Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was hoping someone could help me as I am not too knowledgeable in this area. I was looking to have my OME coilovers (already assembled), diff drop, lightracing uca's, OME rear shocks, and coach's +3 shackles with cb drop put on this weekend as well as have my new tires/wheels (already mounted and balanced) put on and aligned. When I called a place locally they told me it would probably be around 8 hours of labor. This sounds like a little much to me. What do y'all think? Any help is appreciated

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
Actually does not sound too unreasonable to me, I would figure 7-8 hours of labor. You can do all of that stuff yourself though too (I did all of that in one day except for the UCA's) for free.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean I've never done anything like this before. It seems like kind of a large task to take on without any prior knowledge

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never did it before either, and I'm a mechanical idiot. If you have jack stands, a jack, and a good ratchet set, it can be done. 8 hours labor would be what, $800+ bucks? Give yourself a free $800 lesson on your truck, and get to know it :D
They were trying to charge $110 an hour so like $1000. Where did you find instructions on how to do it all (don't need like exact links just a general idea so I know where to search)??

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually does not sound too unreasonable to me, I would figure 7-8 hours of labor. You can do all of that stuff yourself though too (I did all of that in one day except for the UCA's) for free.
I know I just asked baddad this too but am open to all help. Where did you get instructions from?

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TT, youtube, google, etc. I believe coachbuilder has a video on how to install his stuff on the 1st page of his thread where he sells his shackles. The CB bracket is self explanatory, as well as the rear shocks.

The front end, you can do some googling, watch some videos, etc, and you'll get an idea of what needs to get done.

Plenty of guys in here to help you out too, if you get hung up.

I was a chicken shit at first, and I had paid 2 different people to install 2 different leveling kits, then my front spindle. After my last experience at an "offroad shop", I said screw it and I'll learn to do it myself. That "offroad shop" said they couldn't install my UCA's and the in-coil spacer that I wanted installed :rolleyes: So I did the shit myself. Just spend a few days reading and watching videos, and it kindof just happened naturally. Of course it may seem overwhelming at first, but once you get under there and start unscrewing and unbolting stuff, you'll get it.
Thank you!! I think I may try to give it a whirl then. I can't do it until after the 26th so I have some time to try and decide if it's doable. I really think I may just give it a try though especially after finding out it would be a grand to have someone else do it. If I do decide to do it mind if I pm you if I get stuck haha?

· Registered
352 Posts
I was told three hours of labor for assembled coilovers/shocks all around and an alignment locally. I can't imagine UCAs and shackles would add that much more time...

· Registered
340 Posts
Shackles will be the hardest, mine were rusted in place after only 29k
The rest easy. Nothing a hammer didn't fix with the shackles.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everyone around here is saying about 8 hours. I think they are sour because I chose to buy the parts on my own. I did find 2010's write up. It seems like a really good breakdown. Heck I learned how to give one of my buddy stitches online I'm sure I can get through this haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Bad Dad's Camrys

· Registered
454 Posts
8hr is not bad for all ur getting done. But what ur talking about doing really is not too bad. The rear shackles will be a bitch. Not that it hard the bolts just froze easy, pb blaster pre soak and a big hammer. Make sure to get torque on blots as close as u can. ie 10-20 ft lb tight. 20-50 real tight 50+ crake on it hahaha. Take ur struts out then do upper control arms then struts on then diff drop. Just my 2 cent. Oh and a Ratchet strap make putting the new coil over in a good bit easer if u are having a hard time getting the bolt hole to line up. And if u have a friend that kind of knows his way around that stuff a 12 pack goes a long way! Hahahah

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Premium Member
3,708 Posts

My phone is always on if you need help. You've got allot of guys with real world experience and a great way to get the same :) You can do it!

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
Here is how I see it. I have done the coils three times now and honestly could pretty much do it in my sleep (I was pretty drunk the second time :lol5:) at this point, getting the dang truck up on stands and taking the wheels off and putting them back on seems to take longer than anything else, however, when I tackled it the first time, by myself, it took me quite a bit of time. Much of that time was just not knowing what to do and being afraid of breaking something so I would say, unless you have someone helping you who has done this before, plan on four hours just for the coils to be safe.

