Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new here but not new to Toyotas. I currently drive a Cummins powered Ram but am looking to maybe move back to a half ton. Would probably consider a late model (within the last 5 years) Tundra with a 5.7. I'm wanting to know for those that have 200,000+ miles on the clock what you've had to do for repairs and maintenance beyond the usual oil changes and such? How many miles are on your truck? How many miles were on it when you bought it? What did it cost you to do these repairs. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome to TT and congrats on future Tundra !

Check the official cam tower leak thread . .. pretty much explains most the issues with these trucks.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Welcome to the site, enjoy the ride.
You may consider reading the Million Mile Tundra story, What Is a Million-Mile Toyota Tundra Worth? - Toyota USA Newsroom
After driving Toyota trucks for 30 years and my current Tundra for 10 years and 148,000 miles I decided to push the limits and added a Magnussen Supercharger 550 hp & 550 lb/tq I also gained a minimum of 5 miles per gallon more. This set up also changed the tune of the motor it is no longer typical Toyota lethargic mapping. It is responsive, down shifts appropriately, this one up grade totally transforms the sluggish poor mileage Tundra in to a joy to drive and adds 100 mile range increase to the small fuel tank. I also added Borla exhaust, ARB air lockers front and rear and a set of Bulstein 5100 struts, shocks as I decided to keep my truck instead of buying a new truck this year as I had planned.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have had 5 Tundras and ran them all to 100-130K. Current is a 2015 CM 5.7L. I have never done a repair to any of them except an ABS brake sensor wire replacement on my 07 DC. I plan to run my current Tundra until either the engine or transmission goes out, so it looks like I am going to have this one awhile!

·
Registered
788 Posts
I came from Cummins Rams , from rust buckets to a fairly nice 05 .
Diesels are FUN but EXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN ,but also i am convinced the dodge truck itself is some sort of a shipping crate for an excellent cummins engine .
Still have one shiat box 94 second gen 12 valve mod truck just to bomb around in .

Still Luv my 2018 TRD. 100% Turn key , have not been back to the dealership . No probls.42k miles , 17 MPG driven correctly . OEM rotors n brakes still.
Only mod so far is i installed SumoSprings in the rear so i could temporarily haul my firewood without fear of ruining the factory leaf springs . Still have 98% of the factory ride , SumoSprings do not touch anything until you have a load.
PS. I am probl behind on 2 computer updates for the crash / camera system . My Bad just being honest.
IF you jump to the TRD you will be surprised at the free time , not working on your truck.

just my 2 cents coming from the diesel world.
24hrsparkey

·
Registered
13 Posts
200k on my trouble free T1N Sprinter and still get near 30 mpg no matter what I do too!

Every Toyota that I have owned has been remarkable forreliability and that includes 4 Previas too one of the weirdest Toys around!
My 01Tundra has 150k and zero real issues and the one before that was the same.

Only 45k on the 2015 so we shall see i guess?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2010 Tundra (SR5, 5.7L, ext cab) has 210,000+ miles. Bought it new, very few issues but this is what's been done other than regular maintenance.
replaced battery 1x
EGR issue at about 7 yrs old. and 130k+ mile. Toyota covered under voluntary warranty extension, $0 to me. Apparently a known issue with some EGR valves.
Replaced starter at 9 yrs, ~195k mi.
replaced a worn rear bearing, ~ 200k mi.
Really not very much considering the mileage and age. My truck also sees a lot of ocean beach, sand, salt miles.
Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts