nice little while still. It's about 3 years old and I've done some great stuff with it! I'm not too familiar with the Griots 6" RO, but I do know I read to get a dual action when I was getting into it.

Sounds like you are definitely on your way to taking care of the truck! If only you weren't given this set-back, you'd be in great shape. I would recommend not doing it yourself if wet sanding is needed - too high of a risk and experience is key.

The thing is, if it's into the base coat (color), there's not much even a professional detailer can do. I guess there is the touch up until the scratches are filled, then wet sand down, compound, polish. But that's pretty high level, your average "detailer" isn't going to do it...or at least probably not do it well (to me).

I do have pretty high standards though...spent 4 full days fully correcting an ISF until I was happy with it (read as: perfect lol). So yea, it's hard to say. You can always take it to a higher end detailer and see what they think they can do for it and get you a quote. The dealer should foot that bill though, IMO. If all they will offer is their "detailer", I'd be sure to meet with him/her before you drop the truck off to have it fixed to see what he/she thinks they can do for it and if it's doing more harm than good (i.e., high risk of burning paint, etc). I'd probably go that route if that's all they want to do for you. After you talk with the dealer's detailer, then you can decide if you want to have them do it or if you want to take it elsewhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yea, most people recommend dual-action instead of RO. I personally have the Porter Cable machine and it works pretty nicely. I figure I'll eventually upgrade to flex, but plan on using the PC for a nice little while still. It's about 3 years old and I've done some great stuff with it! I'm not too familiar with the Griots 6" RO, but I do know I read to get a dual action when I was getting into it.

Sounds like you are definitely on your way to taking care of the truck! If only you weren't given this set-back, you'd be in great shape. I would recommend not doing it yourself if wet sanding is needed - too high of a risk and experience is key.

The thing is, if it's into the base coat (color), there's not much even a professional detailer can do. I guess there is the touch up until the scratches are filled, then wet sand down, compound, polish. But that's pretty high level, your average "detailer" isn't going to do it...or at least probably not do it well (to me).

I do have pretty high standards though...spent 4 full days fully correcting an ISF until I was happy with it (read as: perfect lol). So yea, it's hard to say. You can always take it to a higher end detailer and see what they think they can do for it and get you a quote. The dealer should foot that bill though, IMO. If all they will offer is their "detailer", I'd be sure to meet with him/her before you drop the truck off to have it fixed to see what he/she thinks they can do for it and if it's doing more harm than good (i.e., high risk of burning paint, etc). I'd probably go that route if that's all they want to do for you. After you talk with the dealer's detailer, then you can decide if you want to have them do it or if you want to take it elsewhere.
Okay, I'm red in the face.

I took the truck to my local paint shop and the owner came out, looked, ran back in for some "general purpose cleaner" and proceeded to wipe my "scratches" away!!

He said it was probably a petroleum substance that got on during shipping.

Phew!

Thanks for the help,

Ian

·
Registered
593 Posts
We should be happy we get water spots/swirl marks.
Look at what car wash did to this new truck:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
My local drive thru wash has a sign telling you to remove antennas. They'll actually do it for you. That guy with the F150 should've known better

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Okay, I'm red in the face.

I took the truck to my local paint shop and the owner came out, looked, ran back in for some "general purpose cleaner" and proceeded to wipe my "scratches" away!!

He said it was probably a petroleum substance that got on during shipping.

Phew!

Thanks for the help,

Ian
Ah! I bet it was left over residue from the white plastic they put on panels. On some vehicles, I've had to go around the whole thing getting left over bits of "goo" adhesive off from it. Weird yours is squiggly, but I'd bet thats what it was.

Don't you feel better about it now!!! Enjoy the new truck man!

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is one the reasons I buy lightly used vehicles only. All those little scratches, dings, swirl marks, or whatever that seem to mysteriously appear in the first year are already there, and I never have to worry about when I'm going to get the first one. I still take good care of my trucks, but my sanity is vastly improved as well!

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is one the reasons I buy lightly used vehicles only. All those little scratches, dings, swirl marks, or whatever that seem to mysteriously appear in the first year are already there, and I never have to worry about when I'm going to get the first one. I still take good care of my trucks, but my sanity is vastly improved as well!
Try finding a slightly used Tundra .....

·
Registered
401 Posts
Try finding a slightly used Tundra .....
It isn't extremely hard. I found a 2014 with 17k miles at the end of July 2016 and was excited about that. Since then I have seen a few with 5-15k miles. But the more picky you are on packages and such the harder it gets. And you must be willing to drive a few hours depending on your area.

I never get a "free wash" anywhere. Even when buying a new or used vehicle I opt out of the "free full detail" for purchase. I had one new truck they did and it had so much tire shine that it sat an hour and a half finishing paper work. Then I drove home 2 hours, and the whole side of the truck had tire shine slung all over it. Up to the windows it was so bad. Not to mention scratches and swirls they add from the brush that is used one who knows how many cars per day with out being cleaned. And later on the ground in sure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey guys-

I am the proud new owner of a 2017 SR5 TRD Barcelona red 4x4. We bought it 9 days ago, and after reading all of the great washing and detailing info on this site, I ordered stuff to do it right.

It was raining on and off the day we made the purchase. I don't think they washed the truck that day, but it had been on a few lots, so I'm sure it had been washed multiple times. The sun hasn't been out yet, so I haven't seen the swirling that I'm sure is there.

The day we brought it home, or maybe the next, I shouted at my boy to stop trying to rub out what looked like an accumulation of dirt on the hood. (As if semi-dirty water had dried as it sat on the more vertical part of the outer fore-to-aft curves on the hood). I left those marks (he didn't do any damage) on all week until I had my shampoo and microfiber cleaning materials. After doing a real good wash and dry, I got out my clay bar and started right at those marks (I had realized that there was a matching pair on the same spot on the other side of the hood). To my dismay, they didn't dissapear. It was dark out and I was finishing up under weak carport lighting.

Today, I went to look at them and realize that they are actually scratches. Looks like a polisher with a bare nut on the bottom (is that a thing?) was used to hit the curves and run along a 10-14" line.

The scratches are rough and very shallow, but may have penetrated the gloss coat. They are still red, whereas there is a chip inside the wheel well that is white (primer, I assume).

Looking for advice here- do I:
a) take it to the dealer and try to get them to do something about it
b) try to polish it out (I am a novice with respect to polishing/sanding, etc.)
c) suck it up- this truck will be scratched, dinged, and damaged by me, my kids, ignorant fools in parking lots, etc..

Thanks for any feedback. Sorry if this isn't the place for this post.

Ian
I have noticed a few little scratches here or there on my truck. This is a really awesome tutorial on how to remove most clear coat scratches. He probably has a video on paint scratches too but i haven't watched it yet!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts