Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many people are running larger tires on a Tundra with the 4.6L? I bought a set of RW wheels and plan to put Michelin M&S2 285/70R17 on them. These tires are less than an inch taller that stock so i want to know how much the 4.6L power will be affected.

· Registered
112 Posts
you shouldnt feel any different in power until u go 33" or higher. im running 35s, hardly feel any different.

· Registered
482 Posts
I'm running DuraTracs 275/70/18 (33.4") and I can tell the difference when climbing hills on the freeway. The truck downshifts more. I usually drive 65 mph on freeways and my mileage went from 19.5 mpg down to 17.5 mpg after putting on the DuraTracs.

Since your tires are about 32.7", and they have all-terrian tread, I think you'll be just fine. That's the perfect size for going taller, but not impacting power and MPG too much.

· Registered
149 Posts
I am planning on larger tires on my 4.6 after I get the lift parts in. Only going up 3", so I can't go too much bigger on the tires. I would like to get up to 34" if feasible. I'll have to keep an eye on this thread.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

· Registered
73 Posts
I'm running 305/60r18 nitto terra grapps with a 3/1 lift and notice any difference

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
G

·
I have 275/70/18 GoodYear Duratracs on my 07 4.7 Double cab. I dropped a little MPG but havent really felt like they bogged the truck down at all. And I have pushed right to the "limits" towing wise when I was stock and honestly I still had plenty of motor left...

· Registered
7,532 Posts
I've raced a 2013 Tundra in my 2013 Tundra. The owner of the other truck actually called me out:lol5: This was at Qualcomm Stadium race legal. We were both bone stock at the time, except that he had slightly larger tires:lol5: I spanked him by a few tenths a few times and he stopped racing me:lol5: Both of us were 5.7L and like I said, his tires weren't that much bigger.

that said, a few tenths on the street are barely noticeable. You just don't want to go so big that your transmission is constantly hunting or gears while cruising.

· Registered
7,532 Posts
I ran my truck at the track with SC and stock tires- 13.2 1/4 mile.
I ran my truck at the track with SC and 35" Terra grapplers - 14.1 1/4 mile. :(
a full second is totally noticeable on the street and 35's are much bigger than stock. my buddy Julio has a supercharger and 35's, with stock gears he could barely get the tires to 'screech' but now that he has 4.88's he can burn the tires til he lets off the throttle:lol5:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.