As for the shackles, I dont live in the rust belt so I really did not have any major issues with them, they went on pretty quick and the only delays I had were because I was too damn lazy to take the tires off the truck so I was using a pry bar on the springs.

I have not done the UCA's yet, hopefully that will be this weekend, however, I watched an install video and it looks pretty straight forward as long as the dang bolt cooperates and you can get it out easily in the very limited space available.

If you decide to tackle this stuff shoot me a PM and I will give you my phone number, I am more than happy to help out as I can. I called Coach several times during my install when I got to being a chicken sh*t and was afraid I would break something. BadDad also gave me his number for help but I gave him a free pass.

Dont be afraid of any of it and dont feel like you need to do it all at once and end up rushing stuff and messing up. Worst case, do it over a couple of days if needed. Oh, and I am a desk jockey software engineer so this was all pretty new to me too.

· Registered
746 Posts
8 hours for a shop to install all that? I installed my coilovers, UCA's, rear shocks by myself in 7 hours and that was with my learning curve. I went over everything 3 times to make sure everything was done correctly. The other day I change out my +2 coachbuilder shackles for his +3" ones and got that knocked out in 30 min. If I can do it, you can too.

I can only think of positives things by doing it yourself. You get the feeling of accomplishment, save a gang of money, and get to buy more tools that you can use in the future

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Coach: Thank you for reposting the video. I have your number from my previous order I will be sure to keep it.

2010: Thank you. I will be sure to PM you before I start.

Baddad: Thank you for the "nudge" :lol5:

Other than a basic ratchet set, floor jack, jack stands, and pry bar (I have all of these) is there anything I need or would be helpful? I know Toytec suggest pb blaster.. anything else? I have a few weeks before I will be able to do this so I'd rather get them little by little over that time rather than all at once. Thank again guys!

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
Coach: Thank you for reposting the video. I have your number from my previous order I will be sure to keep it.

2010: Thank you. I will be sure to PM you before I start.

Baddad: Thank you for the "nudge" :lol5:

Other than a basic ratchet set, floor jack, jack stands, and pry bar (I have all of these) is there anything I need or would be helpful? I know Toytec suggest pb blaster.. anything else? I have a few weeks before I will be able to do this so I'd rather get them little by little over that time rather than all at once. Thank again guys!
Make sure your "basic" ratchet set includes both a 22mm and 24mm socket, most people do not have those sizes so you will have to purchase/borrow then if you don't have them. Some of the bolts will be beyond tight, use the handle for your floor jack as leverage on a quality ratchet and they will come right off though. Also, unless you have some serious jack stands you will probably need some quality wood to put under your jack stands in order to the the truck off the ground high enough.

Oh, and have some red locktite as well and put some on the lower control arm bolts and the upper strut bolts.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha I thought beer was essential :beerchug:

So will using the loctite and hand tightening everything be good enough to have everything secured properly?

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
Haha I thought beer was essential :beerchug:

So will using the loctite and hand tightening everything be good enough to have everything secured properly?
Get/Borrow a Torque Wrench, preferably a 200 lb wrench as I believe the lower control arm bolts need to be torqued to some insane amount like 180 or something. VatoZone/Oreilly type places usually have them to borrow.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Get/Borrow a Torque Wrench, preferably a 200 lb wrench as I believe the lower control arm bolts need to be torqued to some insane amount like 180 or something. VatoZone/Oreilly type places usually have them to borrow.
Thank you! That's why you guys are awesome.

Reactions: 2010

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well guys last Sunday me and 2 buddies went ahead and did it. We got the OME front/ rear setup, shackles, new wheels/ tires, door handles, and tow mirrors on in ~ 6.5 hours. It really wasn't bad at all. Thank y'all so much for the encouragement. I've been swamped at work since, but will get pictures up in the next day or two.

Reactions: 2010
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.