Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have developed a knock in my front end when I stop, start, or turn the wheel. Knocks with or without the vehicle in motion. Specs for my lift in my signature. I initially thought that it could be the LR UCAs making some noise as I just got back from a trip wheeling and had to spray lithium grease on my buddies Camburgs, but the LRs use factory ball joints so that would not be the case. I am thinking that it might possibly be the steering rack as I do a lot of wheeling and pulling/backing trailers so the steering wheel goes to full lock quite often. Any thoughts before I have the dealer come pick it up?

Put this up in Tundra Problems forum, but then realized nobody goes there.

· Registered
27 Posts
Not sure if this is the same as I've been experiencing, but from the day I bought my truck, there was a knock/clunk when steering. I would park it and turn left to right 1/4 turns and I would hear this clunking sound every time. After taking it in 3 times in the first 1300 miles of the truck and having 3 sets of Toyota TAS inspectors look at it, they finally took the entire front end apart and noticed that a weld on the steering rack mount had either failed or was not welded from the factory. I just got it back this morning and the sound is finally gone. Hope this helps! Again, not sure if this is the same.

· Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1/4 is right about where I hear it. I sent a message to my contact at the dealer, I will see what he says. Hopefully its not anything serious, but the owner of the dealership has always taken care of me on my vehicles so I am not too worried about it (aside from something breaking turning me into a 6000# uncontrollable battering ram). Thanks for your reply!

· Registered
27 Posts
Any update? I'm interested in hearing what you find out. My dealer called me today to follow up and the noise has not returned. When you find anything out, post your findings.

· Registered
1,894 Posts
failed steering rack, probably the bushings like mine

· Registered
138 Posts
Seems like there was someone a while back that had something like this going on and the rack bolts were loose causing the knock sound.

· Registered
1,894 Posts
Id hate for it to be the rack to, but I just went thru that myself dealer thought it was a control arm but when they investigated further it was a blown rack due to the bushing betting wore out. why it happened ? what caused it ? no one knew.

· Registered
1,894 Posts

· Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could this be the sound transferring to the rack area from the coil spring shifting? It sounds mechanical (makes the noise at the same spot in the turn each time) so a coil spring not seated correctly would also be possible. As I am reading around it seems that the racks do not typically make any noises or anything before the go out.

· Premium Member
3,708 Posts
Had a chance to check your vid out, And agree it sounds to me like a rotating part and not hydraulic. Usually the racks spike and then purge the system blowing the seals out, resulting in fluid loss. Have you jacked the front of the truck up so the tires are just off the ground and duplicating your test? it would also pay to use a solid steel bar or a mechanics stethoscope and listen to the top plates while turning the wheel. Also inspect all the pivoting points up front. Follow up if you would, I'd love to know what it is :)

· Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had a chance to check your vid out, And agree it sounds to me like a rotating part and not hydraulic. Usually the racks spike and then purge the system blowing the seals out, resulting in fluid loss. Have you jacked the front of the truck up so the tires are just off the ground and duplicating your test? it would also pay to use a solid steel bar or a mechanics stethoscope and listen to the top plates while turning the wheel. Also inspect all the pivoting points up front. Follow up if you would, I'd love to know what it is :)
I haven't tried that, but will when its up on Sierra's rack. Another buddy of mine mentioned the top plates as well, seems plausible.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
55 Posts
Not sure if this is the same as I've been experiencing, but from the day I bought my truck, there was a knock/clunk when steering. I would park it and turn left to right 1/4 turns and I would hear this clunking sound every time. After taking it in 3 times in the first 1300 miles of the truck and having 3 sets of Toyota TAS inspectors look at it, they finally took the entire front end apart and noticed that a weld on the steering rack mount had either failed or was not welded from the factory. I just got it back this morning and the sound is finally gone. Hope this helps! Again, not sure if this is the same.
I have a 2012 crew max 2wd and about 8000 miles so far and noticed front end noise, clicking like you described. Left right slight turn, backing and put in drive I can hear that clicking sound. My issue is more like yours comparing to the audio that brockeverly posted. My suspension is still stock. I did not notice the clicking when I had stock wheels on but then I only have the truck six months and new wheels on maybe for 4k miles. :mad:

· Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So Sierra Expeditions got me up on the rack today. Didn't get my shackles installed, but that is for another thread. I told them they symptoms and Will knew right away what it was. Once Kyle got it on the rack he found a cam bolt loose that has to be gorilla tq'd on after alignment. I guess that was causing the noise out of the lower control arm. No more noise, no more banging in the floor board.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.