Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have 560-ish miles and just received my first paint chip. GRRR. I have read that the paint chips/scratches easily but that doesnt make it any more fun to get. its up on the A pillar next to the windshield, not big and not very noticable... my question is what are you all doing in regards to chips? in the past some have done dealer touch up paint, some do clear nail polish, etc... i wondered if there was a new way to deal with them since it appears i may be getting a lot of these going forward. also, any thoughts on the clear bra stuff?

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,497 Posts
Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
If it really bothers you, touch it up. Just be careful, as you can make it look worse by touching it up if you don't know what you are doing.

If it doesn't really bother you, just seal it up either with a dab of clear nail polish, or wax the heck out of that spot with a sealer wax.

My chips on my 2010 never started rusting. But I sealed them.

I found a few on my 17.

Just sealed them for now.

DR color chip is supposed to work great, but never tried it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it really bothers you, touch it up. Just be careful, as you can make it look worse by touching it up if you don't know what you are doing.

If it doesn't really bother you, just seal it up either with a dab of clear nail polish, or wax the heck out of that spot with a sealer wax.

My chips on my 2010 never started rusting. But I sealed them.

I found a few on my 17.

Just sealed them for now.

DR color chip is supposed to work great, but never tried it.
yeah, i'd like to touch it up but didnt know how much success people have had doing that....i'll probably give it a try though.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Get touch up pen from stealership, it has both paint and clear, but I only ever use the paint.
I usually do a quick rock chip walk around the truck in the fall before winter season.

Reactions: jmansouri

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
i'll check into the pen thank you.
any reason you dont use the clear?
I'm just lazy. I just carefully fill in the spots and haven't found any rust on any of the areas I've touched up.
I had a couple spots where my LTD grill was chaffing the hood and started to rust.
I just shaved the plastic grille with a razor blade, sanded the tiny rust areas on the grille and used the touch up pen and haven't found any returning rust since.

I was also finding sand grains between the grille and the hood from winter roads and was chipping the paint there, so I applied that clear 3m strip and seems to have helped.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.