Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I'm original owner of a 2001 limited 4.7 tundra. I think I have a leaky manifold, tapping sound goes away after the truck engine warms up as it accelerates. I know it isn't the exhaust pipes,, sounds closer to the engine manifold.. I am not sure if it is expensive to replace them at the dealer.. they said two years ago that they replaced a lower manifold gasket but it still sounds the same. I'm afraid they might tell me it is going to cost another 700.00 dollars to fix the same problem. Should I ask them why they didn't fix the tapping sound I thought they had fixed for so much money,or do I take it to another garage to find out if I was ripped off? tia:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
exhaust leak

I also have an 01 with the same sort of exhaust leak. Last year I paid $1000 to have both manifold gaskets replaced. The shop ended up doing it twice because I could hear an exhaust leak when went to pick the truck up. He admitted to not checking the manifolds just replacing gaskets. The second time in he sent the manifolds out to be machined and it sounded better for a month or so. Now its back and slowly getting worse. I was wondering if it was something emissions related cause I only hear it during light execration. I going to replace the ring gasket on the other side of the manifold this week end. Hope it does something.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, my truck I bought brand new, it has 150k and was happy to have the Dealer replace the cross member under recall, at that time, I had asked them to give me an estimate to fix what I suspected as a manifold leak,, they said they replaced both lower gaskets,,set me back 700.00 with a Y pipe.. I heard it still afterwards but didn't complain soon enough,.. yesterday they said it was (cracked manifolds) and an estimated 2400.00 I do not care to dump that kind of money.. it heats up and that sound goes away on the highway so,, i guess I can deal with it for now. thanks for the heads up and good luck too!

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
this is common on the earlier 1gens. The welds were waaaaaay too hot and you can actually see where the welds almost dripped before they cooled. This causes a lot of heat affect zone or haz. This haz is the weakest part of the weld and begins to crack. As the crack forms the metal expands when it gets hot and pushes the crack open bigger.

Long tube pacesetters are only $450 coated:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes somewhere I read about the 1st generation tundras having issues with leaky manifolds.. Just wish the Dealer shop head guy explained it at the time and fixed the issue. As for having the work done now, I guess I can wait till the leak(cracks) get too load or whatever to have to get it fixed. The tapping sound decreases as the manifold warms up, so it isn't a critical situation (i guess?) Anyway thanks for sharing.. not sure what you are referring to for 450.00 remedy. Do you have a link showing what you mean? I researched on youtube the gaskets are metal on the tundra.. definitely too much work for me to try replacing, John

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i see what you mean now, hey man, thanks for sharing,, I will shop around and likely follow your advice.. first going to try getting estimates from local shops. gl too with your tundra, john

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also have an 01 with the same sort of exhaust leak. Last year I paid $1000 to have both manifold gaskets replaced. The shop ended up doing it twice because I could hear an exhaust leak when went to pick the truck up. He admitted to not checking the manifolds just replacing gaskets. The second time in he sent the manifolds out to be machined and it sounded better for a month or so. Now its back and slowly getting worse. I was wondering if it was something emissions related cause I only hear it during light execration. I going to replace the ring gasket on the other side of the manifold this week end. Hope it does something.
I heard similar stories about secondary parts and with new manifolds leaking with no warranty of service.. I may have to try having some local shop do it. But think I want to wait and see how bad it gets,, the knocking sound isn't so bad where it annoys me to have it done yet. lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2002 tundra had the same issue. My brother removed the manifold on the driver's side and and I clearly saw holes through the flashlight. We rented a welder from home depot for $40, welded it, put it back and no more noise the next morning. Gas mileage, idle, and power increase noticeable improved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts