Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting on some steps for my 2013 CrewMax Rock Warrior and was wondering if anyone has put some LED lighting over them to light the steps at night? I am going to be wiring them in with the dome light circuit so that they can be on when the doors are open or the Dome light is cut on.

Any advice as to the PROs/CONs? Any Idea where the circuit for the dome light is located?

All opinions will be taken, good, bad, or funny. Just looking to see what everyone thinks.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Like this???

Get a roll of LED lights from Ebay or Amazon.com for about $12. It's a 16ft roll I beleive. Pull up your driver side door sill protector (I used the driver side rear) to reveal your wiring. Look for the thinnest brown wire there is (this is the one for your cargo lights and door lights). Now pull up on the white plastic piece that incases the wires to reveal an access hole.

Now look on the underside of your truck just below the steps and you'll see alot of rubber grommets. Choose the one closest to the hole underneath the plastic piece that the wires go through. This will be where you run your wires to the underside.

Now either unplug your battery or turn off the "cargo light switch" then tap into that little brown wire and add a fusible link (5amp). Next run this (hot wire) through the access hole and then fish it down to the hole where the rubber grommet that you removed was.

Put a hole through the center of the rubber grommet and run the power wire through it then through the hole. Now put your rubber grommet back into the hole.

Mount the LED lights (remove the backing for the 3M tape) on the frame of the truck about even with the steps or just above it. I used about 7 feet on each side. Connect your ground wire and then your power wire and your done.

It'll be easier to connect both power wires and ground wire for both set of LED strips together.

Turn back on your "cargo light" switch by placing it in the "door" position then press the unlock buton on your remote and start smiling.

Tried to keep it as simple as possible but it ended up reall wordy. You can also search on here for other posts with How to's.

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
Tridacna, they do the way I have them wired. I didn't inlcude all of that thinking he had some idea of how it works. Mine come on anytime I press the unlock button or if I open the doors.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
371 Posts
Easiest way as Tridacna said. I ran a constant hot from the fuse box under the dashboard via add a circuit ($7 at pepboys) and tapped the ground from the footwell light next to the hood release. My only regret is the color of the "cool white" LED's which make it look ghetto ish. I need to replace them with either warm white or pure white :rolleyes:

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/...48DE435-2459-0000031EA67C8A0A_zps9f5c0c60.mp4

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/...FE38B14-2459-0000031F2A0A00C9_zpsc7e50c7e.mp4

·
Registered
353 Posts
That's great 65aircooled. I did mine the way I mentioned so that I could also turn them on at anytime with the cargo switch for however long I need them depending on the task at hand. They are tied into my bed lights as well and look awesome at night while unloading items from the bed.

Reactions: BamaMan44

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a set of street glow side led markers. It's about a 4' line of LEDs that glows amber when your running lights are on, but when you open a door it goes white. It's not on my tundra but I had them on my dodge. Looked good at night

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for info! My steps came in yesterday and if the weather holds I am installing them tonight.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
353 Posts
Please let us know how they turned out with pics.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Hi, I just installed the Recon version amber running lights with white courtesy feature. Can you share with me wiring where you hooked this up. Which switch and the color of the wire for the positive side, lock and unlock way
thanks

Like this???

Get a roll of LED lights from Ebay or Amazon.com for about $12. It's a 16ft roll I beleive. Pull up your driver side door sill protector (I used the driver side rear) to reveal your wiring. Look for the thinnest brown wire there is (this is the one for your cargo lights and door lights). Now pull up on the white plastic piece that incases the wires to reveal an access hole.

Now look on the underside of your truck just below the steps and you'll see alot of rubber grommets. Choose the one closest to the hole underneath the plastic piece that the wires go through. This will be where you run your wires to the underside.

Now either unplug your battery or turn off the "cargo light switch" then tap into that little brown wire and add a fusible link (5amp). Next run this (hot wire) through the access hole and then fish it down to the hole where the rubber grommet that you removed was.

Put a hole through the center of the rubber grommet and run the power wire through it then through the hole. Now put your rubber grommet back into the hole.

Mount the LED lights (remove the backing for the 3M tape) on the frame of the truck about even with the steps or just above it. I used about 7 feet on each side. Connect your ground wire and then your power wire and your done.

It'll be easier to connect both power wires and ground wire for both set of LED strips together.

Turn back on your "cargo light" switch by placing it in the "door" position then press the unlock buton on your remote and start smiling.

Tried to keep it as simple as possible but it ended up reall wordy. You can also search on here for other posts with How to's.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Look in your message. I have that info included in your reply. If you need additional help let me know.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Yes. I re read it and noticed you mentioned the little brown wires. Sorry to bother you.
Thanks again

·
Registered
353 Posts
No bot her at all. We're all here to help so just let me know if you need anything else. When I installed mine, I read posts several times to make sure I was doing it right and not damage the wiring of my truck.

I see that you have a 2008, if so, the color of the wire may be different but I think it's the same color.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
It was the same color wire only on the drivers side, nothing on the passenger side.. I had to run a separate wire to the other side to feed power to the other led light. Works great.. Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Like this???

Thanks so much for this write up. I installed mine today and it worked like a charm. :D

Reactions: TAMUTUNDRA

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is that brown wire really thin, like 22 gauge or so? Also I have not seen any grommets under the truck yet, I sure hope they are there. I have a 2014 and just ordered the lights tonight.

·
Registered
353 Posts
On my 2012 the brown wire was very thin. Your 2014 may have a completely different color but If you look in the 2014 forum, there was a guy who did his and I think he explained exactly how he did it.

The grommets are on the underside of where the door sills are. Look under your truck and you should see them. You'll have to get under there and then look back towards where your step bars would be. They should be right there. I don't think Toyota did away with them.

Let me know if you still can't find them.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Forgot to mention!!!! While you all are in the process of doing this mod, you may as well go ahead and get some bed lights and install them at the same time. Just tie them into the same wiring. It comes in handy to have all this extra lighting when you pull up to the Hotel entrance to unload your luggage while everyone (especially little kids) admire your work or if you're up high in the mountains at a cabin where it's nice and dark.

My daughter and I went to Buffalo Wild wings one night to watch a boxing match and she needed to get her jacket. She went out, hit the unlock button and a guy asks "hey did that truck come with those lights". lol

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Forgot to mention!!!! While you all are in the process of doing this mod, you may as well go ahead and get some bed lights and install them at the same time. Just tie them into the same wiring. It comes in handy to have all this extra lighting when you pull up to the Hotel entrance to unload your luggage while everyone (especially little kids) admire your work or if you're up high in the mountains at a cabin where it's nice and dark.

My daughter and I went to Buffalo Wild wings one night to watch a boxing match and she needed to get her jacket. She went out, hit the unlock button and a guy asks "hey did that truck come with those lights". lol
That's exactly what I did. I installed some bed lights a few years ago and had it wired to a switch, but I wanted to use the cargo switch instead. I was just too lazy to figure it out, lol. Now that I was installing the side step and new bed lights, I figured I might as well do it the way I wanted...thanks to you!

·
Registered
223 Posts
how would you go about wiring the left and right step lights together? or the bed lights for that matter?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts