Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 07 Tundra...when I turn left I get a metal on metal scraping sound........its not the brake indicator.....the flimsy metal shield around the rotor is not touching...........the metal clasp around the rubber boot cover seems round...............any ideas...........been going on for over a year....a brake change did nothing.........

·
Registered
738 Posts
How fast were you going? Was it a banked turn? It may have been the ABS auto LSD kicking in. Several people have voiced this concern.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have the same problem, squeak/grind noise... it's sounds like it's coming from the left front rotor backing plate, but I've tried to push it away from the rotor as much as possible and I still get the noise.

It never did it before my lift either...

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Noticed this after tire rotation, only on turns and a clank and not all the time. Backing plate or dust plate could be issue I am guessing.

My 07 Tundra...when I turn left I get a metal on metal scraping sound........its not the brake indicator.....the flimsy metal shield around the rotor is not touching...........the metal clasp around the rubber boot cover seems round...............any ideas...........been going on for over a year....a brake change did nothing.........

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
May need more push or tire off and see if you can find where if any contact is made.
I have 5100 but that sound was noticed after rotation and only on left turns and occasion right when going 8-10 mph. A very slow turn will not do it.

I have the same problem, squeak/grind noise... it's sounds like it's coming from the left front rotor backing plate, but I've tried to push it away from the rotor as much as possible and I still get the noise.

It never did it before my lift either...

·
Registered
134 Posts
May need more push or tire off and see if you can find where if any contact is made.
I have 5100 but that sound was noticed after rotation and only on left turns and occasion right when going 8-10 mph. A very slow turn will not do it.
Theirs another thread on here where guys having the same problem, a lot of them found out it was the REAR rotors backing plates making the noise, not the front!

I got under my truck the other day and pulled both rear rotor backing plates away from the rotors as much as I could. So far so good, no noise!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just brought my 2010 in for the same problem. Rubbing/scraping from passenger rear when making right hand turns.

The verdict from Toyota...
"Rear rotors have rust build up and contacting brake shoe and backing plate - $166.00 to machine rear rotors"

The tech said that rust forms on the outer edge of the rotor and starts to make contact. Usually starts around 60k miles (i have 45k).

I passed on the service - I'll wait till the pads need replacing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts