Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in West TN, deer population is a hazard. Current lights in my 2015 CM are pitiful as far as peripheral viewing is concerned. Is there a easy replacement of fog lights that would assist in seeing them before they jump in front of my truck?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I did this!

Far right was 4 spot lights several years ago this year I went with one LED light bar from Autofeel (large spot center) added another 42" curved from Mictuning and then two 4" spots.
Center pic is all lit up.

All on a N-fab light bar - all easily removed for state inspection or trade in.

$250

Attachments

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
lol at the diode dynamics website for the fog lamps. so it shows the lamps as $40.... then when you click on them to add them to your cart they dont go in unless you select the lamp type, of which, there is only one $80 add on option. nice one.

edit:
oh i see.... that only applies to 4000, 5000k and yellow....but you can get the blue ones for $40 haha

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you want to see deer on the side of the road, some WIDE beam fog lights, not spot or flood, like have been posted would be your best bet. Morimoto type t are pretty good and there are generic version of them that perform the same. I use BMW x5 fog lights in my truck that give almost a full 180* view but they do not have great throw or intensity, still, i do a lot of driving on rural roads and they have certainly saved me from hitting deer countless times. Paired with a quality hid projector retrofit you will be able to see everything and not get in trouble with police like you may with light bars and pods.

Reactions: B737

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yeah if you're considering a retrofit as well as the fogs then you will definitely be able to see all the deer. Good luck.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I bought a new 2017 CM a few months ago and found the lighting to be pitiful (my 2009 CM had HIDs). I was very concerned about hitting deer on my trips through northern Utah and Idaho. Here's what I installed to solve the problem. The entire setup was about $500.

LED Headlight Bulbs - not as good as HID but still a significant improvement over stock and easy to install. They fit in the stock headlight housing.
https://www.auxbeam.com/headlight-bulbs/88621849?mfp=vehicle%5B49%2C922%2C945%2C2016%5D

Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport Driving/Combo Amber LED - These lights are amazing and they really shine in adverse weather conditions. Make sure you get the "-R" version. The standard lights are square. The "-R" is round to fit in the round fog light holes.
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/squadron-r-sport-pair-driving-combo-amber.asp

Baja Designs 2014-2017 Tundra Fog Pocket Kit - Contains brackets and plug-n-play wiring harnesses to use stock fog light location and wiring.
https://www.amazon.com/Baja-Designs-447110-Squadron-Specific/dp/B01MYV47AT

36 Inch LED Light Bar with 5D Projector Lens - Mounted behind the grill. This thing is stupid bright.
https://www.auxbeam.com/70019594

Unfortunately, I don't have any night pictures of the setup; but, here's a couple daytime pics. Even without the LED light bar turned on, the headlights and fogs are very bright. With all of the lights on, it turns night into day.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
thank you for posting the links. was there any cutting / hacking to get the H4s to fit ( i see the fan on them)?
There is no cutting required. But, it was a tight fit with the rubber dust/rain boot on the back of the light. You just have to push the bulb in real hard until it is in far enough to turn so the tabs lock in.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I suppose I should elaborate a bit on my last post. My recollection is you can turn the fan counter clockwise to detach it from the bulb. Assuming you already have the dust cover off the light and the old bulb removed, you put the new LED bulb in and put the retaining clip back in place. Then you put the rubber dust boot back on. After that, you re-attach the fan to the bulb through the wiring hole in the dust cover. that last part is what I was referring to. The connection between the LED bulb and the fan is very snug to begin with and when you add in having to compress the dust cover to marry the bulb back up with the fan, it can be a bit of a pain in the butt, but, it does go back together without any modifications.

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
I had to slit my boots when I did the led headlight swap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.